Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texas man sentenced to two life terms after 10th DWI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Texas man sentenced to two life terms after 10th DWI

Bobby Gene Martin’s brushes with law enforcement for driving drunk date to 1981. But this week, his more than 30-year streak of DWI arrests came to an abrupt end.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morni...-10th-dwi/

He also threatened to kill the arresting officer and his family. So the sentence isn't just for the DUI's.
.217 huh?
Reminds of the local story that just ran the other night about the kids who were mowed down by an intoxicated man who had 3 previous DUIs before this past one. One of the boys ended up needing to have his leg amputated because of this guy.

http://m.news4jax.com/news/recovery-slow...r/30928410
I don't feel any sympathy for folks like this. It's one thing to go out and drink and get a "buzz". But to go out and get flat out chocolate wasted and get behind the wheel is just stupid...

least we know what happened to General William Tecumseh Sherman

[Image: general_william_tecumseh_sherman_jpg.jpg]

Quote:least we know what happened to General William Tecumseh Sherman

Seems like he's burning his way through Texas now!!

Quote:least we know what happened to General William Tecumseh Sherman

I bet this thread blows up into a big Civil War history debate now.
I thought your DL gets taken after 3.
but you don't have to have a DL to get a DWI/DUI...........and if Georgia officials had arrested Sherman things would have been different   :yes:

Quote:I thought your DL gets taken after 3.

It was probably suspended, but that doesn't stop people like him. 

Studies have concluded that, for each time someone is arrested for DUI / DWI, they have probably driven at about the same level of intoxication 30 +/- times without getting caught. The same studies suggest that they drove drunk 80 +/- times before the first time they were caught. 

Quote:but you don't have to have a DL to get a DWI/DUI...........and if Georgia officials had arrested Sherman things would have been different   :yes:

Prosecutors, for the most part, don't care about drunk drivers. They'll just plead it down to reckless and let the guy keep his license. It's all about that win percentage.
Quote:I thought your DL gets taken after 3.

That certainly doesn't stop some people from driving. A few years back I saw a news story about a woman getting her 18th DUI. I'm not sure why she wasn't in prison before that.
Quote:That certainly doesn't stop some people from driving. A few years back I saw a news story about a woman getting her 18th DUI. I'm not sure why she wasn't in prison before that.

She was probably arrested 18 times and convicted on a handful of them. They usually plead down to lesser charges, or they'll spend a couple weeks in jail and use it as time-served.

I don't why they don't take it more seriously.