Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Craft Beer Is Dead. Gose Killed It.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Craft Beer Is Dead. Gose Killed It.

In the beginning -- by which I mean the '80s -- there were, like, five kinds of beer. They were yellow, fizzy, cheap, and widely available, lagers mostly, and people didn’t care that they tasted like metal and corn, or that they were prone to making claims like being "the Champagne of Beers," which is like being the zebra of motorcycles.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/cr...craft-beer

Bout time that crap died.. The elitists will mourn, but its for the greater good..
I quite like a Gose. slightly sour with a bit of a salty edge
Some craft beer is dynamite, but others are obviously trying to be wierd for wierd sake ( at least in my opinion). That being said, to each their own.
Quote:Some craft beer is dynamite, but others are obviously trying to be wierd for wierd sake
( at least in my opinion). That being said, to each their own.

I agree with that. There's a brewery here in town called Strangeways, and they definitely live up to their namesake. Just strange beer.
Quote:Some craft beer is dynamite, but others are obviously trying to be wierd for wierd sake ( at least in my opinion). That being said, to each their own.

Alot of them taste like [BLEEP]
Give me a Newcastle or a Guinness Extra Stout any day over any beer.
A few notes:

1. Gose is not craft beer. It's an import. Get it straight, author.

2. Gose is a sour. Sours are perhaps the most quietly polarizing beers out there--you either love them or you hate them. I love sours, but Gose is too salty and mineraly for my taste.

3. A 90 on BeerAdvocate isn't really all that spectacular. Most of the beers I like are in the 95-99 range.

4. Pronouncing the craft beer movement "dead" because you don't like one brand of import is like saying that the Jaguars are screwed because Toby Gerhart didn't work out. The hundreds of small-batch brewers nationwide, not to mention the tens of thousands (if not more) of home brewers strongly point to the opposite being true. Craft brewing is alive, well, and flourishing in ways it never could have just 20 years ago.

Quote:Bout time that crap died.. The elitists will mourn, but its for the greater good..
Ok, I'll bite. How is it "for the greater good"?

You enjoy your metallic urine, I'll drink my small-batch nectar. To each his own.

Variety is a plus. Not sure why people want less options.
Quote:Craft Beer Is Dead. Gose Killed It.

In the beginning -- by which I mean the '80s -- there were, like, five kinds of beer. They were yellow, fizzy, cheap, and widely available, lagers mostly, and people didn’t care that they tasted like metal and corn, or that they were prone to making claims like being "the Champagne of Beers," which is like being the zebra of motorcycles.

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/cr...craft-beer

The author sounds like an InBev shill.  Finely crafted beer ruined the craft beer industry.  Sure.  Keep trying Budweiser!
Saying craft beer is dead is like someone claiming calculus is dead....no, its not dead, you just don't get it.
Quote:Saying craft beer is dead is like someone claiming calculus is dead....no, its not dead, you just don't get it.
If you find yourself in Denver before I find myself out of it, we need to have a drink.
Filet mignon is dead! Spam eaters unite!!
Quote:If you find yourself in Denver before I find myself out of it, we need to have a drink.

Deal. Holler if you're ever in PDX.
Quote:Variety is a plus. Not sure why people want less options.

Yea pretty much. I'll admit my brain couldn't make much sense of the article, but I go with what I like. I may disagree more than not with beer reviews and "beer snobs" but at least they tried a bunch of beers before making a judgment. I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't care much for domestic lagers, but I also think overly malted beers at the other end of the spectrum are overrated. I do like what goes on inbetween though.
Quote:Deal. Holler if you're ever in PDX.
This man knows what's up  :thumbsup:
Craft beer is still on a steady upward trend in popularity.  There are new breweries, and beer halls opening all over the U.S. like wildfire. 

I have a friend who works for the largest beer distributer in NYC and she says that they can't keep up with orders on certain craft beers and that a new place specializing in craft beer seems to open every couple of weeks in Brooklyn or Manhattan. 

I enjoy stepping out of my usual box from time to time- but have my usual go-to beers frequently. 

This week I had a couple of good "session-able" pale ales.  One from Bells Brewery and another from Captain Lawrence. Both easy drinkers that don't go too wild on the hops or malt -  but remind you often that you aren't swilling a Bud or the like. 

Quote:Saying craft beer is dead is like someone claiming calculus is dead....no, its not dead, you just don't get it.

This. The Tampa/St Pete area has a fantastic wealth of countless breweries. I'm an IPA guy myself.
Beer is beer to me...

As long as its cold
Quote:Filet mignon is dead! Spam eaters unite!!

Still laughing at this two days later.
Pages: 1 2