Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2014 Draft rookie review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bucky Brooks is reviewing each team's 2014 rookies, one division at a time, and describing what teams should focus on at the NFL Scouting Combine. He started with the AFC South.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap3000...stands-out

Here is what Brooks said about the Jaguars:

Quote:<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">GM David Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley are committed to rebuilding the Jaguars by drafting and developing young players. The 2014 class certainly provided a solid foundation for the team's future resurgence, with quarterback Blake Bortles and receivers Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson showing flashes of greatness as first-year players. Of course, those contributions were expected, based on those players' relatively lofty draft status. What made the class a rousing success were the efforts of linebacker Telvin Smith, offensive lineman Brandon Linder, cornerback Aaron Colvin and receiver Allen Hurns (an undrafted free-agent signee). Though Jacksonville won just three games in 2014, that crop of youngsters could be the starting point for a legitimate run at the playoffs, provided Bortles continues to progress as a franchise quarterback. <b>Grade: B+</b>

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"><b>Combine focus:</b> The Jaguars must keep adding playmakers along the defensive line; thus, the team's decision-makers should cast their eyes toward USC defensive tackle/defensive end Leonard Williams. The ultra-athletic defender possesses the kind of explosiveness and versatility that Bradley covets, while displaying the pass-rush skills the team desperately needs. Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregoryand Missouri DE Shane Ray are also possibilities, due to their prowess as pass rushers off the edge.
The Jags had the best drat last year in the AFC and probably the whole NFL.

Quote:The Jags had the best drat last year in the AFC and probably the whole NFL.

Thank you for posting. It was definitely one of the best in the NFL; no doubt about that.  Smile

I am looking forward to seeing how good these guys can be with the new coaches and playing a whole season together.
This thread is sucks

Quote:This thread is sucks

Keep that opinion to yourself next time.
Shouldn't this be over in the Jaguars section? It's specifically discussing the Jaguars players.

If lettuce is 90% water, does that mean the ocean is 10% lettuce?

Quote:Shouldn't this be over in the Jaguars section? It's specifically discussing the Jaguars players.

I put it here because it is about all four AFC South teams.
Quote:If lettuce is 90% water, does that mean the ocean is 10% lettuce?

Lettuce stay on topic please.
Quote:Lettuce stay on topic please.

Lol, thats actually pretty good JW.

Looking at the drafts of all 4 teams, its hard to say the Jaguars had the best draft going away.  The Colts lose by default because they didn't have a first rounder or many picks at all.  They gave a first rounder for Trent Richardson.  lol

The Jaguars just have to hope those players develop.
Quote:Bucky Brooks is reviewing each team's 2014 rookies, one division at a time, and describing what teams should focus on at the NFL Scouting Combine. He started with the AFC South.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0ap3000...stands-out

Here is what Brooks said about the Jaguars:

It's amazing how many of those draft picks 'appear' to be hits. You're lucky if you can hit on half or even a 1/4, but to get quality starters and potentiatlly stars (Linder, Colvin, T. Smith & Hurns) in the mid/late part of the draft is incredible! It's amazing that Gene Smith would only draft special teams players in the middle to late rounds so he could tout that he drafted starters.

This re-build would have taken yearsssss in lesser hands. Dave had to hit on a large number to meet that 3 year re-build goal, and it seems he did. I can't wait to see how this draft fairs.
Screw you guys for ripping on JW for a good post. And of course the ocean is 10 percent lettuce, noob. A better question (with more challenging mathematications) would ask how much lettuce is floating in your body, since the average adult male body is around 60% water and 15-40% beer.

Anyways, back to the post. I think the Jags had a great draft, but things can change so suddenly from year to year that it's almost pointless to grade a guy until after he's spent a few years establishing his career. Look at Ace Sanders; and I'm not trying to be mr negatory here, but all of us thought he was going to be a player after his rookie year. For whatever reasons, it now looks like he won't get a 3rd year on the roster. Who didn't think Cecil Shorts would be a foundation player? Mike Thomas, yada yada.

The thing is, I'm not expecting every one of those guys that showed promise in year one to automatically step it up in the future (of course I hope for it). That being said, while I don't think it's practical to assign a permanent, final draft grade as of yet, to not give Dave Caldwell an A+ for his efforts last April is a joke.

Good post
Quote:Lettuce stay on topic please.

My life is now complete.
No telling how this draft class pans out - but with so many of them seeing the field in their rookie seasons and showing promise - it's hard to imagine not coming away with at least two long term starters and a couple of contributors. 

Personally - I think 4, maybe even 5 of them will be starters in 2015 and beyond.  That's kinda' crazy.  

Quote:No telling how this draft class pans out - but with so many of them seeing the field in their rookie seasons and showing promise - it's hard to imagine not coming away with at least two long term starters and a couple of contributors. 

Personally - I think 4, maybe even 5 of them will be starters in 2015 and beyond.  That's kinda' crazy.  

That's just because we are not used to that anymore. We are used to our draft picks struggling, just not playing up to their draft spot (the 1st/2nd rd picks anyway) and not coming anywhere close to be what you could consider a very good player/NFL starter.

When that changes, the Jags will start getting better again.

Hopefully it started in 2014.