Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New MLB Commish open to talking about Pete Rose being reinstated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pete Rose may get his shot at the Hall of Fame.  The new commissioner is open to having the conversation.

I was never a fan of Rose, but his numbers as  a player certainly warrant consideration.

The fact that he's not in there equates to the hall being that of a sham. Saving face?
Let the man in already! He never bet against his team did he?
I agree, he deserves to be in.

Anyone catch the Super Bowl commercial he was in that poked fun at himself? Good stuff

Quote:Let the man in already! He never bet against his team did he?

Yes
Would love to see it. Cannot imagine there would be a more watched or attended ceremony when it got in.

Quote:Yes

I thought he only bet on his team to win. Of course, we only have Pete's word on that.

I'm torn. Pete Rose was a great player who made the most of his abilities. On the other hand, he ended Ray Fosse's career in a meaningless game. I think his desire to maintain a reputation as a tough, hustling ball player led him to overdo it in that situation.
I could care less if he makes the HOF or not BUT he was well aware of the history with gambling in his sport and knew that if he was caught doing what he was doing the consequences for his actions would be severe. I'm well aware of how addictive gambling can be because I have a close family member who has lost almost she has because the addiction can be overwhelming. But that's no excuse for him IMO. He made good money playing a kids game and then was given the opportunity to manage a team but that wasn't enough for him. He has also never really seemed genuinely contrite about his actions and seemed to be sorry only because he got caught. If he gets in being a known rule-breaker, expect players like Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Mark McGuire to make their cries for inclusion to be heard loud and often.
Quote:I thought he only bet on his team to win. Of course, we only have Pete's word on that.

I'm torn. Pete Rose was a great player who made the most of his abilities. On the other hand, he ended Ray Fosse's career in a meaningless game. I think his desire to maintain a reputation as a tough, hustling ball player led him to overdo it in that situation.

I couldn't stand him (even more) since that play.
Quote:I thought he only bet on his team to win. Of course, we only have Pete's word on that.

Like what you and Rico expressed,  the Ray Fosse play in the All Star game greatly influences how I feel about Pete Rose.

Even if Pete Rose only bet on his own team to win,   I still believe that's enough of a reason to keep him out of the HOF.   As a manager,  you can leave in pitchers too long,  putting their careers at jeopardy.    Nothing can convince me that Rose was acting in the best interest of the Cincinnati Reds organization and the players he managed.
Pete Rose dosent deserve to be in the Hall of fame. After all the years he continuously spit in the face of the HOF Committee by having his baseball autograph signings across the street and released his book the same day as the induction was taking place one year just goes to show he mocks them.

The only way he gets in maybe is (unfortunately) through posthumous terms.

Quote:Yes

I thought he only bet on his team winning...not that they would lose. I don't follow baseball, so I don't really know all the particulars about his case.
Quote:I thought he only bet on his team winning...not that they would lose. I don't follow baseball, so I don't really know all the particulars about his case.

He only ADMITTED to betting on his team when winning. Come on now. He was a gambler. I really don't believe if he had 'inside information' he isn't going to use it. Don't forget, he denied for quite a while that he even bet on baseball.
Quote:He only ADMITTED to betting on his team when winning. Come on now. He was a gambler. I really don't believe if he had 'inside information' he isn't going to use it. Don't forget, he denied for quite a while that he even bet on baseball.

I don't know the whole back story...I thought they had discovered he only bet on them to win, not that it was what he was claiming.
So here’s my interesting Pete Rose story.  I don’t know if I’ve posted here or not.

Man…probably 15 years ago my wife wanted to try out network marketing…HerbaLife to be exact.  We were all gung-ho into it for the first year and went to a bunch of local conventions.  

We went down to one of the Disney hotels for a big shindig.  They always put their ‘top producers’ on stage to try to get you all stoked up.  They put this one guy up on stage, Tommy Gioisia.  Very dynamic, high energy, speaker.

The whole time he was on stage it was bugging me that I thought I knew this guy from somewhere.  I couldn’t shake it. 

About two speakers after he got off stage I turned to my wife and said, ‘I think that guy had something to do with Pete Rose.’

I got home and did a search and it turned out that I was right.  He was one of the witnesses against Rose.

I don't think he actually ended Fosse's career, although it was a cheap (but legal) shot taken in a meaningless game and it did alter his career.  Fosse continued to play for a while afterward, but the shoulder injury eventually was too much to tolerate.    

Personally, I never liked Pete Rose.  I had an opportunity as a kid to watch him play a spring training game.  This was late in his career.  A bunch of kids from my athletic association went down to see the Reds play the Minnesota Twins in Orlando.  Our coach at the time was a former pitcher in the Cubs organization, and he still had a lot of contacts in the league.  He set us up with an opportunity to get some autographs.  Pete Rose was the only guy who didn't stick around.  My coach, who is still a good friend of mine, said that was pretty much par for the course with "Charlie Hustle".  Meanwhile, guys like Johnny Bench managed to take 15 minutes out of their day to make a bunch of kids happy.  Granted, I was a Thurman Munson fan, but, I still have my catcher's mitt that Johnny Bench autographed.   

Pete Rose deserves to be reinstated so that he can be considered for the HOF based on his numbers.  Do I think he deserves to be in the hall?  Nope.  But, I think it would really deflate his ego to be eligible and STILL not get in. 
I just don't see how MLB can let him back in. Sports Leagues can withstand a lot of sins, but when there is a question of the competitive nature of the League, i.e. games being "fixed", they can't withstand that kind of damage.

It's always seemed to me that fans will support people who have erred and fought back against their demons, but they won't do it if they feel like the player doesn't / didn't care about winning or losing, and gambling has that perception stuck to it.

Quote:I don't think he actually ended Fosse's career, although it was a cheap (but legal) shot taken in a meaningless game and it did alter his career. Fosse continued to play for a while afterward, but the shoulder injury eventually was too much to tolerate.

Literally...no, he didn't end his career.

But the guy was a budding superstar. He was more or less the AL comparison to Johnny Bench.

Rose turned him into a scrub with one cheap play. I don't know if you are old enough to have actually seen the play, but Fosse was nowhere near ready for that kind of play. It was uncalled for.

On a completely separate note. I grew up a huge baseball fan in the Philly burbs. I bet I was at Connie Mack and Veterans Stadium damn close to..or maybe even over..1000 times. Talk about conflicted when the Phillies signed Rose. It was like I had to cheer for Satan.
Never got a chance to see him play, but other than he was a great hitter and hustled all the time, I really have never read anything good about the guy.