Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Congressman talks about being in Congress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.vox.com/2015/2/5/7978823/congress-secrets

Thought this was a pretty good read. 

Interesting read, good link. I don't think it's a shocker to anyone congress is broken, it has been for a long time.

Quote:Interesting read, good link. I don't think it's a shocker to anyone congress is broken, it has been for a long time.
I especially liked the candor about gerymandering, lobbying and campaign finance (fundraising). All things relatively well informed people are aware but still. 
Have any of you watched House of Cards? Kevin Spacey was asked in an interview if what is portrayed in the show is anywhere near the real thing (he spent some time with Congress members before filming the first season to get a feel of what it's really like so he could play a believable character). He said it's scary how close the show comes to showing what actually happens. And if you've ever seen the show you know that's saying something. 

Man, that's some truth right there. It's a shame that it won't change anything. And the fact that our country depends on folks who are willing to be unethical is so...... I don't even know the word. I mean, it's one thing to know this stuff happens. But really know it happens due to articles like this from an insider is just jacked up. 

Nothing ever is as it seems anymore. Politicians haven't cared about this country in a very long time.

Quote:Man, that's some truth right there. It's a shame that it won't change anything. And the fact that our country depends on folks who are willing to be unethical is so...... I don't even know the word. I mean, it's one thing to know this stuff happens. But really know it happens due to articles like this from an insider is just jacked up. 

Nothing ever is as it seems anymore. Politicians haven't cared about this country in a very long time.
We need to scream 'Murica just a little louder. That'll fix everything!!!

I kid, I kid... It's all mucked up
Make it smaller, from top to bottom, giving them more power and making the institution more influential will never lead to less corruption.

Quote:Make it smaller, from top to bottom, giving them more power and making the institution more influential will never lead to less corruption.
Get rid of the money and financial benefits first or nothing else will happen. 
I think Justice John Paul Stevens said it well in his dissent of the Citizens United vs FEC SCOTUS case:

Quote: 

At bottom, the Court's opinion is thus a rejection of the common sense of the American people, who have recognized a need to prevent corporations from undermining self government since the founding, and who have fought against the distinctive corrupting potential of corporate electioneering since the days of Theodore Roosevelt. It is a strange time to repudiate that common sense. While American democracy is imperfect, few outside the majority of this Court would have thought its flaws included a dearth of corporate money in politics.
Quote:I think Justice John Paul Stevens said it well in his dissent of the Citizens United vs FEC SCOTUS case:

Thanks for sharing that, had somehow never read it.
Quote:Thanks for sharing that, had somehow never read it.

Have you heard of Bernie Sanders' "Saving American Democracy Amendment"?  It hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the media, but it's one that I definitely support.
Quote:Have you heard of Bernie Sanders' "Saving American Democracy Amendment"?  It hasn't gotten a lot of attention in the media, but it's one that I definitely support.
i have yes. I like me some Bernie Sanders. It's gonna be fun watching him debate Hillary.