Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Scelfos New Role
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloran  1m1 minute ago
#Jaguars' Frank Scelfo, formerly QB coach, has been moved to senior offensive assistant.

No idea what this actually means but I am digging the new coaching staff. Make or Break for you Gussy boy.
It is possible that Gus is using the Seahawks system to create his own Coaching staff. As i have stated that i think he is keeping some coaches to learn from the more experienced coaches. It is possible that Scelfo is in line to move up to OC and for him to learn from olson so if olson succeeds and moves on to a HC gig in 2 years Scelfo is already in place to step up. As will be butkus for oline. When Gus was in Seattle Dan quinn was the asst HC/DL coach then went to Florida to be DC after one year when Gus left Dan was called back to Seattle to be the DC. So promotion from with in keeps consistancy and i think that is what GUs is trying to establish here get experienced coaches in here for a year or two and let your asst learn and gain knowledge so you can keep the ball rolling for years to come by promoting from within.

Of course this is only my personal theory and im sure ppl will tell me its wrong. but hey

#becauseoffseason

Looks like Seattle will be moving their DB coach to DC to replace dan quinn. So if Gus learns from Carrol and  promoting from within seems to be his way in Seattle .

Wow - too many cooks in the kitchen...  Unless they plan on going VERY heavy offensively in the draft thus needing many coaches.

Quote:It is possible that Gus is using the Seahawks system to create his own Coaching staff. As i have stated that i think he is keeping some coaches to learn from the more experienced coaches. It is possible that Scelfo is in line to move up to OC and for him to learn from olson so if olson succeeds and moves on to a HC gig in 2 years Scelfo is already in place to step up. As will be butkus for oline. When Gus was in Seattle Dan quinn was the asst HC/DL coach then went to Florida to be DC after one year when Gus left Dan was called back to Seattle to be the DC. So promotion from with in keeps consistancy and i think that is what GUs is trying to establish here get experienced coaches in here for a year or two and let your asst learn and gain knowledge so you can keep the ball rolling for years to come by promoting from within.

Of course this is only my personal theory and im sure ppl will tell me its wrong. but hey

#becauseoffseason

Looks like Seattle will be moving their DB coach to DC to replace dan quinn. So if Gus learns from Carrol and  promoting from within seems to be his way in Seattle .

I think you are right. It's acutally a good strategy to mix the experience of older coaches and fresh ideas of younger ones. They can learn from each other and at the same time they are also prepared to step up if one of them is promoted or leaves for another team (like Dan Quinn and some other of our positional coaches did now). Pete Carroll's staff has one or more of assistant coaches to almost all positional coaches. I don't know if he was the one who started that (probably not), but I could see that trend to spread around the league. If I'm not mistaken there are no restrictions about how many coaches and other personell one team can have, as long as the owner wants to pay them. And I think all owners who want to win (so probably all 32, although I have serious doubts about some of them) would pay to have a good coaching staff. I know quantity doesn't always equal quality but I still think this is a good strategy as far as everyone know his exact role on the team. And that's up to HC and both coordinators.
Quote:Wow - too many cooks in the kitchen...  Unless they plan on going VERY heavy offensively in the draft thus needing many coaches.

What it is like one more coach than last year?

OMG!!! TOO MANY COOKS! TOO MANY COOKS!!!!

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'>[Image: 05c384a89ebb1b1a849ff289404e3d64_normal.jpeg] <b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span> <span>@ryanohalloran </span> </span> </a>  ·  <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/563370803778322433' title="8:17 AM - 5 Feb 2015"> <span>9m 9 minutes ago </a> </span>
</div>
<p class=""><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'>#<b>Jaguars</b></a> add title of run-game coordinator to DL coach Todd Wash's role.

<p class=""> 

<p class="">DL coach the run game Coordinator?

Quote: 

<div>
<div>DL coach the run game Coordinator?
</div>

</div>
Defensive running-game coordinator, not offensive. Seems like they're marginalizing Babich even further.
Quote:Wow - too many cooks in the kitchen...  Unless they plan on going VERY heavy offensively in the draft thus needing many coaches.

I don't see it that way at all.  You've got a new position coach with Tackett, a guy Bortles has a close working relationship with in Scelfo, and a new coordinator in Olson.  This shows the level of commitment they've made to making the offense better this year, and it shows they recognize that for that to happen, they first need to support the centerpiece. 

none of what you said even makes sense. 
Quote:none of what you said even makes sense. 

Par for the course for this one unfortunately.
Michael DiRocco ‏@ESPNdirocco  3m3 minutes ago
Gus says challenge is to figure out if Hackett, Olson, Marrone can mesh ideas together. All three are former OCs

Shouldn't they have already had this discussion before hiring all of them? 
Quote:Michael DiRocco ‏@ESPNdirocco 3m3 minutes ago

Gus says challenge is to figure out if Hackett, Olson, Marrone can mesh ideas together. All three are former OCs

It's not something a discussion can determine.
Quote: 

<div>Michael DiRocco ‏@ESPNdirocco  3m3 minutes ago

</div>

I'm fairly certain he would have put some consideration into this prior to hiring anyone.  Hackett and Marrone have already proven they can work together, and in the end, it's Olson's offense they'll be running, so if there was an inkling they wouldn't mesh, the hiring status would have been different.
Head ice cream scooper, amirite guys!? HAHAH see what i did there?!?11
Quote:I'm fairly certain he would have put some consideration into this prior to hiring anyone.  Hackett and Marrone have already proven they can work together, and in the end, it's Olson's offense they'll be running, so if there was an inkling they wouldn't mesh, the hiring status would have been different.
So if there is no inkling they won't mesh, why is it a challenge?

<div>[Image: 05c384a89ebb1b1a849ff289404e3d64_normal.jpeg] <b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span> <span>@ryanohalloran </span> </span>  ·  <span>43m 43 minutes ago </span>
</div>
Gus said part of Scelfo's role will be look a week ahead to next opponent.

<div>[Image: 05c384a89ebb1b1a849ff289404e3d64_normal.jpeg] <b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span> <span>@ryanohalloran </span> </span>  ·  <span>42m 42 minutes ago </span>
</div>
Gus said he and Marrone got to know each other at owner's meeting last two years.

Those are some quotes form Gus's Presser today. More to come.
Quote:So if there is no inkling they won't mesh, why is it a challenge?
Different people.  Different personalities.  As long as they understand their role, they'll mesh just fine.
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'><b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span> <span>@ryanohalloran </span> </span> </a>  ·  <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/563379320639729665'> <span>41m 41 minutes ago </a> </span>

<p class="">Gus on Marrone's presence: "I think it's great for me."

<p class=""> 

<p class=""> 

<p class=""><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'><b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span> <span>@ryanohalloran </span> </span> </a>  ·  <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/563386546787979264' title="9:19 AM - 5 Feb 2015"> <span>15m 15 minutes ago </a> </span>

<div>
<p class="">"First and foremost, it's about Blake." -- Olson.

<p class=""> 

<p class=""><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran'><b>Ryan O'Halloran</b> <span> <span>@ryanohalloran </span> </span> </a>  ·  <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/status/563387323275284480' title="9:22 AM - 5 Feb 2015"> <span>13m 13 minutes ago </a> </span>

<div>
<p class="">Olson: "We'll be in line with Gus' vision is," (as an offense).

</div>
<p class=""> 

</div>
Quote:Head ice cream scooper, amirite guys!? HAHAH see what i did there?!?11

High-5 for you sir. You won the internet today. #sickburn

[Image: fauriadance1.gif]