Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A Win for Net Neutrality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/04...13494.html

Looks like Wheeler is starting to get on board with Net Neutrality.  The importance of which prevents companies like Netflix from having to pay a premium to have faster speeds to their customers, and prevents individuals like you and me from paying extra for access to those same sites like in the image below:

[Image: 8c32RUU.jpg]

That's good!
What is that chart from?

It is excellent news.

However current congress is rushing to pass a bill that would gut the FCC's ability to do this let alone enforce anything. Give you one guess as to which part of congress and for what reason. 

Quote:It is excellent news.

However current congress is rushing to pass a bill that would gut the FCC's ability to do this let alone enforce anything. Give you one guess as to which part of congress and for what reason. 

Can't Obama just Veto it though?  I don't think they'd have a good shot at overturning a veto on this issue.  
Quote:Can't Obama just Veto it though?  I don't think they'd have a good shot at overturning a veto on this issue.  
While likely to happen they could tie it in with a bill he doesn't want to veto... Like say a spending bill perhaps? Im not sure if something like this could be tied into a spending bill to be honest.
Not going to lie in the last 48 hours I've heard some disturbing stuff about this net neutrality. Something about 300 pages of the regulations not being made public? Another pass it to read it deal?

It's a way to a back door tax of the internet. It will stifle investment and eventually lead to censorship. This is NOT a win, it's a loss of freedom. It it ain't broke, don't fix it

Quote:It's a way to a back door tax of the internet. It will stifle investment and eventually lead to censorship. This is NOT a win, it's a loss of freedom. It it ain't broke, don't fix it

Sure thing, Verizon.

It's absolutely a win for freedom. Censorship is what would happen if we didn't pass net neutrality.  Lack of net neutrality is what would kill investment, because it'd kill start up companies who'd have to pay outrageous fees just to have equal access to already established companies like Netflix and Facebook.
Quote:Sure thing, Verizon.

It's absolutely a win for freedom. Censorship is what would happen if we didn't pass net neutrality.  Lack of net neutrality is what would kill investment, because it'd kill start up companies who'd have to pay outrageous fees just to have equal access to already established companies like Netflix and Facebook.

Yeah but 300 pages of hidden regulations makes me a little suspicious of what their really up to. I'm not ready to call it a win or a loss but I'm always cautious when they don't want to make new laws and regulations open and public until after passing it.

hoping for the best, expecting the worse.
Quote:Yeah but 300 pages of hidden regulations makes me a little suspicious of what their really up to. I'm not ready to call it a win or a loss but I'm always cautious when they don't want to make new laws and regulations open and public until after passing it.

Stupid is as stupid does. I'd suggest you stop going to partisan websites for your 'news.'
From the U.S. Chamber of Commerce

FCC Will Treat 21st Century Internet Like 20th Century Phone System

Well, we finally know what are the details in FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler’s plan to regulate the Internet.

And also as expected, it’s not pretty.

The FCC decided to look backward, not forward, by treating the Internet, the wellspring of 21<sup>st</sup> Century innovation, like the 20<sup>th</sup> Century phone network.

The FCC voted 3-2 to reclassify Internet access as a telecommunications service and impose net neutrality regulations, Fox News reports:

https://www.uschamber.com/blog/fcc-will-...ign=Status

Quote:Yeah but 300 pages of hidden regulations makes me a little suspicious of what their really up to. I'm not ready to call it a win or a loss but I'm always cautious when they don't want to make new laws and regulations open and public until after passing it.

Here's a fact sheet for you:

http://media.npr.org/documents/2015/feb/...ternet.pdf
Quote:Here's a fact sheet for you:

http://media.npr.org/documents/2015/feb/...ternet.pdf

That's great a 4 page fact sheet, what's on the other 300 pages they refused to make public?
Quote:Stupid is as stupid does. I'd suggest you stop going to partisan websites for your 'news.'

didn't get it from a website, it's public knowledge that over 300 pages of regulations are not being made public prior to the vote today. I'm asking what's in that 300 pages they don't want us to know?

stupid is accepting at face value government is just trying to protect you from the big bad capitalist.
Quote:That's great a 4 page fact sheet, what's on the other 300 pages they refused to make public?

My question exactly
Just like with the ACA, they didn't give us all the details and now everyone decries it as horrible legislation. So why the heck doesn't anyone question them doing it all over again. Don't give me a highlight real, tell me what your really doing then we can figure out if its good or not.

Quote:That's great a 4 page fact sheet, what's on the other 300 pages they refused to make public?
That fact sheet goes over what the rules do and what they do not do.

How many 300+ page government reports have you actually read?  I mean you bring up the ACA, but have you actually read it?  

Quote:That fact sheet goes over what the rules do and what they do not do.

How many 300+ page government reports have you actually read?

How many have you read? They do say "The Devil is in the details"  A 4 page synopsis is not going to cut it with me. Give me the whole damn thing. Not this "We need to pass it so we'll know what's in it" Bull. Is this like "If you like your internet you can keep your internet?"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7