Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bodybuilding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone else into it?

I've posted about it once or twice but I used to be very heavy.  As in 5'8 305 pounds heavy.  A few years ago I decided to make some changes and throughout the last two years lost over 150 pounds.  Once I got down to a certain point I started to go to the gym and in the last year I've become fascinated with bodybuilding.  I'm in my "bulking" stage for the winter and have gained 22 pounds so far.  I'm considering competing in a competition if I can get my body where I would like it to.  Either later this year or next would be the timeframe I'm thinking.  It's not something I have to do and not a big goal of mine but something I've considered.

Have any of you ever done a bodybuilding competition before?  

I lift regularly these days and eat like a mad man trying to gain weight.  It's a far cry from where I was a few years ago trying to get myself fit and lose the fat. I lost the weight without going to the gym, it was done at home with my own workout equipment and P90X.  Since I began lifting at the gym I've become addicted to it.  It's definitely a permanent part of my life now.

I love weight training but am limited due to a nerve issue in my foot and a shoulder issue, both of which have been repaired as well as they're going to be. I've been in the gym for 2 years but hit my limit after about a year, so now I do maintenance weight training and Jillian Michaels DVDs to stay fit. I love working out. It helps with depression and I like being strong enough and able to do stuff without having to wait around for my husband to help me. 

I'm one of those people who will try to get every last shopping bag in one trip and I can almost do it if I don't have too many bags to fit in my hands. Lol.

Quote:Anyone else into it?

I've posted about it once or twice but I used to be very heavy.  As in 5'8 305 pounds heavy.  A few years ago I decided to make some changes and throughout the last two years lost over 150 pounds.  Once I got down to a certain point I started to go to the gym and in the last year I've become fascinated with bodybuilding.  I'm in my "bulking" stage for the winter and have gained 22 pounds so far.  I'm considering competing in a competition if I can get my body where I would like it to.  Either later this year or next would be the timeframe I'm thinking.  It's not something I have to do and not a big goal of mine but something I've considered.

I lift regularly these days and eat like a mad man trying to gain weight.  It's a far cry from where I was a few years ago trying to get myself fit and lose the fat. I lost the weight without going to the gym, it was done at home with my own workout equipment and P90X.  Since I began lifting at the gym I've become addicted to it.  It's definitely a permanent part of my life now.

I have a friend that has done a ton of "natural" competitions out in Vegas.  The guy is in amazing shape, and he's approaching 40.  He usually places top 3 with a couple wins.

I don't work out to add bulk anymore.  It's more about fitness for me.  I had surgery a year and a half ago that really set me back.  I'm finally getting back to where I was pre surgery.  I did 120 box jumps (among other stuff) today and felt pretty good after.  I'm still a big guy, but my weight is trending down.  Losing half your body weight is a pretty big feat.  When I hate the 210/220 mark thats pretty much my breaking point and can't go anymore.  I'm trying to get back there now.
Good for you man! Not my thing but mad respect for the people that put in the effort.

My Brother in law/best friend is into it, sometimes he gets a little annoying with all his "gym" talk but I'm the same way about stuff I enjoy.

I've posted about it once or twice but I used to be very heavy. As in 5'8 305 pounds heavy. A few years ago I decided to make some changes and throughout the last two years lost over 150 pounds. Once I got down to a certain point I started to go to the gym and in the last year I've become fascinated with bodybuilding. I'm in my "bulking" stage for the winter and have gained 22 pounds so far. I'm considering competing in a competition if I can get my body where I would like it to. Either later this year or next would be the timeframe I'm thinking. It's not something I have to do and not a big goal of mine but something I've considered.

I lift regularly these days and eat like a mad man trying to gain weight. It's a far cry from where I was a few years ago trying to get myself fit and lose the fat. I lost the weight without going to the gym, it was done at home with my own workout equipment and P90X. Since I began lifting at the gym I've become addicted to it. It's definitely a permanent part of my life now.

How much did you loose on your first go around with P90X? Was it as hard as they say it is?
Quote:I love weight training but am limited due to a nerve issue in my foot and a shoulder issue, both of which have been repaired as well as they're going to be. I've been in the gym for 2 years but hit my limit after about a year, so now I do maintenance weight training and Jillian Michaels DVDs to stay fit. I love working out. It helps with depression and I like being strong enough and able to do stuff without having to wait around for my husband to help me. 

I'm one of those people who will try to get every last shopping bag in one trip and I can almost do it if I don't have too many bags to fit in my hands. Lol.

This is me too!  I refuse to make more than one trip.  Shoulder issues can be a real hinder, I know that all too well.  That and lower back injuries.  My lower back gives me fits from an old high school injury.  I have to be careful with what I do and it's slowed me down a time or two.

Quote:I have a friend that has done a ton of "natural" competitions out in Vegas.  The guy is in amazing shape, and he's approaching 40.  He usually places top 3 with a couple wins.

I don't work out to add bulk anymore.  It's more about fitness for me.  I had surgery a year and a half ago that really set me back.  I'm finally getting back to where I was pre surgery.  I did 120 box jumps (among other stuff) today and felt pretty good after.  I'm still a big guy, but my weight is trending down.  Losing half your body weight is a pretty big feat.  When I hate the 210/220 mark thats pretty much my breaking point and can't go anymore.  I'm trying to get back there now.

Yeah I'm a "natural" guy myself.  I'm sure eventually I'll trend more towards fitness at some point but for now I'm still young enough and my body hasn't shot me down yet.  I've been very lucky and I'm thankful to have avoided an injury that would set me back.  120 box jumps is impressive, my cardio is so bad right now I'd need an ambulance on standby if I attempted 120 box jumps.  That or it'd take me 6 hours.  The beginning was my slowest/toughest stage.  I only dropped around 25-30 pounds the first year then I really kicked it into gear after that.  Getting under 200 was a big day for me and now I'm striving to get back above it.  Funny how things worked out.  Just a few years ago I never in my wildest dreams would have pictured me to be where I am now.

Quote:Good for you man! Not my thing but mad respect for the people that put in the effort.

My Brother in law/best friend is into it, sometimes he gets a little annoying with all his "gym" talk but I'm the same way about stuff I enjoy.

Thanks Eric!  Yeah I'm not necessarily one of those guys that talks about it 24/7 and I'm not going to post on Facebook every time that I'm in the gym. No gym selfies either but I do enjoy talking about fitness.  Definitely a passion of mine.  
Quote:How much did you loose on your first go around with P90X? Was it as hard as they say it is?

I had lost over 100 pounds before I worked up the confidence to try it.  It sure isn't easy if you want to keep their pace and depending on the weight you use.  The hardest workout for me, hands down, was the Yoga.  That stuff is killer and I've never sweat so much in my life.  It's a fantastic workout though, I'd recommend yoga to just about anyone.  Though P90X yoga is a little more intense than your typical yoga.

Forgot to answer the initial question.  I lost in the area of 20-25 pounds. I did part of a 2nd round then about halfway through decided to get a gym membership to change my routine up.

Congrats on the results.

After finishing school, getting a desk job and having kids I gained weight.

I am 6'3. At my heaviest I was around 240. That was in spring 2010. Over the next year or so , I lost around 60 pounds. All through eating good and exercise.

Now I struggle to gain weight. I go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I run and cycle regularly. I have been doing the Joe Manganiello Evolution workout from his book. My goal is to gain about 10 pounds of muscle.
My husband has P90X and I've wanted to try it but I don't know that my shoulder and foot would hold up. I already have to modify some of the stuff in the workouts I do now and they're not as intense as P90X. Jillian is tough but not crazy. I curse my injuries but have to accept them since they're not going away. If not for them I would be heavy into weight lifting. But I'm thankful for what I can do. I want to be mobile when I'm older and not like my parents and in-laws who never did much and feel like crap physically. I'm 42 now so I think I've got a good head start.

Do you follow a specific eating plan? I eat every 3 hours; 3 meals and the rest snacks. My new favorite snack is edamame with a sprinkle of salt. They're a good balance of calories, carbs, fat and protein for snacking. I like a specific yogurt called siggi's (it's an Icelandic skyr. We have it up here in Harris Teeter which is like Publix) with some granola after a workout. Or some quinoa and black beans. My biggest treat is a couple of squares of dark chocolate with peanut butter on them every other night or so. I'm not a big sweet eater.

Quote:Thanks Eric!  Yeah I'm not necessarily one of those guys that talks about it 24/7 and I'm not going to post on Facebook every time that I'm in the gym. No gym selfies either but I do enjoy talking about fitness.  Definitely a passion of mine.  

Yup I get it, when people hear me talk about homesteading they think I'm crazy and annoying. But I'm absolutely 100% obsessed with being self sufficient 100% within the next 15 years. That means we want to make our own electricity, harvest our own water, have no debt (at all), grow all our own food, and fabricate clothing if needed (although it wouldn't be a full time thing just something capable of gathering the materials and having the skill set to do it)
Quote:Congrats on the results.

After finishing school, getting a desk job and having kids I gained weight.

I am 6'3. At my heaviest I was around 240. That was in spring 2010. Over the next year or so , I lost around 60 pounds. All through eating good and exercise.

Now I struggle to gain weight. I go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I run and cycle regularly. I have been doing the Joe Manganiello Evolution workout from his book. My goal is to gain about 10 pounds of muscle.

Having a desk job effected me too.  On top of that we work in a small room, not a lot of room to get up and move in.  I try to get out of my chair often and move as much as I can.  I wish that I had your height!  I also wish I could say I ran regularly.  I'm not a runner and never have been.  I stomp my feet and it hurts my shins too much.  I try to run "light" on my feet but I end up looking like a moron and it feels awkward.  Then I run and people take shelter because they think a group of elephants is running wild. I haven't seen Joe's Evolution workout, I'll have to take a look at it.  I'm partially doing Jay Cutler's 8 week mass program and partially incorporating my own stuff. It's worked good for me thus far.  Congrats on losing 60 pounds, that's not easy to do.  It's incredible what eating good and exercising can do.
Kickass dude, it's most exciting about the willpower you showed to get out of one habit and into another one.  That can be so hard.

Have some friends who are super into it. Just be careful about the broscience out there, it can be very dangerous.

Quote:My husband has P90X and I've wanted to try it but I don't know that my shoulder and foot would hold up. I already have to modify some of the stuff in the workouts I do now and they're not as intense as P90X. Jillian is tough but not crazy. I curse my injuries but have to accept them since they're not going away. If not for them I would be heavy into weight lifting. But I'm thankful for what I can do. I want to be mobile when I'm older and not like my parents and in-laws who never did much and feel like crap physically. I'm 42 now so I think I've got a good head start.

Do you follow a specific eating plan? I eat every 3 hours; 3 meals and the rest snacks. My new favorite snack is edamame with a sprinkle of salt. They're a good balance of calories, carbs, fat and protein for snacking. I like a specific yogurt called siggi's (it's an Icelandic skyr. We have it up here in Harris Teeter which is like Publix) with some granola after a workout. Or some quinoa and black beans. My biggest treat is a couple of squares of dark chocolate with peanut butter on them every other night or so. I'm not a big sweet eater.

A lot of P90X can be modified but it isn't always an easy modification in my opinion.  It's easy for them because they happen to have bars hanging all over the place they can use to wrap their bands around etc. to make it easier.  I don't follow any particular eating plan.  Right now I eat a lot of a lot of things.  I'm inching towards getting over 4000 calories on a regular basis.  I rarely measure my food though anymore because I can rarely eat too much it seems.  Though I've gained a lot of weight a lot of it has been good weight.  I've worked hard to keep it that way.  I eat a lot of ground turkey, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, the usual.  Eggs too.  I love eggs.  

Chocolate milk is my go to.  I drink it by the gallon!  I eat several times a day and even more if I'm feeling hungry. If I'm hungry, I'll usually snack on something.  Whether that be a protein shake, string cheese, hardboiled eggs.  I eat "boring" but it all works for me and I don't mind it.  I catch a hard time from people for it but that's okay.  Peanut butter is another big food for me.

I wish that I could make myself eat yogurt but that is something I have never been able to acquire a taste for.  I can't even choke it down.

Now once I get closer to deciding on a competition I will alter how/what I eat.  I'll start paying more attention to my macros but for now its eat eat eat.

Quote:Yup I get it, when people hear me talk about homesteading they think I'm crazy and annoying. But I'm absolutely 100% obsessed with being self sufficient 100% within the next 15 years. That means we want to make our own electricity, harvest our own water, have no debt (at all), grow all our own food, and fabricate clothing if needed (although it wouldn't be a full time thing just something capable of gathering the materials and having the skill set to do it)

See I find this interesting and good for you for going for it.  The hardest of all those for me may be the no debt.  Thanks, student loans, for that wonderful debt.
good for you scarecrow, very impressive

just don't get full of yourself and it will be a most epic endeavor

I dug my car out of the snow today.  Does that count?  :teehee:

My back hurts….  Someone fetch me a hydro-perco-contin and a G&T, stat!!

Quote:Kickass dude, it's most exciting about the willpower you showed to get out of one habit and into another one.  That can be so hard.

Have some friends who are super into it. Just be careful about the broscience out there, it can be very dangerous.

Thanks my man.

I'm well versed in bioscience.   :yes:

Quote:good for you scarecrow, very impressive

just don't get full of yourself and it will be a most epic endeavor

Thanks, ib.  I'm probably the opposite of being full of myself and I don't expect that to be a problem.   :thumbsup:
Good work, Scarecrow.   :thumbsup:

Quote:I dug my car out of the snow today.  Does that count?  :teehee:

My back hurts….  Someone fetch me a hydro-perco-contin and a G&T, stat!!

I'm fresh out or I'd loan you a couple.   :ph34r:

I'm still waiting to hear back from my guy that knows a guy that met a guy who is related to a guy that can refill my supply.

Good for you on the weight loss that is so awesome.  I have done weight training before but nothing hard core.  I work with two guys though that are totally into it and have actually both competed and it is insane the dedication that takes.  The one guy never seems to eat anything but sushi and protein shakes when he's in competition.  He's in mid-30s now though and has started to ease up a bit.
Scarecrow, looking healthy man! Your body handled your weight loss really well, congrats!

On topic, I do very very light workouts these days. Small weights or medicine balls. Lots of things just involving body weight - which I have plenty of haha.

I'm also a "heavy" runner so I don't do much of it, but I like doing steppers on a box. Much easier on my body.
Pages: 1 2