Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: North Ga. Helen Ga
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Neighbor is thinking of purchasing a small cabin in the mountain area of Helen Ga. I've been there myself and it is a nice area.

Anyone here know the area well enough in order for me to pass along to him?

He wants to limit the drive to around 6 hours or so to get there, so long weekend trips are feasible.

Prices look reasonable with an online search, but a physical look is necessary.

Thanks in advance.
If you start hearing banjo music, run.

I've never been there but my mom and stepdad go a couple of times a year and they love it. I think the only reason they don't live there is their house is paid for and don't want another mortgage in retirement. I'd love to go some time.

I love Helen. Been there many times. 

Unicoi state park is nearby and nice

The German restaurants are fantastic. The town is a bit gimmicky but, it's fun to visit. Especially for Oktoberfest and around Christmas. 

Quote:If you start hearing banjo music, run.

Naw man gotta walk to the banjo music, I love the banjo!
Quote:Naw man gotta walk to the banjo music, I love the banjo!
Pack your Preparation H then. 
Quote:Neighbor is thinking of purchasing a small cabin in the mountain area of Helen Ga. I've been there myself and it is a nice area.

Anyone here know the area well enough in order for me to pass along to him?

He wants to limit the drive to around 6 hours or so to get there, so long weekend trips are feasible.

Prices look reasonable with an online search, but a physical look is necessary.

Thanks in advance.

We've been up there for Octoberfest twice.  Very cool area, but not much around there.  Moving up there is something I'd actually consider assuming I ever get to retire. Smile  Might want to look into the tax burden up there.
A little further north in Tennessee would be best tax-wise, or stay in FL.

Which sucks because I found the part of GA I want to move to but, I don't want to pay state income taxes.