Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tony Boselli the coach...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Turrible...

Great analysis. 

What do you expect from the assistant to the assistant OL coach? Do you want him to change the way they're being taught or the things they've been told? C'mon.

Quote:Herp Derp...

I see.
[Image: Homeless_drunk.jpg]

The videos I've seen he sounded pretty good. I'd like to have him in as at least an assistant in the future
Players play and coaches coach. It seems logical that a coach would have had at least some experience as a player; however, just because one was once a good player it doesn't automatically follow that person will also be a good coach. The ability to perform at a high level (at least at some point) doesn't always translate to the ability to teach others how to perform at that same high level.

The teaching/leadership skills of a good coach are a separate skill set from what most players posses. Maybe Boselli could be a good coach, but the only verifiable way to know is for him to coach and then see what kind of results he gets... Preferably starting with a college position; the pro level is no place for amateurs. 

He seemed fine to me. I actually thought he was doing a good job for an assistant.
The fact that you were once the considered best will help players "buy in" to what you are teaching.

You still need to become a great teacher for that advantage to pay dividends. Also when coaching under a proven guy like Marrone if all you do increase player motivation it is still a win win
Another senseless thread from this clown, ban him.
Quote:Turrible...
Based on what exactly?  Sure seemed to do okay from what I saw. 
The things that people think about at 230 in the morning...

ThunderCat the poster.......

Turrible...

Boseli as an oline coach is a no brainier
Quote:Players play and coaches coach. It seems logical that a coach would have had at least some experience as a player; however, just because one was once a good player it doesn't automatically follow that person will also be a good coach. The ability to perform at a high level (at least at some point) doesn't always translate to the ability to teach others how to perform at that same high level.

The teaching/leadership skills of a good coach are a separate skill set from what most players posses. Maybe Boselli could be a good coach, but the only verifiable way to know is for him to coach and then see what kind of results he gets... Preferably starting with a college position; the pro level is no place for amateurs. 

Excellent point. However, I think there is a much greater chance of a former player being a good coach when said player is technically sound as opposed to relying on sheer athleticism to get the job done. Boselli had the rare combination of both, so while the athletic ability may not translate, the ability to instruct on the proper fundamentals should.
Quote:Excellent point. However, I think there is a much greater chance of a former player being a good coach when said player is technically sound as opposed to relying on sheer athleticism to get the job done. Boselli had the rare combination of both, so while the athletic ability may not translate, the ability to instruct on the proper fundamentals should.

The most important thing that a coach needs is the ability to communicate with his players. It really does not matter how much information the coach has in his head if he cannot get his players to understand it. Some people do it by taking on a "tough guy" demeanor, some do it by trying to foster an encouraging environment. Whatever works, works though and it's key for a coach to have this ability.

It's also my belief that you can't really tell if a guy has this ability via ten to 15 minute sound bites.