Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How the European dream is dying, state by state
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...state.html

Immigration, Wealth re-distribution, Bank Bailouts, damn it all sounds familiar. 

I don't even pretend to be smart enough or knowledgeable enough to completely understand all of that, but numbers don't lie.

I remember when I lived in Germany in the early 00's they still had the Mark but were converting to the Euro and the majority of regular folks, especially the older ones, were not happy. They knew it was going to be a disaster but could do nothing about it. Now a decade plus later I'm surprised it all lasted this long without imploding.

When in Rome do as the Romans. Just put that in context.
Asking the Telegraph to report on the EU is like asking Fox News to report on the Democratic National Convention.
Quote:Asking the Telegraph to report on the EU is like asking Fox News to report on the Democratic National Convention.

So is the information misleading? I don't know to much about all the different politics of each EU state but I found in that article the stuff different countries where upset about where the same things many of us over here are upset about. 
Quote:So is the information misleading? I don't know to much about all the different politics of each EU state but I found in that article the stuff different countries where upset about where the same things many of us over here are upset about. 
The information isn't misleading per se but the conclusion the Telegraph is drawing from it is in my opinion. I live in one of the more Eurosceptic countries and the overall feeling I get here is people support the overall principle of the EU but they don't like some of the execution and they certainly don't like the massive bureaucratic monsters institutions like European Parliament have become. I think if you ask the straight up question "Would Europe be better off if the EU didn't exist" the overwhelming response would be no.

As for the issues being the same; No matter how much both Europeans and Americans might disagree, on a macro-societal level the US and Europe are essentially the same. 
Quote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...state.html

Immigration, Wealth re-distribution, Bank Bailouts, damn it all sounds familiar. 

Sounds familiar to what? 

Is the American Dream "dying" or something?
Quote:Sounds familiar to what? 

Is the American Dream "dying" or something?

50 Million Americans literally can not afford to feed themselves yeah I'd say the American Dream is in a little trouble. 
Quote:50 Million Americans literally can not afford to feed themselves yeah I'd say the American Dream is in a little trouble. 

The percentage of people in this country living at, or below, the poverty line has been at 15% or less for 50 years. Prior to that the number was much higher.
Quote:The percentage of people in this country living at, or below, the poverty line has been at 15% or less for 50 years. Prior to that the number was much higher.

Impoverished in the USA means you're in the top 10% globally. If ya gotta be poor this is the place to do it!
Quote:Asking the Telegraph to report on the EU is like asking Fox News to report on the Democratic National Convention.

Whilst being conservative, I would say the Telegraph have far more credibility than Fox News