Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: will we see Marcedes Lewis in the UFC some day?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
According to Jay Glazer, sounds like he has UFC talent. Could it be possible he is better fit for MMA than the NFL?
He's been making $7 million/year. Unless he employs MC Hammer as a financial adviser he doesn't need to do MMA. 

I'd wouldn't mind seeing him get popped by a heavyweight.  Would be interesting with his height and reach.

Was more a question about which craft he has more passion for, money aside. Several ex-players have tried to make their way to the octagon, but none with his frame that I know of.
Its funny. A few years ago after his "breakout" season a few of us complained about him MMAing and modeling and appearance-ing. Seemed like he could have spent that some of that time training for, you know, his profession. Well I and others got flamed mercilessly for that opinion and whadaya know Marcedes has sucked bottom ever since.

"Marcedes is a top five TE and was the best TE in college and coming out of high school"

Hehe
Quote:Its funny. A few years ago after his "breakout" season a few of us complained about him MMAing and modeling and appearance-ing. Seemed like he could have spent that some of that time training for, you know, his profession. Well I and others got flamed mercilessly for that opinion and whadaya know Marcedes has sucked bottom ever since.

"Marcedes is a top five TE and was the best TE in college and coming out of high school"

Hehe
He's been his normal self ever since. An above average TE with good blocking skills. 
Quote:Its funny. A few years ago after his "breakout" season a few of us complained about him MMAing and modeling and appearance-ing. Seemed like he could have spent that some of that time training for, you know, his profession. Well I and others got flamed mercilessly for that opinion and whadaya know Marcedes has sucked bottom ever since.

Hehe
Lol ok? You also said Tyson Alualu was a solid starter. Are you still the smartest person in the room?

I highly doubt Marcedes Lewis wasn't training for football. It's not like he's incapable of playing in the NFL , If he didn't have hands of stone, he'd probably be a top 10 TE.
With those stone-like hands of his he may have a future in MMA one day.
As long as I don't see him in a Jags uniform I don't care
Quote:He's been his normal self ever since. An above average TE with good blocking skills.

Very strongly disagree with the above average part. Marcedes is a great blocker and good locker room guy, but he has crappy agility and has developed stone hands for some reason since his breakout year.

Looking at his stats, I don't see how you could label him anything other than average. Yes, in 2010 he had 700 yards and 10 TDs, but he's only gone over 500 yards twice out of his 8 other seasons (518 and 540 in 09 and 12). He's never scored more than 4 TDs since, and he only did that twice.

Of 9 seasons played, M89 has failed to score more than 2TDs or register 500 yards receiving in 6 of those years.

IMO he's a great blocker but below average pass catcher, which was supposed to be his strength coming out of college. I'm not sure that's worth 7 million per year.

Charles Clay had 760 yards receiving in his third year in the NFL, more than M89 has ever had in his career. THAT is the guy I hope the Jags sign and pay decent money to.
Quote:Very strongly disagree with the above average part. Marcedes is a great blocker and good locker room guy, but he has crappy agility and has developed stone hands for some reason since his breakout year.

Looking at his stats, I don't see how you could label him anything other than average. Yes, in 2010 he had 700 yards and 10 TDs, but he's only gone over 500 yards twice out of his 8 other seasons (518 and 540 in 09 and 12). He's never scored more than 4 TDs since, and he only did that twice.

Of 9 seasons played, M89 has failed to score more than 2TDs or register 500 yards receiving in 6 of those years.

IMO he's a great blocker but below average pass catcher, which was supposed to be his strength coming out of college. I'm not sure that's worth 7 million per year.

Charles Clay had 760 yards receiving in his third year in the NFL, more than M89 has ever had in his career. THAT is the guy I hope the Jags sign and pay decent money to.
You're right, with QB's like Garrard, McCown & Gabbert he should be getting 700 yards and 10 TDs every season.  
It could be that striking has made catching the ball more difficult.  They say striking a heavy bag 10 mins a day will make your hands hard.  Anyways, not saying that is the reason, but it seems like at least a possibility.

As a UFC fan, I'd love to see Marcedes fight.  He is a very agile Heavyweight.  The cap is 265 and he walks around at 275.  It's an easy cut.  He has all the physical tools.  The real question is whether or not he can take a punch.  If he's great, I get to cheer for a former Jag.  If he's not, it makes up for all those dropped passes.   :teehee:

As long as he doesn't have to fight Derrek Harvey with sais, I think he'll be Ok.

He needs to go. We need a monster TE for Blake.

I'm thinking Maxx Williams at the moment.
Quote:Lol ok? You also said Tyson Alualu was a solid starter. Are you still the smartest person in the room?

I highly doubt Marcedes Lewis wasn't training for football. It's not like he's incapable of playing in the NFL , If he didn't have hands of stone, he'd probably be a top 10 TE.

No I didn't. I simply pointed out your obsession with Alualu. I have never thought he was anything other than average. I just thought it was weird that he was the only thing you would talk about for months on end.
Quote:You're right, with QB's like Garrard, McCown & Gabbert he should be getting 700 yards and 10 TDs every season.

Have you seen some of the blatant drops he's had?

I know the QBs have sucked, but i really don't think he's above average for his position. I don't think it's even that close really.

Maybe he will go to a new team and prove me wrong, but It doesn't seem likely. I don't think he plays in Jax in 2015, and even if he does, I think it's his last hurrah here. Like I said, there's a use for his exceptional blocking, but 7 million is a lot to pay for a guy that doesn't do much in the pass game.
Quote:He needs to go. We need a monster TE for Blake.

I'm thinking Maxx Williams at the moment.

I would love the pick. 9 years after spending a first round pick on a TE, it's time we invested another high pick on a young, talented guy with potential.

I'd like the team to sign Charles Clay, draft Williams, and keep Clay Harbor for depth. A drop off in blocking sure, but Bortles needs legit receiving weapons anywhere he can get him.
Quote:Have you seen some of the blatant drops he's had?

I know the QBs have sucked, but i really don't think he's above average for his position. I don't think it's even that close really.

Maybe he will go to a new team and prove me wrong, but It doesn't seem likely. I don't think he plays in Jax in 2015, and even if he does, I think it's his last hurrah here. Like I said, there's a use for his exceptional blocking, but 7 million is a lot to pay for a guy that doesn't do much in the pass game.
Every receiver has had a case of stone hands at some point in his career. I've also seen Lewis pick balls out of the hands of defenders and of the top of their heads. And we have 65 million in cap space, how much money we pay a player is of no concern to the football decisions that are going to be made. 
Quote:No I didn't. I simply pointed out your obsession with Alualu. I have never thought he was anything other than average. I just thought it was weird that he was the only thing you would talk about for months on end.
Lol right.

Marcedes Lewis' problems are not that he trains in MMA. Jared Allen and a bunch of other athletes do it. Marcedes Lewis' problem is that he has feet for hands.
Pages: 1 2