Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jaguars requested to interview Packers QB coach Alex Van Pelt but were blocked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't agree with organizations blocking coaches to interview with other teams for a better position, the Packers are notorious for this. Van Pelt is obviously a hot commodity so it wouldn't surprise me if GB promoted him to a more senior position next season.

Quote:I don't agree with organizations blocking coaches to interview with other teams for a better position, the Packers are notorious for this. Van Pelt is obviously a hot commodity so it wouldn't surprise me if GB promoted him to a more senior position next season.

theyre not allowed to block them from getting a promotion, so they must have wanted to interview him for the qb coach position.
Coordinator isn't considered a promotion. Only head coach is, according to The NFL.
Quote:theyre not allowed to block them from getting a promotion, so they must have wanted to interview him for the qb coach position.

Are you sure thats not just the case for Head Coaching positions?
Quote:Are you sure thats not just the case for Head Coaching positions?
It impacts position coaches and coordinators too. 
Quote:Are you sure thats not just the case for Head Coaching positions?

thats how i understood the rule, it just couldnt be a lateral move.
Position coach to Coordinator not a promotion?   Doesn't sound right to me.  

(They are allowed to block this move though….)

Quote:theyre not allowed to block them from getting a promotion, so they must have wanted to interview him for the qb coach position.

Not true, position coaches can be blocked from interviewing for coordinator positions. As an example Tennessee was able to block Mularkey a couple weeks ago from interviewing with Tampa and Chicago about their open OC positions despite him being a TE coach. Head coaching interviews are the only they cannot block.

Edit: Teams can also block head coaching interviews if their team is still playing.

Quote:Position coach to Coordinator not a promotion?   Doesn't sound right to me.  

(They are allowed to block this move though….)

Me either. It definitely feels wrong. I mean, don't position coaches report to the respective coordinators in the chain of command? If so, how is going from QB coach to OC NOT a promotion in the literal sense of the word?
It definitely feels wrong and like something the NFL should look into addressing in one fashion or another.

It's not usually common practice for teams to block assistants from getting a promotion though. Future potential assistants will see that. I do see it happening a lot this year though.
Quote:Me either. It definitely feels wrong. I mean, don't position coaches report to the respective coordinators in the chain of command? If so, how is going from QB coach to OC NOT a promotion in the literal sense of the word?

I agree it's a dumb rule, but coordinators are technically seen as assistants just like positional coaches and moving from one assistant job to another is considered lateral. Also I can't imagine organizations that block those types of moves are exactly endearing themselves to the positional coaches, especially in the case of a losing organization like Tennessee. I'm sure Mularkey was just thrilled to hear that he couldn't get out of Nashville to be a coordinator elsewhere because the team didn't let him.

Also I believe it was in the interview with Caldwell about the hiring of Marrone and Olson that he said we would not block any coach from advancing unless we were offering an equal opportunity here. I'm not sure the context of the answer, but given the news about us losing out on Van Pelt, I wonder if that was a subtle shot at Green Bay.
I posted about this earlier.  A lot of people complain that they snatched up Olson.  The general public isn't privy to all the moves they TRY to make.  

Yeah, I can't imagine it endears position coaches to learn that they were denied an opportunity for advancement.  If I were in Van Pelt's position, I'd strongly consider not extending my contract, and make a grab for a coordinator position unless the Packers were willing to name me Offensive Coordinator.  

Quote:Not true, position coaches can be blocked from interviewing for coordinator positions. As an example Tennessee was able to block Mularkey a couple weeks ago from interviewing with Tampa and Chicago about their open OC positions despite him being a TE coach. Head coaching interviews are the only they cannot block.

Edit: Teams can also block head coaching interviews if their team is still playing.

interesting indeed. thanks man

Gus Bradley Show: 01/15 listen to that episode Gus Bradley explains rules and his experience with rule. He also talks about whether he would ever block a coach!
Ha, a lot of conflicting information in this thread.

Quote:http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblo...assistants

From the article:

The rule is pretty simple. A team can’t block an assistant coach, including a coordinator, from interviewing for and accepting a job as a head coach. All other moves, including from assistant coach to coordinator, can be blocked.

Wow! I recently read an article on NFL.com about why Mike McCarthy was confused about why other teams don't want his staff.

Quote:Coordinator isn't considered a promotion. Only head coach is, according to The NFL.

It is not enough of a promotion for someone to change teams. Alex Van Pelt already has a job, so he must be named a head coach to work somewhere else. But within the team, quarterbacks coach to coordinator is a promotion.
There should be a drawback to this. Like maybe a small monetary bonus to the coach if he is blocked from interviews?
Pages: 1 2