Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Question for Pipeline Supporters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you support the Keystone Pipeline, do you also support the government's use of eminent domain to force the pipeline through private property?  

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/us/def...v=top-news

Eminent domain should only be used as a last resort. We can't have a handful of people holding up what will turn out to be energy independence for America

Absolutely not, if they can't purchase the land either re-route it or ditch it. I support the pipeline but not at the cost of eminent domain.

I have a giant LNG pipeline running directly under my ranch.

I don't like it but 99% of the time it doesn't really affect me much. It kinda is what it is.

Quote:I have a giant LNG pipeline running directly under my ranch.

I don't like it but 99% of the time it doesn't really affect me much. It kinda is what it is.

How does that work, do they lease the use of your land to you?
Quote:I have a giant LNG pipeline running directly under my ranch.

Yes, but which is more important, your private property rights or the government's ability to take your land if they think it's for a greater good? 
Quote:Yes, but which is more important, your private property rights or the government's ability to take your land if they think it's for a greater good? 

His property rights.
Quote:How does that work, do they lease the use of your land to you?
 In my case, it's about 15-20 feet underground, so I don't get compensated in any way. But I'm allowed to plant on top of it, so really on a day to day basis, I never even notice it. They won't let you plant deep rooted trees around it but since it's in the middle of my vineyard thats not a problem.

Generally speaking, if it's something that requires permanent removal of your crop, they will pay you well above market value for the land. In most cases, guys don't mind at all if it's 2 acres straight off the end of their land, because they will make $100,000 for giving up 2 acres and they just move their row ends back 50 feet. We get more cranky about it if it's something that runs haphazardly through a field, like power lines cutting diagonally or something.

Quote:Yes, but which is more important, your private property rights or the government's ability to take your land if they think it's for a greater good? 

Depends on the piece of land.
If you put a gun to my head and I had to give an answer I'd say property rights.

But you gotta put this stuff somewhere, good luck getting 500 miles of Ca ranchers to agree to sell you land.

The greater good...

[Image: the-greater-good.jpg]
Quote: In my case, it's about 15-20 feet underground, so I don't get compensated in any way. But I'm allowed to plant on top of it, so really on a day to day basis, I never even notice it. They won't let you plant deep rooted trees around it but since it's in the middle of my vineyard thats not a problem.

Generally speaking, if it's something that requires permanent removal of your crop, they will pay you well above market value for the land. In most cases, guys don't mind at all if it's 2 acres straight off the end of their land, because they will make $100,000 for giving up 2 acres and they just move their row ends back 50 feet. We get more cranky about it if it's something that runs haphazardly through a field, like power lines cutting diagonally or something.

Depends on the piece of land.
I work for a company that builds and maintains the natural gas and electrical grid in a large part of the Netherlands. If we want to lay our pipes or cables through private ground we have to compensate the owner a set amount (€1,000 plus something like €2 per meter) and they aren't allowed to build any structures on top of our infrastructure, not even a garden shed. Of course our equipment is only two to four feet deep.

Of course, this has absolutely no relevance to you or this discussion. I just like talking about my work.
Quote:Eminent domain should only be used as a last resort. We can't have a handful of people holding up what will turn out to be energy independence for America
I could be wrong, but this is not what I am hearing. As far as I understand, the oil isn't coming here. It's going to be sold on the global market. How does that equal energy independence?
Quote:I could be wrong, but this is not what I am hearing. As far as I understand, the oil isn't coming here. It's going to be sold on the global market. How does that equal energy independence?

All oil is sold on the global market, it'll simply be refined in Texas which would be a boost in our share of the global oil trade. As for energy independence that'll be accomplished when we get off fossil fuel but that's so far down the road I can't even imagine it right now. For now I'm happy with simply exporting more and importing less.
Quote:All oil is sold on the global market, it'll simply be refined in Texas which would be a boost in our share of the global oil trade. As for energy independence that'll be accomplished when we get off fossil fuel but that's so far down the road I can't even imagine it right now. For now I'm happy with simply exporting more and importing less.
How exactly does the US benefit from us allowing canadian oil firms to travel through us. So maybe the Texas refineries make some more money. Other than the obvious doing a favor to our brothers/sisters up north?
Quote:How exactly does the US benefit from us allowing canadian oil firms to travel through us. So maybe the Texas refineries make some more money. Other than the obvious doing a favor to our brothers/sisters up north?

Oil is one of the heaviest taxed commodities for one, so the refining process is a big boost to the tax revenues. secondly once the oil is sent to Texas to be refined it would then be American companies exporting it to the global trade market. That's not counting the additional jobs that will be created to simply build and maintain the pipeline nor the support jobs created for the additional demand at the refineries. Anytime we attract commerce onto our shores that's a good thing.

Quote:Oil is one of the heaviest taxed commodities for one, so the refining process is a big boost to the tax revenues. secondly once the oil is sent to Texas to be refined it would then be American companies exporting it to the global trade market. That's not counting the additional jobs that will be created to simply build and maintain the pipeline nor the support jobs created for the additional demand at the refineries. Anytime we attract commerce onto our shores that's a good thing.
I did not know this. I thought the Canadian companies owned all the oil/sales/profits. Are their any figures on the potential $$$ amounts this would equate to in tax revenue?

Also isn't this only going to produce about 50 some off permanent jobs?
Quote:Also isn't this only going to produce about 50 some off permanent jobs?