Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Two quotes from NFL position coaches on the Olson hire per Ryan O
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
NFL DL coach on Olson- "Everywhere he's been, he's done a good job with the QBs. Very well respected coach."

NFL QB coach on Olson- "He has a great way of understanding the QB position. He'll be great for Blake."

I guess I'm in the minority as I like the hire, Greg was able to make guys like Mark Bulger, Josh Freeman, Derek Carr, Matt McGloin, and Terrelle Pryor look competent, he's obviously well respected in league circles. If the Jaguars can shore up the offensive line giving Blake Bortles a semblance of a competent running game, I think the Jaguars have a chance to have a top 15 (or higher) offense next season.

All this says to me is that he should have been the QB coach not in charge of the whole offense

Quote:All this says to me is that he should have been the QB coach not in charge of the whole offense

Nailed it.
Quote:All this says to me is that he should have been the QB coach not in charge of the whole offense
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Who calls the plays?
I still would have been fine with him as QB but as OC I am still nervous over all. I hope things work out.

Quote:Who calls the plays?
BB5
all things considered about this guy, I'm inclined to agree; but then again I'm not a GM, so maybe Dave is aware of something that we're not privy to.
At the end of the day it's a win now business and when hired they indicated that year 3 was when they expected to compete. Don't know the exact words said, I may be wrong but it was the impression I got. Also with the knowledge of not necessarily needing to spend 90% of the cap this year but deciding to shows they're urgent. However, just like the OC job, how many quality players will want to come here with this losing culture and possible coaching changes if they fail again. That's a cause for overpaying substantially for everyone. Let's just say, it's now or never....should be an interesting watch for some....this is the path they wanted to take....they claimed this is the coach they wanted and the nfl people say good things apparently. So we'll see....Gus is on the clock
He sure did help Blaine when he was here didn't he? My dad says its a terrbille hire,and for and i agree with him. They just hired another person thats not any good. Oaklands offensse was last in league last season. 

Quote:He sure did help Blaine when he was here didn't he? My dad says its a terrbille hire,and for and i agree with him. They just hired another person thats not any good. Oaklands offensse was last in league last season. 

1.  You can't fix every QB or the league would have all superstars.

2.  Oakland's offensive talent level was on par with the Ed White.
Quote:1.  You can't fix every QB or the league would have all superstars.

2.  Oakland's offensive talent level was on par with the Ed White.

Although Ed White did have a stellar offense when Vannez Gooch was running wild.
Quote:He sure did help Blaine when he was here didn't he? My dad says its a terrbille hire,and for and i agree with him. They just hired another person thats not any good. Oaklands offensse was last in league last season. 
Just curious... Has your dad ever been wrong?

In his many years in the league, he stayed in the 20th position and under in offense performance, but once.

Stats don't lie. But the powers that be, see different.

Is this make or break for Gus? If its another repeat of last year, even with an extra couple wins, the Gus Bus may be seen sputtering outta Duval.

How was he going to 'help Blaine'?

Hire a surgeon to have some gonads attached?
So weird how everybody knew Gabbert was going to be bad. Must've been another fanbase that defended him for years and harassed every analyst who criticized him. 

Quote:So weird how everybody knew Gabbert was going to be bad. Must've been another fanbase that defended him for years and harassed every analyst who criticized him.
So the entire 'fanbase defended him'? It was more like just a few people. But of course you probably want to include those that just wanted to see it play out as people 'defending' him.

I love blanket statements...
"Just a few people"  :teehee:

Quote:"Just a few people" :teehee:

Much closer to a few people than 'the fanbase'. But I know. You want to lump all of the people who wanted to see it play out as 'defending him'. No problem.

Quote:So weird how everybody knew Gabbert was going to be bad. Must've been another fanbase that defended him for years and harassed every analyst who criticized him. 

This is for the critics.