Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What happens to Scelfo?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
One minute he's being asked to lead the team offense at the Senior Bowl, next minute Olsen is being mentioned as QB-coach candidate. Does Gus pull the rug out from under Scelfo or reassign him to "quality control coordinator" if Olsen is hired? 

Who?
Quote:Who?
http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/scel...89343e7854

The guy that did nothing to help BB improve.
Assistant QB coach?

He will be given a choice

door or window
Quote:He will be given a choice

door or window

Nice. Haven't heard that one before.
In the Corp world if you can't do your job, they promote you.  Look for him to be Assistance Head Coach.

Quote:In the Corp world if you can't do your job, they promote you.  Look for him to be Assistance Head Coach.

No, you're thinking about the gov't bureaucrat world. The private sector (in at-will states) is one of the few work environments where it is possible to fire people without too much hassle. But the larger the company, the more red tape. 
Quote:No, you're thinking about the gov't bureaucrat world. The private sector (in at-will states) is one of the few work environments where it is possible to fire people without too much hassle. But the larger the company, the more red tape.

It still does exist in the private industry.
If the Jaguars do hire a new offensive coordinator and a new QB coach, logic would dictate that Scelfo is done in Jacksonville.

Why would there be any doubts about Frank Scelfo's job security now? If the Jaguars thought they needed a new quarterback coach, he would have been fired on the same day as Jedd Fisch.

Quote:Who?

[Image: confused-o.gif] GIFSoup
Quote:Why would there be any doubts about Frank Scelfo's job security now? If the Jaguars thought they needed a new quarterback coach, he would have been fired on the same day as Jedd Fisch.
Because at the time that Fisch was fired, Gus and the rest of the FO didn't know who would be available for a QB coach. If Scelfo was doing a decent job, you don't let him go unless you can upgrade.

A few weeks later, the team finds out they can potentially upgrade. Suddenly, Scelfo's job is in question. That's why there would be doubts now.

Quote:Because at the time that Fisch was fired, Gus and the rest of the FO didn't know who would be available for a QB coach. If Scelfo was doing a decent job, you don't let him go unless you can upgrade.

A few weeks later, the team finds out they can potentially upgrade. Suddenly, Scelfo's job is in question. That's why there would be doubts now.

That makes sense, but Gus Bradley said no more changes to his staff are coming later.
Quote:One minute he's being asked to lead the team offense at the Senior Bowl, next minute Olsen is being mentioned as QB-coach candidate. Does Gus pull the rug out from under Scelfo or reassign him to "quality control coordinator" if Olsen is hired? 
You're probably reading a little too much into the fact that he's been asked to call the plays for the Senior Bowl.  I don't see that as anything more than a necessity. 

I don't think any of the assistants sign anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal.  It's possible they're exploring their options to see if they can upgrade that spot while they have the opportunity.

Quote:That makes sense, but Gus Bradley said no more changes to his staff are coming later.

Yes, coaches have never been known to change their mind or stretch the truth when it comes to personnel moves.
Quote:http://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches/scel...89343e7854

The guy that did nothing to help BB improve.
Actually, he did a lot to improve Bortles mechanics.  It's not his fault that his student was thrown into action before he had adequate time to continue that progression, and for the muscle memory on the mechanics to fully take hold.  But, they had to placate the "HE MUST PLAY NOW" fans who were howling for a switch saying they didn't care if he regressed this year.  Now they're singing a different tune.
Quote:You're probably reading a little too much into the fact that he's been asked to call the plays for the Senior Bowl.  I don't see that as anything more than a necessity. 

I don't think any of the assistants sign anything more than a 1 or 2 year deal.  It's possible they're exploring their options to see if they can upgrade that spot while they have the opportunity.

Why would assistants sign contracts for only one year? I can see Adam Gase doing that because he was a head coach candidate until yesterday, but for quarterbacks coaches, it would not make any sense.
Quote:Actually, he did a lot to improve Bortles mechanics.  It's not his fault that his student was thrown into action before he had adequate time to continue that progression, and for the muscle memory on the mechanics to fully take hold.  But, they had to placate the "HE MUST PLAY NOW" fans who were howling for a switch saying they didn't care if he regressed this year.  Now they're singing a different tune.

I don't think anybody is singing a different tune. I'd rather have watched BB throw 100 interceptions than have to watch another minute of Chad Henne try to play starting QB.
Id believe he would be gone but they could find another smaller role if they liked him enough.

Pages: 1 2 3