Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is this the offseason the Jaguars bring in some real competition for Josh Scobee?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He is still a good kicker. But is it a stretch to say his performance regressed this year? Had a game winner against NY but also had another blocked against Tennessee. A block some blame on a poor kick.

Every year the team brings in some Joe Nobody who has no shot at beating Scobee out. The guy usually has a few late game preseason kicks and gets his parting gift after the third game.

It does not have to be a draft pick. Cody Parkey was an UDFA last year and made the Pro Bowl for the Eagles.

He is a fan favorite, so it would not be a popular move. I say bring in some actual competition for the spot and if he outperforms Scobee, give #10 (and his very high salary) the boot.

I doubt it. Our special teams was a mess all season. He's still one of the better kickers in the league. We need to fix the ST blocking schemes before we worry about Scobee. Remember we had issues on punts as well.
no

I could see them bringing in some good competition. It would be fairly inexpensive and you never know when you may find a decent kicker out of the blue. Not much risk.
No.

Not sure last year's failures were on him. Crap protection.

Quote:no

Quote:No.

These.
No. For every Cody Parkey, there are ten of Brandon McManus and Nate Freese out there. When you've got a top-shelf kicker, especially on a young team like the Jags that will have to play a lot of close games, you keep him around. Competition's never a bad thing, and if a rookie comes in and just flat outperforms Scobee in every way (and Scobee looks horrible), then maybe it's a discussion worth having, but approaching the kicker position as if you intend to replace Scobee would be a mistake.

Quote:No. For every Cody Parkey, there are ten of Brandon McManus and Nate Freese out there. When you've got a top-shelf kicker, especially on a young team like the Jags that will have to play a lot of close games, you keep him around. Competition's never a bad thing, and if a rookie comes in and just flat outperforms Scobee in every way (and Scobee looks horrible), then maybe it's a discussion worth having, but approaching the kicker position as if you intend to replace Scobee would be a mistake.

Your avatar wins this message board
Every position should have an added player for competition.  Is it likely that someone is going to beat out Scobee....no.  Should a draft choice be used to bring in someone to challenge Scobee....no.  Is it a position of "need" to pay for in free agency....no. 

last time i check vinatari was drafted in 1995 and is still kicking in the league. There's no reason that scobee can't as well.

Long Ding
Must be cold outside.
Add another "NO" to the list.

Long Ding's football name would be Short Doink. They need to bring him in just for the hilarity.
I got one...

"Nope"

It's like any other position on the roster. If there's an upgrade to be had out there, I'm sure the team will consider it. Nobody plays forever.

I'm still shocked our special teams coach is still here.

Quote:I'm still shocked our special teams coach is still here.
I'm not really shocked.  With the way the team was rotating special team guys into the starting lineup to address injuries, that unit was in a constant state of flux.  I don't care how good a coach you are, you're going to have  issues when you've got different guys in key roles each week. 
Quote:I'm still shocked our special teams coach is still here.

I was expecting him to be fired. But about a month ago, Oesher said he isn't going anywhere.
Pages: 1 2