Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Virginia Lawmakers defeat Bill banning Child Labor in the Tobacco Industry
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.nbc29.com/story/28016174/va-l...acco-farms

I wonder if those on the committee voting to defeat this, would willingly send their kids to work on a tobacco farm.  My guess is... no.

God no. They should be busy smoking the tobacco to make them big and strong.
Quote:http://www.nbc29.com/story/28016174/va-l...acco-farms

I wonder if those on the committee voting to defeat this, would willingly send their kids to work on a tobacco farm.  My guess is... no.

Don't worry, it's only children illegally in this country.

Sorry, that was an old story.

BUT!  I got it looking for another source for this story:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/news...cco-farms/

Because apparently they defeated it again today.

Pretty sure this is family farms and family business.

How many kids have you seen working in local restaurants and sandwich shops?

Do you have children, and have they worked, in any capacity, at your video shop?

Common sense.  Unfortunately what's necessary for families does get abused.  There's no way to satisfy both sides without placing a burden on the other.  Families should have exemption, others not.  But... that was likely the hanging point without anyone knowing more of the details of the proposal.

Quote:Pretty sure this is family farms and family business.

How many kids have you seen working in local restaurants and sandwich shops?

Do you have children, and have they worked, in any capacity, at your video shop?

Common sense.  Unfortunately what's necessary for families does get abused.  There's no way to satisfy both sides without placing a burden on the other.  Families should have exemption, others not.  But... that was likely the hanging point without anyone knowing more of the details of the proposal.
It's not though.  

In fact here's what the bill states: "No person shall employ, suffer, or permit a child under the age of 18 years to work in direct contact with tobacco plants or dried tobacco leaves unless (i) the owner of the farm or other location at which such work is conducted is the child's parent, grandparent, or legal guardian and (ii) the child's parent or legal guardian has consented in writing to such employment. "

The first article even addresses that children working on family farms would be exempt.

And yes, I do have kids.  Five of them.  They've never worked at the video store (which is now gone) nor at my new place of business.  It's because I have kids that I think it's important to protect these kids.  
Why not ban children under the age of 18 from working in any farming industry if this is about protecting them? 

So "parents" are sending their children to work rather than sending them to school?

Quote:Why not ban children under the age of 18 from working in any farming industry if this is about protecting them? 

I'm surprised they didn't just ban chores for anyone under the age of 26.

Quote:Why not ban children under the age of 18 from working in any farming industry if this is about protecting them? 

Well liberals are really concerned about the children.  The children have to work in "extreme heat", use "dangerous tools and machinery", lift "heavy loads", and climb into the rafters of barns "several stories tall".

There is so much bunk to this whole situation that comes from the "report from Human Rights Watch" (a liberal organization).

As a child, I worked not only in "extreme heat" in the New Mexico desert, I also worked with and around "dangerous animals" such as goats, pigs, cows, horses, etc.

As a child I worked with "dangerous tools and machinery" such as tractors, tillers, lawn mowers, etc.

As a child I often had to "lift heavy loads" such as a bale of hay.

I have been around and in several barns and I've never seen one "several stories high".

Here's the real thing that liberals ignore.  The "child labor" doesn't really exist except possibly in the case of illegal aliens.  I would bet that the parents of children in the tobacco growing states send their children to school rather than make them go to work on farms.  I would also bet that the vast majority of tobacco farms would not hire and/or employ a young child.
Quote:Well liberals are really concerned about the children.  The children have to work in "extreme heat", use "dangerous tools and machinery", lift "heavy loads", and climb into the rafters of barns "several stories tall".

There is so much bunk to this whole situation that comes from the "report from Human Rights Watch" (a liberal organization).

As a child, I worked not only in "extreme heat" in the New Mexico desert, I also worked with and around "dangerous animals" such as goats, pigs, cows, horses, etc.

As a child I worked with "dangerous tools and machinery" such as tractors, tillers, lawn mowers, etc.

I have been around and in several barns and I've never seen one "several stories high".

Here's the real thing that liberals ignore.  The "child labor" doesn't really exist except possibly in the case of illegal aliens.  I would bet that the parents of children in the tobacco growing states send their children to school rather than make them go to work on farms.  I would also bet that the vast majority of tobacco farms would not hire and/or employ a young child.
Don't discount the goats! June is National Goat Trauma Awareness Month. I bear the scars of a petting zoo incident to this day!

https://www.goat-trauma.org/
Quote:Well liberals are really concerned about the children.  The children have to work in "extreme heat", use "dangerous tools and machinery", lift "heavy loads", and climb into the rafters of barns "several stories tall".

As a child, did you handle toxic chemicals? That's what this is about, not hard work in extreme heat. Kids were getting sick handling tobacco.
does seem weird. i didn't know child labor was still a thing anywhere in this country. pretty sick, but these people are probably poor or illegal immiggrants or something