Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "The Bortles Conundrum" Great article written by Greg Bedard in early 2014
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/19/blake-bort...nfl-draft/#

Here's an excerpt from the article

"If you could take the best quarterback in the 2015 draft this May, knowing that you probably wouldn’t get much from him in ’14—and even then he’s still not a sure thing—where would you draft him?"

Enjoy

This article is from last year

Quote:This article is from last year

The author should take up fortune telling in his spare time though:

Quote:If Bortles played in the NFL right now, he would be a turnover machine and would probably flame out because his mechanics, mostly in the lower body, are extremely flawed.
Quote:This article is from last year

Pretty sure he mentioned that in the thread title.
Quote:Pretty sure he mentioned that in the thread title.
Thank you , i have trouble with those things sometimes.
Quote:http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/19/blake-bort...nfl-draft/#

Here's an excerpt from the article

"If you could take the best quarterback in the 2015 draft this May, knowing that you probably wouldn’t get much from him in ’14—and even then he’s still not a sure thing—where would you draft him?"

Enjoy

Pretty much why I was hesitant to take him at #3 last year. I do have hope that the glimpse we saw early last season is closer to the finished product of Bortles than the mess that we saw in the middle to later part of the season (middle was a turnover machine, late was an ultraconvservative checkdown machines)
this has been posted a couple times before

The team wanted to sit Bortles and play Henne. Henne was a special kind of god awful and the team couldn't afford keep trotting him out there. What Bedard mentions, "If Bortles played in the NFL right now, he would be a turnover machine and would probably flame out because his mechanics, mostly in the lower body, are extremely flawed" was pretty spot on. A reason why the team desperately needs to hire an experienced OC.

Wow this guy was spot on, get him to head up our scouting department!
Quote:Pretty much why I was hesitant to take him at #3 last year. I do have hope that the glimpse we saw early last season is closer to the finished product of Bortles than the mess that we saw in the middle to later part of the season (middle was a turnover machine, late was an ultraconvservative checkdown machines)

I don't blame the Jaguars for pulling the trigger, they saw an opportunity to draft a guy that (besides some mechanical flaws) was a clean prospect; you don't get too many opportunities to do that at the QB position. If he can become consistent with his mechanics, he has a chance to be a dangerous player for an extremely long time.

Quote:The team wanted to sit Bortles and play Henne. Henne was a special kind of god awful and the team couldn't afford keep trotting him out there

I still don't understand how Caldwell thought Henne would be at all acceptable as a QB for the team in 2014.

It's really concerning.
Quote:I still don't understand how Caldwell thought Henne would be at all acceptable as a QB for the team in 2014.

It's really concerning.

Other than who? It's not like he had a lot to chose from. The best? who - Ryan Fitzpatrick?
Quote:I still don't understand how Caldwell thought Henne would be at all acceptable as a QB for the team in 2014.

It's really concerning.
I think he had assumed the O-line would improve with Beadles there, Pasztor coming back, having a vet Center there, Joeckel coming back, and a nice rookie prospect at RG.  Also with Shorts and Lewis there for vets in the receiving group with some fresh talent, and of course Robinson and Gerhart.  With our defense also improving, it really looked like we could scrape by with Henne while Bortles redshirted.  It looks good on paper.

And also, what was our other option?  There's only so much you can do in an offseason.
Quote:The team wanted to sit Bortles and play Henne. Henne was a special kind of god awful and the team couldn't afford keep trotting him out there. What Bedard mentions, "If Bortles played in the NFL right now, he would be a turnover machine and would probably flame out because his mechanics, mostly in the lower body, are extremely flawed" was pretty spot on. A reason why the team desperately needs to hire an experienced OC.

Yes, an experienced OC with a history of developing QB's.
Quote:Other than who? It's not like he had a lot to chose from. The best? who - Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Fitz is definitely better, but if Caldwell had resigned himself to someone of Henne's level then let the chips fall where they may and sign whomever is left over once the smoke clears at league minimum instead of acting like re-signing Henne before he could reach free agency for millions of dollars was somehow critical to the team.

It's not concerning that Henne was on the team, what was concerning was the urgency with which Caldwell felt the need to keep him on the roster.  His price would have dropped by the hour had Henne been allowed to flounder in free agency.
Quote:I think he had assumed the O-line would improve with Beadles there, Pasztor coming back, having a vet Center there, Joeckel coming back, and a nice rookie prospect at RG.  Also with Shorts and Lewis there for vets in the receiving group with some fresh talent, and of course Robinson and Gerhart.  With our defense also improving, it really looked like we could scrape by with Henne while Bortles redshirted.  It looks good on paper.

And also, what was our other option?  There's only so much you can do in an offseason.

That's just it, it didn't look good on paper.

Henne = Gabbert. They're the same guy. Would you think getting Gabbert signed up to return without hitting free agency was critical?
Quote:That's just it, it didn't look good on paper.

Henne = Gabbert. They're the same guy. Would you think getting Gabbert signed up to return without hitting free agency was critical?
I'm talking about everything else looking good.  The offense and defense looked to be improved.

Again, what was our other option?  Either we started Bortles off the bat knowing full well that we need to fix his mechanics and that he'd struggle or plug in a vet that hopefully won't be asked to do much because of the team around him.  No one had any idea the whole team would come out flat and we'd be asking Henne to do nearly as much.

No solution here is perfect as we couldn't just sign Aaron Rodgers.  Good QBs usually don't hit waivers.
Quote:I'm talking about everything else looking good.  The offense and defense looked to be improved.

Again, what was our other option?  Either we started Bortles off the bat knowing full well that we need to fix his mechanics and that he'd struggle or plug in a vet that hopefully won't be asked to do much because of the team around him.  No one had any idea the whole team would come out flat and we'd be asking Henne to do nearly as much.

No solution here is perfect as we couldn't just sign Aaron Rodgers.  Good QBs usually don't hit waivers.

Like I said, having Henne going into 2014 wasn't what concerned me about Caldwell. It was his urgency regarding re-signing Henne around that concerned me.

Henne was/is eminently replaceable and of extremely low value.

The Jaguars could have brought just about any backup level free agent in to provide the level of performance, or something close enough to it to be virtually indistinguishable, that the team would get from someone of Henne's level.

Good article, and also worrying. Not having a quality, QB-developing coordinator over this last season may have severely harmed his development and it may be unrecoverable. The article also mentioned that under stress a QB will revert back to his worst qualities. Obviously in pre-season the stress was light and his mechanics were good, but as the season went on he regressed. Can that be coached out of him? Guess we will find out. I just hope we can get a good QB-oriented coordinator that will work well with Bortles.

Quote:Like I said, having Henne going into 2014 wasn't what concerned me about Caldwell. It was his urgency regarding re-signing Henne around that concerned me.

Henne was/is eminently replaceable and of extremely low value.

The Jaguars could have brought just about any backup level free agent in to provide the level of performance, or something close enough to it to be virtually indistinguishable, that the team would get from someone of Henne's level.
What do you suggest then?  Who was a better option?  Henne knew the system and can play game manager, which is all we'd need out of the guy.
Pages: 1 2