Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trump Tips Dow to 20K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Trump Tips Dow to 20K

After a brief hiatus, the Dow Jones Industrial Average resumed its march toward 20000, crossing the elusive milestone on Wednesday as President Donald Trump demonstrates his seriousness about fulfilling campaign promises of lower taxes, less regulation, and more fiscal spending. 

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/...o-20k.html

TBH, it was a softball.

The economy was so weak and held back by poor policy, it's going to be pretty simple to implement growth.

Once the energy sector rids itself from the stranglehold that the wacko libs have had on it, the economy and the DOW will skyrocket.

When is this going to be declared a lie? :woot:
Stupid russians
The Dow went up 10,000 points in Obama's 8 year tenure as President.

Not only that, the housing, auto, and banking industries were resurrected.

Trump was right when he stated GW Bush was the worst President ever.

Hopefully, for all of us the Dow will continue to climb ---- Win Win for everyone

It went up 1k points in the last 42(ish) days.

1200 since Election day

Questions .... assuming most of you are middle aged.

Are you getting more aggressive with your 401k investment (e.g. diversifying) ?   The reason I ask is because I went into protective mode when the Dow hit 18,500 because we're comfortable to date but in a way I feel like I'm not taking full advantage of the bull market.

Are you thinking of investing in anything this year (e.g. Oil Stocks or other stocks, Housing, etc.) ?

Quote:The Dow went up 10,000 points in Obama's 8 year tenure as President.

Hopefully, for all of us the Dow will continue to climb ---- Win Win for everyone

They forget all that.

They would rather point to alternative facts.
My stocks and IRAs took a pretty good hit a few years ago, but recently they've started to come back.

I don't blame Democrats or Obama for that...it is what it is.  I do blame Democrats and Obama for the senseless spending over the past 8 years.  Hopefully that ends.

The Dow made significant gains under Obama despite the Great Recession but I doubt you guys would give him credit for that.
Quote:My stocks and IRAs took a pretty good hit a few years ago, but recently they've started to come back.

I don't blame Democrats or Obama for that...it is what it is.  I do blame Democrats and Obama for the senseless spending over the past 8 years.  Hopefully that ends.

I can relate.  I have an annual equity tracker that I started to compile in 2002 when we used our line of credit to invest in the housing market.  We took a major hit and went from drinking martinis and craft brews to ....... then hitting the $2 domestic draft happy hours (excluding sam adams & yuengling). Blush  We did that for about 4 years.   

Quote:Questions .... assuming most of you are middle aged.

Are you getting more aggressive with your 401k investment (e.g. diversifying) ?   The reason I ask is because I went into protective mode when the Dow hit 18,500 because we're comfortable to date but in a way I feel like I'm not taking full advantage of the bull market.

Are you thinking of investing in anything this year (e.g. Oil Stocks or other stocks, Housing, etc.) ?

tldr;  Yes I would be investing in certain sectors, stocks, bonds etc. right now.

I happen to be middle aged and invest money for retirement through a few different avenues (401k, Roth IRA and a traditional IRA).  In my IRA's I mostly invest in Bonds and ETF's and more specifically sectors although there are a couple of "specialty" ETF's that I dabble in.  Finally, I do invest in a few stocks by themselves on occasion when I see something that appears to be a good buy.  In my 401k I pretty much just put that money into a mutual fund that tracks the S&P 500.

I made a couple of moves last year that have done very well for me.  I bought shares in Micron technology (MU) back in May at around $9.50 per share after reading a few articles about their involvement in making certain memory types.  Today it's trading at around $23.50 per share.

In June on a hunch I bought shares of Smith & Wesson (SWHC) because it appeared that Hillary Clinton might win the election and there would be a run on gun sales.  Where I got lucky is that I placed my order the Friday before the Pulse Nightclub shooting and got in at around $21.50 per share.  I rode that stock until just before the election and sold because I expected a Trump Victory.  I got out a bit late at around $27 per share after it had peaked at around $30 per share, but I still made a pretty good return.  Today it's trading at less than $20 per share.

Around the same time frame (just before the election) I discovered an ETF that primarily focuses on Aerospace and Defense (ITA).  This one has been doing very well for me, and I anticipate that it's going to be a good long term growth kind of investment.

Now keep in mind, these are just a few moves that I have made on my own.  I also did make a couple of moves that didn't quite pan out the way that I anticipated.

As of right now, I'm more heavy into stocks (ETF's) than I am into bonds until I see an indicator that would make me think otherwise.  I expect that bonds might make a little bounce after the next Fed meeting because I'm sure that they are going to raise interest rates again.  That doesn't mean that bonds will be huge and stocks are going to tank, but we will see a slight (and expected) correction.

Regarding the part of your question regarding real estate, I also have shares in NYMT which is a REIT.  Regarding this investment, it's not really a "growth" investment it's more of an "income" investment.  Look at the history of it.  Generally speaking, when it trades at or near $6 per share is a good time to get into it.  It rarely goes above $8 per share, but what is nice is that they pay a very nice dividend quarterly so even though the price doesn't really increase much, you get a very nice return in the form of dividends.

Now keep in mind, I am by no means a financial professional.  If any of this doesn't make sense to you, I would recommend talking with a financial adviser.
Quote:The Dow went up 10,000 points in Obama's 8 year tenure as President.

Didn't Bush do TARP and the auto bailout? Obama really should thank him for making it look like he had anything to do with the recovery of either of those industries.
Quote:They forget all that.

They would rather point to alternative facts.
9K IN 8 YEARS

1K IN A LIL OVER A MONTH

We'll see where it sits at the end of Trump's 8 years ;-)
Quote:Didn't Bush do TARP and the auto bailout? Obama really should thank him for making it look like he had anything to do with the recovery of either of those industries.

Well Obama did do the wasteful and failed "cash for clunkers" thing.
Quote:Didn't Bush do TARP and the auto bailout? Obama really should thank him for making it look like he had anything to do with the recovery of either of those industries.

TARP and creating Homeland Security were the two worst decisions of Bush's presidency - horrific deficit spending and expansion of unsustainable government.
You guys are so selective in giving credit and casting blame.   Trump gets credit for the Dow going up a few hundred points, but Obama gets no credit for the Dow going up 13,000 points when he was President.   The Dow almost TRIPLED during the Obama administration.   The price of gas went down 30% to 40%, the unemployment rate was cut in half, and we had almost no inflation.  All this in spite of his inheriting the worst economic crisis in 80 years.  

But, does Obama get any credit with you guys?  Noooo.  

Quote:Questions .... assuming most of you are middle aged.

WSKY
Quote:You guys are so selective in giving credit and casting blame.   Trump gets credit for the Dow going up a few hundred points, but Obama gets no credit for the Dow going up 13,000 points when he was President.   The Dow almost TRIPLED during the Obama administration.  

These are the same people that told the Dixie Chicks to get out of the country for criticizing George W. Bush, and then praised Ted Nugent for criticizing Obama.  Now that Trump is President, it's probably unpatriotic to criticize the President again.  

It reminds me of this political cartoon:

[Image: cloneCOL.gif]
Pages: 1 2 3