Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Who's performance has been better, Cyprien or Joeckle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not going to give my opinion on this.  Instead I will use PFF stats.  Let's first take a quick look at how PFF grades.  Their explanation of grading is way too long too post in its entirety so here is the link:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Here are some quotes from this link:

1. Throughout the course of the season (regular season and playoffs) we grade every single offensive, defensive and special teams snap. We log data such as the point of attack of a running play, the location a pass was thrown and hang time of kicks and punts before moving on to the player-performance analysis.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">2.There are two main processes that are used to come up with the grades: player participation and the actual grading process. Player participation is more black and white as it consists of which players are on the field, where and general information about the actions they performed (rush the passer, drop into coverage, stay in to pass block, etc).

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">This process is performed by two separate analysts on two separate spreadsheets. Each spreadsheet is then compared and any discrepancies are reviewed by a third analyst in order to ensure near-100 percent accuracy. We’ve found that both blind runs are generally at least 99.7% accurate and once the games are checked, we’re confident that our work is very close to 100% by mid-week (actually stands at 99.98%).

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">As for the grading process, it starts as soon as a game is completed. Each play consists of two basic sections, one for the grading and one for stat collection, which would include detail such as (but by no means limited to) which gap the run goes through or which route was thrown on a pass.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">The grading for each game passes through three individuals (two who grade every player on every play) to ensure that the grading and stat collection is thoroughly checked and critiqued. This ensures that both our procedures and the interpretation of each play is rigorously checked and consistently applied.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">The results:

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">Cyprien  67th of 84  i.e, 76% of the league' safeties played better.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">Joeckle  67th of 88  i.e 79% of the league's tackles played better.

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;">Statistically that makes them pretty much dead even.  How do the stats match up with your perceptions?  Which player, if either, is a cornerstone of the franchise and which is a bust, if either?

<p style="font-size:12px;color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"> 

Trick question. They both sucked.
I think Cyp was a bit better. That's not to say Cyp was good, it just speaks volumes to how bad Joeckel was.
I think Cyprien is better right now but I like Joeckel's future better. Haven't seen much to show me that Cyprien can get better at the things he's bad at (zone coverage, ball skills, bad angles, missed tackles). Joeckel I think does more things well, and even if he doesn't stick at LT I think he's got a chance to be a quality G or RT. 

Cyp.

Cyp.

Cyprien had a good 1st year and an average/below-average second season. We know what Cyprien is capable of because he proved it on an NFL level. I'm not gonna chalk him or Joeckel even as a bust because they haven't developed into all pros in their second season. It takes time. Especially on such a youthful and inexperienced roster. There aren't many veterans to turn to.

They were both disappointing at times.  I don't care who was "better."  I just want them both to improve.

Cyprien is the easy answer if you were forced to choose. 

It's like asking who's fart smells better

Cyprian strung some good games together towards the end of the season. As of now, he is the better player.

Well at least we cant say that 100% of the league was better, so yeah there's that
Do you like your crap sandwich with crackers or toast?
Fortunately for Cyprien he will never be judged as harshly as Luke. Luke is pretty mich on an island facing the opposing teams' best pass rushers. Cyprien on the other will rarely ever cover someone by himself and has the help of corners, linebackers and the other safety.

As of right now I'd say they are both pretty disappointing considering I like them both and want them to play well.
They both are terrible. Joeckel is just pathetic though. He got owned most of the time.
Cyp is limited physically and at best will be a solid starter. I just don't think he has the speed to be a great safety. Joeckel is a truly gifted athlete. He just needs to get stronger and above all work on hand technique. There is little doubt in my mind that Joeckel will be really good by his third year.

Pretty easy one for me, I believe Cyprien has played alright and Luke has failed thus far. I know most folks dont seem to care for Cyprien but Im not as down on him as others.

Honestly... what's up with the constant, blatant, mispelling of Joeckel's name?
Quote:I am not going to give my opinion on this.  Instead I will use PFF stats.  Let's first take a quick look at how PFF grades.  Their explanation of grading is way too long too post in its entirety so here is the link:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Here are some quotes from this link:

1. Throughout the course of the season (regular season and playoffs) we grade every single offensive, defensive and special teams snap. We log data such as the point of attack of a running play, the location a pass was thrown and hang time of kicks and punts before moving on to the player-performance analysis.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">2.There are two main processes that are used to come up with the grades: player participation and the actual grading process. Player participation is more black and white as it consists of which players are on the field, where and general information about the actions they performed (rush the passer, drop into coverage, stay in to pass block, etc).

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">This process is performed by two separate analysts on two separate spreadsheets. Each spreadsheet is then compared and any discrepancies are reviewed by a third analyst in order to ensure near-100 percent accuracy. We’ve found that both blind runs are generally at least 99.7% accurate and once the games are checked, we’re confident that our work is very close to 100% by mid-week (actually stands at 99.98%).

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">As for the grading process, it starts as soon as a game is completed. Each play consists of two basic sections, one for the grading and one for stat collection, which would include detail such as (but by no means limited to) which gap the run goes through or which route was thrown on a pass.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">The grading for each game passes through three individuals (two who grade every player on every play) to ensure that the grading and stat collection is thoroughly checked and critiqued. This ensures that both our procedures and the interpretation of each play is rigorously checked and consistently applied.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">The results:

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Cyprien  67th of 84  i.e, 76% of the league' safeties played better.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Joeckle  67th of 88  i.e 79% of the league's tackles played better.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Helvetica, verdana, geneva, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Statistically that makes them pretty much dead even.  How do the stats match up with your perceptions?  Which player, if either, is a cornerstone of the franchise and which is a bust, if either?

To me it is obivious that Jonathan Cyprien has played better at Strong Safety position than Luke Joekel has played at LT.  In both cases the supporting cast were lacking of talent, but Pro Bowl Right Tackle Zane Beadles playing LG was a better partner than a rookie whom was cut / benched a few times in his two years as a drafted Jaguar FS Josh Evans.

In the most recent few games including the last one against the Texans we saw a scrub Sam Young at RT do a better job at blocking JJ Watt than a high 1st round LT draft pick did, yet in that same game Cyprien did rather well....
Quote:Honestly... what's up with the constant, blatant, mispelling of Joeckel's name?
His play at left tackle is a Joke?