Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: EPA to shut down Osage County wells following Pawnee earthquake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://newsok.com/article/5517005

State and federal regulators say they are working on a new partnership in northeast Oklahoma after Saturday's record-tying magnitude 5.6 earthquake near Pawnee.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:19px;">The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will follow Oklahoma Corporation Commission recommendations and shut down 17 saltwater disposal wells in southwest Osage County, EPA said in an email to the Corporation Commission on Sunday. The email did not specify when the wells would close.

EARTHQUAKES IN OKLAHOMA

WHAT WE KNOW
<p style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:19px;"> 

<div style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">
<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">We know that Oklahoma experienced

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">Magnitude 3+ Earthquakes

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">2016: 623

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">2015: 907

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">2014: 585

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">2013: 109

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">While we understand that Oklahoma has historically experienced some level of seismicity, we know that the recent rise in earthquakes cannot be entirely attributed to natural causes. Seismologists have documented the relationship between wastewater disposal and triggered seismic activity. The Oklahoma Geological Survey has determined that the majority of recent earthquakes in central and north-central Oklahoma are very likely triggered by the injection of produced water in disposal wells.

<p style="font-family:inherit;font-style:inherit;">http://earthquakes.ok.gov/what-we-know/

</div>

Have they shut them down yet?
Quote:Have they shut them down yet?
Why don't you call and ask? 
Quote:Why don't you call and ask?

So you don't know, gotcha. At least your mad cut and paste skills and catchy subtitle writing got a workout.
I guess my laughing face will not translate.
Quote:I guess my laughing face will not translate.

I bet the people living there aren't laughing. 
Quote:I bet the people living there aren't laughing.

I hope they find a way to rebuild after that monsterous quake.
Good luck on the tribal cooperation. These disposal wells have been untouchable for a while now. If the EPA does manage to shut them down, then the EPA will have to find other means of waste disposal and the Bureau of Indian Affairs will continue to pump oil as they always have without batting an eye. Weird situation. 

LOL.  Linking to old news (September 2016) about an earthquake that damaged "dozens" of buildings.

Quote: 

On September 3, 2016, a magnitude 5.8 earthquake occurred, centering at Pawnee, in Pawnee County, damaging a dozen buildings. To date, this was the state's largest.
Quote:I hope they find a way to rebuild after that monsterous quake.

[Image: 28F8E2E400000578-3092179-image-m-30_1432288691069.jpg]
Quote:LOL.  Linking to old news (September 2016) about an earthquake that damaged "dozens" of buildings.
Haha. Definitely not the brightest bulb.
Quote:I bet the people living there aren't laughing.

I live in OKC and this particular quake woke me and the wife up at 7am. Very unpleasant. The damage in the little town it happened was minimal, a few bricks fell off a few buildings. From what I understand, they have been cutting down on the disposal wells in the state and I haven't felt an earthquake in months.
Quote:I live in OKC and this particular quake woke me and the wife up at 7am. Very unpleasant. The damage in the little town it happened was minimal, a few bricks fell off a few buildings. From what I understand, they have been cutting down on the disposal wells in the state and I haven't felt an earthquake in months.

That is good to hear. How do you feel about the fracking in general and the disposal wells? I know this is old news but I think it is still important. We need to be careful how we choose to pursue energy independence.
Quote:That is good to hear. How do you feel about the fracking in general and the disposal wells? I know this is old news but I think it is still important. We need to be careful how we choose to pursue energy independence.

I moved from south Florida and have only been out here for a year, so fracking, earthquakes, etc is all pretty new to me. That being said, most I've met here, whether liberal or conservative (mostly the latter) pretty much know that the disposal wells are responsible for the increase in seismic activity. It's a very open "secret" even amongst local politicians.

Personally, unless they can figure a less damaging way to dispose of the waste water byproduct of fracking, I am all for a reduction in this activity, no matter how many jobs in the energy sector it costs. Luckily, from what I understand, quite a bit of disposal wells have been shut down lately and I haven't felt any earthquakes in months. Of course, this is just anecdotal evidence from personal experience and talking to people I know, so take it with a grain of salt.
Quote:I moved from south Florida and have only been out here for a year, so fracking, earthquakes, etc is all pretty new to me. That being said, most I've met here, whether liberal or conservative (mostly the latter) pretty much know that the disposal wells are responsible for the increase in seismic activity. It's a very open "secret" even amongst local politicians.

Personally, unless they can figure a less damaging way to dispose of the waste water byproduct of fracking, I am all for a reduction in this activity, no matter how many jobs in the energy sector it costs. Luckily, from what I understand, quite a bit of disposal wells have been shut down lately and I haven't felt any earthquakes in months. Of course, this is just anecdotal evidence from personal experience and talking to people I know, so take it with a grain of salt.

I wish you and your family safety and appreciate you taking the time to provide an honest perspective.
Don't trust the soggy snowflake. He has been caught outright lying about what he does for a living.

Dude is lost in fantasy land.
Quote:Don't trust the soggy snowflake. He has been caught outright lying about what he does for a living.

Dude is lost in fantasy land.

Who are you talking to you? The only thing you do on here is talk crap.