Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tying a bow tie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I figured I'd try a bow tie for New Years tomorrow. This is my first time, and this is one of the most difficult things ever. I've watched YouTube videos over and over and still can't get it. I can get the bow formed, but when I go to try and tighten it, it falls apart.

Anyone have any easy tips?

Clip on my friend clip on.
Grab the right bow and the left tail and pull, then reverse.
My Dad always calls it the 10% rule.  You have to be 10% smarter than the tie to figure it out.  Ahhhi'm just kidding.  It'll be worst when you figure out the knot correctly.  It'll take you 20 tries to get the length right. 

Quote:Clip on my friend clip on.

But why use a method that is clearly better when you can do it the way it was done a hundred years ago and look worse?
I have a brother-in-law that's a professor of mathematics that routinely ties his own bow ties, but unless you live near Thibodaux Louisiana I recommend youtube.

Quote:But why use a method that is clearly better when you can do it the way it was done a hundred years ago and look worse?

It's like candle light over electricity!
Quote:But why use a method that is clearly better when you can do it the way it was done a hundred years ago and look worse?
I wear bowties every now and then. They don't need to look perfect, in fact that's a good thing since they are intrinsically quirky. I happen to think clip on bowties are so perfectly done that they look fake. You can spot them a mile a way and look bad IMO
Quote:I figured I'd try a bow tie for New Years tomorrow. This is my first time, and this is one of the most difficult things ever. I've watched YouTube videos over and over and still can't get it. I can get the bow formed, but when I go to try and tighten it, it falls apart.

Anyone have any easy tips?
I used this a couple years ago when I learned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjF-MzzqaE

just practice a couple time and you will get it. It's easy

Bill Nye has a tutorial online also but I couldn't find it quickly enough. 

I got it figured out. Had one of my managers show me. It really is a lot easier than I thought.
Why not tie it once, cut it in the back, and then when you want to put it on, just tape it together in the back?