Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A decade of misses with the first round pick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The Jaguars decade old first round draft picks

2003 QB Byron Leftwich  7th

2004 WR Reggie Williams

2005 QB made WR Matt Jones

2006 TE Marcedes Lewis 28th overall Pepsi commerical

2007 S Reggie Nelson

2008 DE Derrick Harvey traded to go up at #8

2009 LT Eugene Monroe 8th pick later traded to Baltimore Ravens

2010 DE made DT 3 tech Tyson Alualu 10th overall

2011 QB Blaine Gabbert 10th overall traded later on to 49ers for a 7th round pick

2012 WR Justin Blackmon drug problem still on team barely drafted 5th overall

2013 LT Luke Joeckel drafted 2nd overall GM Dave Caldwell's first pick with team

2014 QB Blake Bortles drafted 3rd overall told to sit on bench all year started at week 3

Has the Jaguars first round drafting improved since GM Dave Caldwell?  One could make excuses for LT Luke Joeckel and QB Blake Bortles poor performances this season (and last year for Luke), and it is too early to judge those players... (WR Blackmon had good potential if his off field addictions hadnt caused the team not to be able to use him on the field).

Alualu is still on the team yet as a backup player

TE Lewis is still on the team and the 2nd highest paid TE in the NFL but hes been average at best.

Which 1st round pick from above (because obivously it did get better prior to 2003) would you say is the best and which was the worst?

As bad as Lewis has been at times and way over paid I would have to say he was the best player in the past 10 first round draft picks as he is at least still on the team and according to GM Dave Caldwell incredible on the field.  The worst wouldve had to have been DE Harvey he was just such a let down for so many fans hoping for a pass rusher.

2003-2008 makes me want to throw up.

Although we did trade up for Gaberrt.  This will be the 8th year in a row with a top 10 pick

Quote:2003-2008 makes me want to throw up.
Me as well...... Horrible!
Shack Harris years that man destroyed this team way more then jeansmiffs could have.
Breaking news. The Jaguars have drafted bad for the last ten years.

I swear some of you guys are masochists.

But don't ya know, we need to tank for a better draft pick.
Quote:Shack Harris years that man destroyed this team way more then jeansmiffs could have.
Patently false.

Throughout Smith's tenure, the best players on the team were ones drafted before he got there.

MJD, Darryl Smith, Marcedes, Rashean, Greg Jones, Garrard, etc.
I didnt realize.  thanks for posting this

10/10 quality post would read again

You think we didn't already know this?

People seem to forget that Lewis made the Pro Bowl in 2010. Guess having the best year in franchise history for a TE is "average at best."

Bad picks equal a bad team.

Quote:People seem to forget that Lewis made the Pro Bowl in 2010. Guess having the best year in franchise history for a TE is "average at best."
Didnt he get in by default "alternate with injury"?  I remember the year he made it, and I had thought to myself it was the best year of his career only to get a huge contact and tank the rest of his career.
It was pretty rough, compares to Detroit with GM Matt Millen drafting ...
Quote:Bad picks equal a bad team.
How much input does a head coach have in the players drafted or aquired in free agency.  Did Jack Del Rio get a raw deal from bad drafting and lack of talent in Jacksonville?  I mean I know he's not a fantastic Head Coach like Andy Reid for example, but he was so much better than Mularkey!
Quote:Didnt he get in by default "alternate with injury"?  I remember the year he made it, and I had thought to myself it was the best year of his career only to get a huge contact and tank the rest of his career.
Gates was the selected starter, Lewis was the reserve. Gates was injured and was replaced by Zach Miller making Lewis the starter. In short; he would have gone to the Pro Bowl even if Gates had played. 
Quote:Shack Harris years that man destroyed this team way more then jeansmiffs could have.

You have no clue
When the kneejerkers and bibbers cry incessantly about this team and want to randomly fire this guy or that guy, they never give this any thought.

That's why we shouldn't give them any thought.

Quote:People seem to forget that Lewis made the Pro Bowl in 2010. Guess having the best year in franchise history for a TE is "average at best."

Reggie Williams holds the record for most TDs by a Jaguars WR, what's your point?

Marcedes Lewis had that one really good season. Aside from that, he hasn't performed like one would think a 6'7 first-round tight end should. Interestingly enough, he was considered more of a pass catcher coming out of college, and ended up being a good blocker in the pros. Not bad, not great; a pretty average overall TE.
I think if you were to say that in 2006 you were going to get the best TE in franchise history with a 10 TD season and a RB setting franchise records and Leading the league in rushing yards, and both make appearances in a Pro Bowl, you would take it.
Pages: 1 2 3