Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: SCCY Pistols
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any feedback?

I'm looking at a CPX-2 9mm. Cabela's is running a great deal on them or a Taurus PT111.

Basically this gun is to sit in my center console since I drive so much for work and go to some back woods areas.

I know neither will be quite as good as my Sig SP2022, but I'm hearing the SCCY is a really nice, affordable gun.

I can get it or the Taurus in 9mm for $225 before tax right now.
Quote:Any feedback?

I'm looking at a CPX-2 9mm. Cabela's is running a great deal on them or a Taurus PT111.

Basically this gun is to sit in my center console since I drive so much for work and go to some back woods areas.

I know neither will be quite as good as my Sig SP2022, but I'm hearing the SCCY is a really nice, affordable gun.

Why not use the sig? Or are you looking for smaller to conceal?
Quote:Why not use the sig? Or are you looking for smaller to conceal?
Looking for something smaller. I keep the Sig at the house. This would be more for a regular carry or for just keeping in the car while working. Not allowed to physically carry while on the clock.

Just want something affordable for a bit of protection on the road.
For anyone interested, I went with the Taurus. Side by side, the Taurus just felt more comfortable
My favorite conceal carry is the px4 but it's not an every day carry gun.
This is my favourite one at the moment..

[Image: spudgun300x300_2_.jpg]

Quote:This is my favourite one at the moment..

[Image: spudgun300x300_2_.jpg]

Is that even legal across the pond?
Quote:Is that even legal across the pond?

With the correct permit and under strict guidelines.

For instance: we're not allowed to use real potatoes, they'll have to be foam ones.

Quote:With the correct permit and under strict guidelines.

For instance: we're not allowed to use real potatoes, they'll have to be foam ones.
There are many different kinds of foam. This could get rather complicated.
Quote:Any feedback?

If you are shopping on a budget, between the Taurus and the CPX I would go Taurus all day. I have not had the best impressions from the SCCY pistols I have shot and handled.
I have a PT111, I like the weapon but will tell you that I did have an issue with the action after only pushing approx 200 rounds thru it. It started sticking not allowing double action all the time. Took it in and they repaired it. Make sure you keep that weapon well maintained. For the price it is well worth it.

Quote:If you are shopping on a budget, between the Taurus and the CPX I would go Taurus all day. I have not had the best impressions from the SCCY pistols I have shot and handled.
I am going to have to second this one.  Maybe I'm a Glock snob, but I've shot CPX and Taurus, and if it's a tossup between the two, I'll take the Taurus as a carry weapon.  I had a few issues with the SCCY I shot with load failures which is always fun.  I was actually interested in trying the SCCY because I believe they're manufactured down in Daytona Beach.  Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the gun.  Nice looking though.

I have a couple of Glocks I carry.  Either a G19 Gen 4 or a G43.  It depends on what I'm doing, where I'm going, and what I'm wearing.  The 43 is a little big for pocket carry, but will do in a pinch.  Plus, it is flat out reliable.  I've never had a misfire, failure to discharge, or any other issue, and I've probably put close to 1,000 rounds through it, including some pretty crappy ammo at times depending on where we're shooting.  Same with the G19.  They're a little more expensive, but from my experience, worth it in the long run.  I know if I need to pull it, it will shoot without issues.

A friend of mine has the PT111 Millenium Gen 2 version.  Very nice gun.  He had an issue with the gun getting jammed.  There was a manufacturing flaw that was easily remedied, and he hasn't had a lick of trouble since.  He uses it the same way that the OP plans to, keeping it in the console of his truck when he's working in some shady areas of town.  It's actually got nice weight to it and doesn't have that buzzy feeling you get with some compact guns.  He ended up putting a 3.5 lb trigger on the thing, so it's got really light action and clusters really well.  You can't go wrong with it for the money.

As mentioned, I did end up going with the Taurus. After comparing the two side by side, the Taurus felt much better. It's heavier, and just slightly bigger.

I appreciate all the input. I've heard Taurus customer service is a pain in the [BLEEP] though, but hopefully I'll never need to use it.
FBT, I am in the Glock camp as well. I tried to like HKs for a bit but realized I was over paying for comparable performance to my Glocks. So I sold the HKs and went back to the Honda Accord of handguns. Not pretty, run forever.
I'm not a Glock fan. The gun itself is great, but they're just so ugly, I can't do it.

I'm partial to Sig 90% of the time
Quote:There are many different kinds of foam. This could get rather complicated.

Different kinds of foam? You Americans are so lucky!
Quote:Different kinds of foam? You Americans are so lucky!

EPS, XPS, Poly Iso... The list goes on!
Quote:I'm not a Glock fan. The gun itself is great, but they're just so ugly, I can't do it.

I'm partial to Sig 90% of the time

It is all preference. I hate DA/SA guns and not real keen on Sig's striker fired guns.
As far as a "budget" class firearm, in my mind you can't go wrong with a Taurus.  I recently purchased a .45 ACP PT-1911 that I really like.  Though it's a bit big and bulky for concealed carry purposes, I've so far put about 300 rounds through it (Blazer Brass practice rounds) with no malfunctions.  I primarily carry this when I go out to our property in the country, or when I go fishing or hunting.  I like the stopping power of .45 ACP vs. 9mm, but that's pretty much a personal preference.  My only complaint is that I've had it flip to "safety on" while shooting (a common complaint).  I'm guessing that it has to do with my grip and after-market equipment will probably fix the problem.

I also just recently acquired a Kimber Micro 9 that I like for "common carry" purposes.  The only option that I didn't get that I wish I would have is the Crimson Trace grips/sight.  It's a nice, compact weapon that shoots very well.  Though I am a ".45 ACP guy" the 9mm version suits the purpose.

Regarding Glock, I have nothing against the brand, but I just don't like the look, feel, etc. of their pistols.  I must say that the Glocks that I have had the opportunity to shoot operated flawlessly, and I certainly wouldn't steer anyone away from them.

The bottom line is that it's all about personal preference and what appeals to the owner.  I just like the "classic" look and feel of a good old 1911.