Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Offseason prediction (with local media reaction)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This week

What will happen: Gus and Dave preach the team must have consistency to win. They have experienced a lot of growing pains but there have been a lot of positives too and the like the direction the team is headed. All assistant coaches stay.

Local media reaction: Consistency is important. The worst thing that you can do to a young team is change coaches every year. The team is making a smart move.

Free agency

What will happen: After signing no "top tier" free agents, the team loads up on "diamond in the rough" types. Gus and Dave mention how they want guys who will come in and compete.

Local media reaction: Free agency is fool's gold anyway. I mean look how many guys on Green Bay and Seattle are homegrown and they are great teams. The team doesn't want another Jerry Porter. I think (insert bargain free agent name) could be "another Sen'Derrick Marks. The team is making smart moves.

Vegas odds for 2015 released

What will happen: Jaguars will open as the worst Super Bowl odds in the league and the lowest over/under for victories.

Local media reaction: After what the team did in free agency, I can't believe they still have the worst odds. There is no way they are only going to win less than 5 games.

If Gus Bradley stays I assume his staff will stay, he's loyal and will fight for them.

The worst thing you can do is change things up at this point.  If you have faith in Gus and his scheme you have to let him work his magic.

If you feel he's a failure you have to fire him now and do a clean sweep.

I think he stays, and team improves next year but no playoffs (not after this season results)

We have to have some coaching changes.

You can't go 3-13 and just keep things going.
Quote:We have to have some coaching changes.

You would think so, But I would be shocked if anybody is let go. The only change might be a full time replacement for Yarno.
Honestly I think the only coaching changes will be special teams and Oline (if Yarno isn't back).  You don't want to bring a completely new offense that would set back all the guys who were rookies this year, and Jedd isn't the problem.

Quote:We have to have some coaching changes.

I know we don't want to be like the Redskins......  next year will be the bloodbath year.  My expectations are zero for next year.  Just because we have money to spend, I'm not sure the players we need to fit the team will be available.
I do not think, firing Gus Bradley or the entire coaching staff is the way to go. Give Gus one more year. If things remain the same he's gone. The team is very positive about Gus Bradley which shows that he's not the total problem. Lets hope Caldwells players keep improving and somehow sign vets who can make this team into contenders.

Bortles "There is a lot of room for improvement"

Bradley "Our effort was tremendous"

Yeah ...  more tripe.

Quote:Honestly I think the only coaching changes will be special teams and Oline (if Yarno isn't back).  You don't want to bring a completely new offense that would set back all the guys who were rookies this year, and Jedd isn't the problem.
I disagree with you on your "Jedd isn't the problem" and here's why. The sign of a great coach is the uncanny (and untaught) ability to make adjustments to what the other team is throwing at you. All year long, Jedd failed to recognize this and the offensive side of things suffered because of it. Perhaps, he just wanted to force his style and schemes based on the talent level he had out on the field but I believe that inability to adapt to the flow of the game, hurt our chances for victory at least a few games. When you have a really strong team you also really don't care what the other team is doing because you're good enough in the end to force your will on that other team. It goes without saying that the Jags are clearly not a strong team. His offensive plays got to be "predictable" and he has a QB that has the really bad habit of telegraphing his passes so defenses can really cheat and as bad as the OL was, Bortles din't help matters by advertising alot of his passes. So while many have a good case for staying with the "continuity" argument in coaching staff...........I say bring in a brilliant offensive mind now who also has the ability to make adjustments to what other teams are throwing his way. Finally, I cannot tell you how many times I saw on replay when Bortles took the sack that absolutely NOBODY laid a hand on the guy that sacked him. happens once or twice...........player mistake...........happens alot.............bad coachng. And, it happened alot this past season. 
The whole telegraphing stuff is a media creation.  When you have nowhere to go with the ball, you have nowhere to go with the ball.  This is the worst Jaguars offense we have put on the field.  Way too much inexperience and who knows what.  With all of the pieces being raw and not working together in a full offseason, who knows what we have in place for 2015.  I have a sinking suspicion that next year will be more of the same but I just don't know.

They have made darn sure that we don't have anything to accurately evaluate when you look at the complete picture.

Edit:

Honestly why wouldn't you blitz blitz blitz the Jaguars offense?  There was film everywhere that the line and running backs couldn't pick it up.  That is the reason the one throw back play worked so well.

I like what Jedd has done.... I was one that didn't really care for him at first, but watching some of the plays he calls shows he is a smart guy. It starts with our O-LINE, we need to protect the QB period.

Quote:I disagree with you on your "Jedd isn't the problem" and here's why. The sign of a great coach is the uncanny (and untaught) ability to make adjustments to what the other team is throwing at you. All year long, Jedd failed to recognize this and the offensive side of things suffered because of it. Perhaps, he just wanted to force his style and schemes based on the talent level he had out on the field but I believe that inability to adapt to the flow of the game, hurt our chances for victory at least a few games. When you have a really strong team you also really don't care what the other team is doing because you're good enough in the end to force your will on that other team. It goes without saying that the Jags are clearly not a strong team. His offensive plays got to be "predictable" and he has a QB that has the really bad habit of telegraphing his passes so defenses can really cheat and as bad as the OL was, Bortles din't help matters by advertising alot of his passes. So while many have a good case for staying with the "continuity" argument in coaching staff...........I say bring in a brilliant offensive mind now who also has the ability to make adjustments to what other teams are throwing his way. Finally, I cannot tell you how many times I saw on replay when Bortles took the sack that absolutely NOBODY laid a hand on the guy that sacked him. happens once or twice...........player mistake...........happens alot.............bad coachng. And, it happened alot this past season. 
"Happens once or twice....player mistake....happens a lot....bad coaching."  Could it be that the player is worthless at his position and no amount of coaching would make a difference?
I like Gus, but find me another coach who started out 7-32 and went on to be great?
Quote:I disagree with you on your "Jedd isn't the problem" and here's why. The sign of a great coach is the uncanny (and untaught) ability to make adjustments to what the other team is throwing at you. All year long, Jedd failed to recognize this and the offensive side of things suffered because of it. Perhaps, he just wanted to force his style and schemes based on the talent level he had out on the field but I believe that inability to adapt to the flow of the game, hurt our chances for victory at least a few games. When you have a really strong team you also really don't care what the other team is doing because you're good enough in the end to force your will on that other team. It goes without saying that the Jags are clearly not a strong team. His offensive plays got to be "predictable" and he has a QB that has the really bad habit of telegraphing his passes so defenses can really cheat and as bad as the OL was, Bortles din't help matters by advertising alot of his passes. So while many have a good case for staying with the "continuity" argument in coaching staff...........I say bring in a brilliant offensive mind now who also has the ability to make adjustments to what other teams are throwing his way. Finally, I cannot tell you how many times I saw on replay when Bortles took the sack that absolutely NOBODY laid a hand on the guy that sacked him. happens once or twice...........player mistake...........happens alot.............bad coachng. And, it happened alot this past season. 

Jedd doesn't coach the Oline.  He's not a position coach.  And I guess you can blame Jedd for Marcedes and Lee dropping balls that were in their hands if you want.  Whatever you wanna think, go ahead and think.  You can blame Jedd all you want, but when guys are dropping passes, Oline is getting whipped, and rookie QB is getting beat down every other time he drops back, the fault isn't on the coordinator.  The plays were there, but players need to execute the play.  That didn't happen a lot this year.
Quote:I like Gus, but find me another coach who started out 7-32 and went on to be great?

Belichick got run out of cleveland after a couple seasons.  The only reason he's thought to be a genius is because he happened to have Bledsoe in his prime, and Brady for his whole career after Bledsoe got hurt.

Vito may be on to something when he says it's as much about luck as anything else sometimes.
I think the scope of "adjustments" available for Fisch at halftime is also very limited.  With some players only having a minimal understanding of the existing game plan, scrapping it for something new might not be an option.  It's still a matter of finding plays that will work and having 11 players execute.  I did see more plays called specifically away from Watt and more protection sent to Watt's side in the 2nd half.  I think the biggest reason for the stagnant offense was the receivers rarely getting open and key drops when they did get open.  Those are drive killers.  Bortles was actually very agile in the pocket for the most part, and his runs were pretty special.  To see that much size galloping through the secondary - and he also protects himself well and lives for the next play.  I think Bortles has the size, athleticism, and intangibles that you want.  He's still raw, but I like his game and his attitude.  If he can fix some fundamentals and gain a complete mastery of the offense, then we've got a franchise QB, maybe the best one ever.

By not firing anyone, Gus is putting his head on the line that he believes we are going in the right direction. Another bad year, he is accountable and looking for a house in the next city he joins as a coordinator.
Quote:By not firing anyone, Gus is putting his head on the line that he believes we are going in the right direction. Another bad year, he is accountable and looking for a house in the next city he joins as a coordinator.

Makes sense to me.  We overhauled the offense and started 6 rookies and got the same results that we got with the guys those rookies replaced.  Rookies tend to develop in their second and third year.  I actually do think it's going in the right direction.  Competitiveness was what I wanted to see this year.  We had a chance to win the game yesterday, again.  That's what we got, with a crapload of rookies starting against playoff teams this year.  Competitiveness and opportunities to win games.  They were there.  Maturation will change a lot of those failed plays into successful plays.

Next year will be more fun as a fan regardless, because there is almost certainty that people are coaching for their jobs, unlike these past 2 years.
Quote:You would think so, But I would be shocked if anybody is let go. The only change might be a full time replacement for Yarno.
See that is a problem.  You know you aren't hitting on the proper cylinders to win football games, but you are going to stick with the same thing, just to see if it MIGHT work out.  That is not a good sign of a head coach.  He should recognize the faults in this system to improve it.  Fisch and Mallory are the number 1 issues, that this team cannot have next year.  If you are right, and Gus keeps them, he is not a good leader.  Which will result in his demise next year.
Pages: 1 2