Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Common Sense Has Gone Out The Window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Seriously, what did they expect, this guy pulled a gun on the officer. Anyone that pulls a gun on an officer is immediately putting themselves in harms way no justification whatsoever. Especially after the incident with the New York officers being assassinated the police are going to be extra cautious and assume you mean harm.

Now people are protesting being shot after pulling a gun on an officer!? The world's gone mad.....

http://news.yahoo.com/police-officer-mis...31706.html

That's because this has long ago stopped being about any single incident, justified or not. 

Quote:That's because this has long ago stopped being about any single incident, justified or not. 

If you want to make a case about police brutality it does your cause no good to riot when someone is shot for pulling a gun on an officer. Are the police just supposed to avoid all minorities now?

This has now evolved into a target the police, blame all the police, and actively attempt to engage the police with violence. That's not only a stupid game it's a dangerous and deadly game that ends well for no one.
Quote:If you want to make a case about police brutality it does your cause no good to riot when someone is shot for pulling a gun on an officer. Are the police just supposed to avoid all minorities now?

This has now evolved into a target the police, blame all the police, and actively attempt to engage the police with violence. That's not only a stupid game it's a dangerous and deadly game that ends well for no one.

I agree with you. 

One problem was that the initial story being reported did not say the guy had pulled a gun.  So everyone got all riled up about it before they had the facts.  

The protesters could not have picked a worse trio of characters around which to build a cause.   Michael Brown- robbed a convenience store, punched a police officer and tried to take away his gun.  Then the guy in NY- he'd been arrested a dozen times.   This time he decided he didn't want to be arrested.   Cop probably shouldn't have overreacted, but then again, the guy was resisting arrest for committing a crime and he knew he was committing a crime.  And then this one- guy pulls a gun on a police officer and gets shot.   And in addition to that, they let Al Sharpton become their spokesman.   Talk about shooting yourself in the foot politically. 

My point is, what the protesters need to do is win the public over to their side.  So far, all they've done is repel the very people who can help them win this battle politically- the mass of people in the middle.   Do they really expect people like me to side with a guy like Michael Brown against the police?  

There's a huge backlash growing against these protesters, and they have brought it on themselves.   I'm not saying their cause isn't just.   That is a different conversation.   I'm saying the protesters have lost the political battle.   The great mass of people are not persuaded.   They are repelled. 
I heard about this on the radio on my drive in this morning, It was around 7:20am and they where reporting the guy pulled a gun and then was shot by the officer. I think anyone that was interested in making a case about police brutality, militarization of police, or anything at all has left the movement long ago. This group that remains and continues to show up across the nation has one item on their agenda, chaos.

Agents of chaos have no purpose or goal they just seek chaos for the sake of it. Hopefully this starts calming down but if they keep actively engaging the police things will only get worse.

The media and social media are the problems.

How the media presents the story: 

"Teenager Antonio Martin, who fed the homeless and gave christmas presents to orphans was shot while coming out of a gas station, because he matched the profile of a suspect who was described only as 'black'. Witnesses doubt that there even was a robbery in the area.  While pulling out a present that he was going to give to the police, the officer (a former KKK member) shot the black teen three times.  His mother reports that he was out with his girlfriend, and we totally believe it despite the fact that no female was seen on camera.  She was clearly just out of view with her little brother who has cancer.  And lost one of his legs.  We believe his name might have been Tiny Tim"

Social Media:

"Innocent Thug killed by Police Officer.  You can't believe police!  They planted the gun on him.  In broad daylight.  Where there was a security camera nearby.  You can however believe his thug friend who later denied being there at all.  Everyone knows thugs don't lie!  They only steal from the over-privileged.  They like Robin Hood"

Quote:The media and social media are the problems.

How the media presents the story: 

"Teenager Antonio Martin, who fed the homeless and gave christmas presents to orphans was shot while coming out of a gas station, because he matched the profile of a suspect who was described only as 'black'. Witnesses doubt that there even was a robbery in the area.  While pulling out a present that he was going to give to the police, the officer (a former KKK member) shot the black teen three times.  His mother reports that he was out with his girlfriend, and we totally believe it despite the fact that no female was seen on camera.  She was clearly just out of view with her little brother who has cancer.  And lost one of his legs.  We believe his name might have been Tiny Tim"

Social Media:

"Innocent Thug killed by Police Officer.  You can't believe police!  They planted the gun on him.  In broad daylight.  Where there was a security camera nearby.  You can however believe his thug friend who later denied being there at all.  Everyone knows thugs don't lie!  They only steal from the over-privileged.  They like Robin Hood"

I hope you realize that you are hurting your own argument, if you even have one.

By making "the media" and "social media" the bad guys you seem to say you have no rational argument to match the protesters. In other words - you seem to be on the same level as those in the streets.

So - that's all you got?
Quote:I hope you realize that you are hurting your own argument, if you even have one.

By making "the media" and "social media" the bad guys you seem to say you have no rational argument to match the protesters. In other words - you seem to be on the same level as those in the streets.

So - that's all you got?

Oh look.  Another condescending post by Adam.  Are you a part of the media or something?  Is that why you defend them so much?

I hate to break it to you, but your precious media is a part of the problem.  The spread of misinformation is what causes these rioters to protest.  They jump to report anything that could be sensationalized, drawing immediate connection with the Ferguson shooting.  instead of doing any actual journalism, and trying to confirm their sources.  One of which later recanted that they were there.  When things are sensationalized, people will jump all over it.  

Reports are still trying to say that he was there with his girlfriend, even though video evidence suggests otherwise.  And some reports still leave out the fact that the teen was armed.  And then people on social media paint a prettier picture of the suspect than is the case.  Just as the media does.  

But nope.  Media good.  Rioters and people who don't like the media?  Bad!  It's that simple.  

Quote:Oh look.  Another condescending post by Adam.  Are you a part of the media or something?  Is that why you defend them so much?

I hate to break it to you, but your precious media is a part of the problem.  The spread of misinformation is what causes these rioters to protest.  They jump to report anything that could be sensationalized, drawing immediate connection with the Ferguson shooting.  instead of doing any actual journalism, and trying to confirm their sources.  One of which later recanted that they were there.  When things are sensationalized, people will jump all over it.  

Reports are still trying to say that he was there with his girlfriend, even though video evidence suggests otherwise.  And some reports still leave out the fact that the teen was armed.  And then people on social media (hiding behind their computers) paint a prettier picture of the suspect than is the case.  Just as the media does.  

But nope.  Media good.  Rioters and people who don't like the media?  Bad!  It's that simple.  

Boy, can you get any more simplistic?

So you're saying you believe everything you read or see? Why do you do that? Why don't you increase your sources of information and determine what you think is real or important?

Or are you going to say that you know the real truth - it's only those other people who are so easily fooled? So we should just wait until you tell us what to think?

Nah, I don't think so.
Quote:Boy, can you get any more simplistic?

So you're saying you believe everything you read or see? Why do you do that? Why don't you increase your sources of information and determine what you think is real or important?

Or are you going to say that you know the real truth - it's only those other people who are so easily fooled? So we should just wait until you tell us what to think?

Nah, I don't think so.

So you're saying that the media shouldn't bother to check their sources?

Got it.  You think that the media is perfect.  If they report something wrong, hey it's someone else's fault for believing them!  The media shouldn't have any accountability.  Man, talk about simple.
Quote:So you're saying that the media shouldn't bother to check their sources?

Got it.  You think that the media is perfect.  If they report something wrong, hey it's someone else's fault for believing them!  The media shouldn't have any accountability.  Man, talk about simple.

Yeah, everyone is a tool of the media - except you.

Blah, blah, blah ...
Quote:Oh look. Another condescending post by Adam. Are you a part of the media or something? Is that why you defend them so much?

I hate to break it to you, but your precious media is a part of the problem. The spread of misinformation is what causes these rioters to protest. They jump to report anything that could be sensationalized, drawing immediate connection with the Ferguson shooting. instead of doing any actual journalism, and trying to confirm their sources. One of which later recanted that they were there. When things are sensationalized, people will jump all over it.

Reports are still trying to say that he was there with his girlfriend, even though video evidence suggests otherwise. And some reports still leave out the fact that the teen was armed. And then people on social media paint a prettier picture of the suspect than is the case. Just as the media does.

But nope. Media good. Rioters and people who don't like the media? Bad! It's that simple.

I agree, but don't you think race Hucksters like Al Sharpton are the problem as well? What was his chant he was saying to the crowd? "What do we want?, DEAD COPS!, when do we want it? NOW!"

He has been stirring the pot without facts for months, and look at the death and destruction he's caused.
Quote:I agree, but don't you think race Hucksters like Al Sharpton are the problem as well? What was his chant he was saying to the crowd? "What do we want?, DEAD COPS!, when do we want it? NOW!"

He has been stirring the pot without facts for months, and look at the death and destruction he's caused.

Was Sharpton there for those chants?
Quote:Was Sharpton there for those chants?

Yes he was. That's why I referenced it.
Quote:Yes he was. That's why I referenced it.

Wow that's a new low even for him, I didn't know Sharpton was involved in those chants. 
Quote:Wow that's a new low even for him, I didn't know Sharpton was involved in those chants. 

It's sick isn't it?  Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!
Quote:The protesters could not have picked a worse trio of characters around which to build a cause.   Michael Brown- robbed a convenience store, punched a police officer and tried to take away his gun.  Then the guy in NY- he'd been arrested a dozen times.   This time he decided he didn't want to be arrested.   Cop probably shouldn't have overreacted, but then again, the guy was resisting arrest for committing a crime and he knew he was committing a crime.  And then this one- guy pulls a gun on a police officer and gets shot.   And in addition to that, they let Al Sharpton become their spokesman.   Talk about shooting yourself in the foot politically. 

My point is, what the protesters need to do is win the public over to their side.  So far, all they've done is repel the very people who can help them win this battle politically- the mass of people in the middle.   Do they really expect people like me to side with a guy like Michael Brown against the police?  

There's a huge backlash growing against these protesters, and they have brought it on themselves.   I'm not saying their cause isn't just.   That is a different conversation.   I'm saying the protesters have lost the political battle.   The great mass of people are not persuaded.   They are repelled. 

Interestingly enough, the case which should be the most sympathetic for the protestors is the one receiving the least attention. It also happens to be the one in which the family shunned Sharpton.

Akai Gurley was an unarmed man who was shot and killed in a stairwell by a rookie NYPD officer who himself said the shooting was "an accident." (Source: http://nypost.com/2014/11/21/police-fata...-building/) Apparently the gun accidentally fired when the officer tried to open a door while holding the gun in one hand and his flashlight in the other. Reports from the NY Daily News say that after Gurley was shot, the officer and his partner went incommunicado for 6 and a half minutes, meaning they failed to call in the shooting. They did, however, reportedly find time to text their union representative. NY Daily News also reports that the two officers weren't even supposed to be in the building where Gurley was shot. (Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/broo...-1.2034219)

Gurley's family then fought back against Sharpton, preventing him from getting involved in the case. (Source: http://nypost.com/2014/12/05/cop-shoot-v...-sharpton/ )

You would think Gurley's case would be the one the protesters focus on, as it seems to be the most egregious. The Brown case had a lot of discrepancies and the evidence tends to agree with Officer Wilson, Eric Garner did resist arrest prior to his death, and now Antonio Martin pulled a gun on the cop who shot him. All of those cases have a lot of factors that support the officers, so obviously the protestors will face pushback on those cases, just like you (ytraM) point out. But the Gurley case, from all that has been reported so far, seems to have very little going in the officer's favor.

Yet, as your post shows, the Gurley case is not one of the cases getting all the attention. (Note: I'm not trying to single you out here ytraM. I'm just using you as an example because your post listed 3 big cases as based on the protests and news reports. So it shows what the media and protestors are focusing on, which is not the Gurley case.) I think this raises an interesting question regarding Sharpton and his involvement though; is all his publicity worth it, even though he brings so much negative baggage and attention from his reputation + antics versus not having him involved at all?
Al Sharpton is evil personified so no, the attention he brings isn't worth the end result. The end doesn't justify the means. He's a race baiting pot stirrer. No good ever comes out of that.
Quote:Al Sharpton is evil personified so no, the attention he brings isn't worth the end result. The end doesn't justify the means. He's a race baiting pot stirrer. No good ever comes out of that.

Amazing that he has any following. The guy was a FBI informant. Owes a ton of money in back taxes. Etc etc.

Why anyone would think he's credible is the perfect example of how common sense isn't common..it's now an oxymoron. Emphasis on the moron part.
Quote:Boy, can you get any more simplistic?

Nah, I don't think so.
I think what he is saying is people post misleading headlines and news skews things how they want to view them and what will generate the most ratings. I'm constantly correcting people of Facebook. They'll post something with a misleading headline and when you read the story it is nothing like the headline. People don't even bother to dig for the truth. People will post things to fit their agendas. The news has a huge control on how this counter views the world. That is the reality of it. They control the narrative.
Pages: 1 2