Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars-Texans game Flexed to FOX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I saw the following info on PFT a few minutes ago.   The Houston Chronicle confirmed it:

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/201...-stations/

Why?
Quote:Why?

The NFL probably wanted the Carolina-Atlanta game to be available to most of the country at 4 and the only way to do that was to move it to CBS. They gave FOX a game with some playoff implications.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...25-on-cbs/

Did not see other post MODS can delete this

I like it. Makes for a shorter off-season.
Thanks for the heads up D6.

I won't be surprised if the NFL starts to relax the broadcast rights between CBS and FOX next season.
Quote:Thanks for the heads up D6.

I won't be surprised if the NFL starts to relax the broadcast rights between CBS and FOX next season.

My pleasure,  Jamies_fried_chicken!

Even this season,  there has been much more cross flexing between the two Networks than has been the case in past seasons.  Including on Thanksgiving Day when only NFC teams were scheduled and in the recent Cincinnati-Cleveland game in which Johnny Manziel made his first start.   More is likely to come in future seasons.
What is the purpose of allowing CBS and Fox to swap games like this?

I was hoping the Lions/Packers game would be flexed to 4:30 and shown nationwide.

Quote:What is the purpose of allowing CBS and Fox to swap games like this?

I was hoping the Lions/Packers game would be flexed to 4:30 and shown nationwide.

The Lions-Packers game was flexed to the 4:25pm ET time slot.   It will be on FOX.  My guess is practically the entire U.S. will get the game except in NFC West territory.   St. Louis- Seattle and Arizona-San Francisco are also in that time slot.

Overall,   it seems like the NFL is trying to combine maximizing TV ratings and balancing the quality of games for each network.  Putting the Jaguars-Texans game on FOX in the 1:00pm ET time slot gives FOX back a game at that time that has potential playoff ramifications.   
Quote:The Lions-Packers game was flexed to the 4:25pm ET time slot. It will be on FOX.  My guess is practically the entire U.S. will get the game except in NFC West territory. St. Louis- Seattle and Arizona-San Francisco are also in that time slot.

Overall, it seems like the NFL is trying to combine maximizing TV ratings and balancing the quality of games for each network. Putting the Jaguars-Texans game on FOX in the 1:00pm ET time slot gives FOX back a game at that time that has potential playoff ramifications.   

How is moving the Jaguars/Texans game to Fox improving their ratings? The Texans still need the Chargers and Ravens to lose and are a big favorite over one of the worst teams in the NFL. Not exactly must-see TV.

Quote:How is moving the Jaguars/Texans game to Fox improving their ratings? The Texans still need the Chargers and Ravens to lose and are a big favorite over one of the worst teams in the NFL. Not exactly must-see TV.

The Lions-Packers and Panthers-Falcons games were moved out of the 1:00pm ET time slot.   Panthers-Falcons game is now on CBS at 4:25PM.   The loss of these two games hurts FOX in the 1:00pm ET time slot.   The Jaguars-Texans game should improve FOX's ratings in some markets.   It's especially significant in the Houston market.,  which is a top 10 sized market.    

The only other remaining game for FOX in the 1:00pm time slot that has any playoff ramifications is the Cowboys-Redskins game.   That game has noticeably less playoff ramifications for the Cowboys,  because they are closer to being locked into the # 3 seed than the uncertainty surrounding the final playoff spot in the AFC.  

While the Texans are a big favorite against the Jaguars,   the Texans QB situation adds a large degree of uncertainty in this game.  If the Jaguars protect the football,  this game could easily come down to the last few minutes. 

The Texans need help from the Chiefs and Browns.   But at least the Texans have something potentially substantial to play for.   I definitely think it benefits FOX having this game on their slate.
How did they pick the Panthers/Falcons game to be on CBS?

Quote:How did they pick the Panthers/Falcons game to be on CBS?

The Bengals-Steelers game was flexed to Sunday Night on NBC.   Hence,  CBS lost arguably their best game on their Week # 17 slate.    Hence,  the NFL wanted to give CBS something back that has playoff ramifications.   With the 4:25pm slot on CBS previously only having the Raiders-Broncos game,  the Panthers-Falcons game should significantly increase CBS' ratings in the late afternoon time slot.  Especially in sizeable parts of the Southeastern portion of the U.S.   Even though both teams will finish under .500,   the game has win or go home ramifications.   
The NFL simply wants to put as many 2 playoff team match ups in national game slots. Cin-Pit, Atl-Car, GB-Det. So after moving things around to show them the most, fox lost too much and had to get a game back. Houston is a big enough market so they won't lose money.

Division crowning games I will add
I just like watching football...

Quote:The Bengals-Steelers game was flexed to Sunday Night on NBC.   Hence,  CBS lost arguably their best game on their Week # 17 slate.    Hence,  the NFL wanted to give CBS something back that has playoff ramifications.   With the 4:25pm slot on CBS previously only having the Raiders-Broncos game,  the Panthers-Falcons game should significantly increase CBS' ratings in the late afternoon time slot.  Especially in sizeable parts of the Southeastern portion of the U.S.   Even though both teams will finish under .500,   the game has win or go home ramifications.   

Also, the Falcons-Panthers game is the only head-to-head elimination game of the weekend.  The NFL wants as many households getting this type of game as possible since it is essentially a playoff game.  I would expect most of the country to see this game on CBS instead of the Raiders-Broncos game.  In my opinion, the Falcons-Panthers game would have been a better choice for Sunday night because of the elimination factor, though I know that prime time Steelers games are likely a better draw nationally.
Quote:I just like watching football...

Then you will fully enjoy the next several weeks of football coming up, just like I will.
Quote:Also, the Falcons-Panthers game is the only head-to-head elimination game of the weekend.  The NFL wants as many households getting this type of game as possible since it is essentially a playoff game.  I would expect most of the country to see this game on CBS instead of the Raiders-Broncos game.  In my opinion, the Falcons-Panthers game would have been a better choice for Sunday night because of the elimination factor, though I know that prime time Steelers games are likely a better draw nationally.

NBC did it right. Although both the Bengals and Steelers clinched playoff spots already most people would rather watch their battle for the AFC North title than two losing teams who are only in playoff contention because of the division they are in. The Steelers are more popular nationwide than the Panthers and Falcons. I think if NBC had selected a different game, it would have been the Packers and Lions.
Thanks.  Now I won't have to shift through crappy internet streams

Good. Fox is so much better.

Pages: 1 2 3