Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cuba
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've thought about this for a few days, at first I wasn't sure how I felt about Obama's change in our Cuban policy. This was my thought process, ok Cuba's a bad regime obviously communism not a fan. However is it our policy to only allow trade with nations that we approve of their political structure? If so how do you explain China?

With things getting a little ugly with Russia perhaps it's a good idea to try and create some better relations with Cuba. 

I know this the last 5 decade long embargo has done nothing to change Cuba's political atmosphere, so if that was the purpose of the embargo it's failed. 

What are the benefits of opening trade with Cuba? New market for commerce, improving relations with a neighboring nation, possibly laying the ground work for the next generation of Cubans to embrace a free market.

I have to give Obama credit where due, I think this is a good move, I think it's a smart move. But I'm open to discussion about this, and generally curious what everyone else's thoughts are. 

Of course it's a good move.

20 years of proving that spite is as bad a foreign policy as it is a business move.  Once the Berlin wall came down, there was no more need to isolate Cuba other than to punish Castro.  Trouble is, he wasn't the one really being hurt.

A lot of hurt feelings in Miami, but it's about time Cuban-Americans focused more on being American.
I like it. If the US has embassies in China and Vietnam why should Cuba be any different?

Quote:I like it. If the US has embassies in China and Vietnam why should Cuba be any different?

That was my line of thought as well, China is guilty of more human rights violations then anyone and don't forbid trade with them so why Cuba?
Quote:I like it. If the US has embassies in China and Vietnam why should Cuba be any different?
Because they're not as powerful as China and because the Vietnamese expat vote never got anyone elected?

And yes, the move is loooonnnnggg overdue.  One advantage of being a lame duck president - you have nothing to lose.  Good move, Obama.

BTW, Rand Paul, Obama's political opposite, also likes the move for the same reasons I, and apparently Eric, do.  50 years is enough time to prove isolating us from Cuba didn't work, and it gives us a chance to show Cubans what we're all about.  They can take it or leave it, but at least they'll get to know firsthand instead of by state TV.

It's early in the game yet, but I can't wait to dive a Cuban reef or surf a Cuban break.  I may finally get my chance.
Seems like our current policy would only hurt the poor, those perched at the top will stay sitting at the top.  Seems like more trade and exposure will help facilitate the citizens desire to change their system.  It's bad enough when someone hates you, why have that someone be your neighbor.   

As far as I'm concerned, this should have happened more than 20 years ago after the Berlin Wall came down, and the Soviet Union collapsed. The question now is, does this mean that we'll normalize relations and trade with Iran, Syria, and even North Korea in the future too?

Have to agree with everyone whose posted.  

At first I had the same thought of, what the heckler is going on? Never thought I'd see it happen. Then had the same thought as Eric about China. It didn't have the effect that was intended so I say, why not?
One of the talking heads on the Sunday morning political talk shows described this as potential for a modern Trojan Horse invasion. American investment, internet access, information. That's what will undermine an oppressive regime, something 5 decades of isolation and hardship for Cuba's poorest citizens failed to do.

This was long overdue.

Quote:One of the talking heads on the Sunday morning political talk shows described this as potential for a modern Trojan Horse invasion. American investment, internet access, information. That's what will undermine an oppressive regime, something 5 decades of isolation and hardship for Cuba's poorest citizens failed to do.

This was long overdue.

All one has to do is observe China and Cuba over the last 30 years, which one has privatized more of their industry? 

China has at least begun to privatize some of their economy, Cuba on the other hand has remained as oppressive as ever. I agree information and innovation will do more to free oppressed people then embargo's.
Cuba failed to be relevant in the world when the Soviet Union collapsed. This move is long overdue and after the Castro brothers perish I believe you'll see democracy once again take over the country which will lead to the island being a playground for the rich again. Europeans have been vacationing there for decades, so there is nothing preventing Americans from doing the same.

Back during the missile crisis Fidel wanted to cozy up to Kruschev and become a worldwide heavyweight. He's been a chump is all.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

All I want is a good cuban cigar cheap

Dang Cuban Monte Cristos and Churchills are roughly $12 - $15 each in the Bahamas, more in Canada. I want cheap ones too.

I'll be buying a few anyway in a couple of weeks.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

I have a question; what happens if you, as an American citizen, try to come back to the US and the office checking your passport sees a nice fresh Cuban immigration stamp in it?

Quote:I have a question; what happens if you, as an American citizen, try to come back to the US and the office checking your passport sees a nice fresh Cuban immigration stamp in it?

There are no direct flights between the US and Cuba. You either have to go to Mexico or Canada and you can cross the borders there No Problem
Quote:There are no direct flights between the US and Cuba. You either have to go to Mexico or Canada and you can cross the borders there No Problem

I have done it a couple of times.  Make sure to put a hundred in your passport when you go through immigration, so they don't stamp your book.  [Image: smile.png]
Quote:There are no direct flights between the US and Cuba. You either have to go to Mexico or Canada and you can cross the borders there No Problem
There are direct charters between Miami and Havana, just need a special permit to get on them as a US citizen.