Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Florida Sheriffs Used SWAT Tactics in order to enforce Barbers licenses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

http://www.allgov.com/news/unusual-news/...ews=854308

http://www.vice.com/read/a-court-ruled-t...culous-922

Thankfully, the Florida circuit courts had enough common sense to realize the absurdity of this raid, and punish the Sheriff's Department in Orlando.

Another thing, why was something like this so under-reported by the mainstream news media back in 2010? Why are we only hearing about this in 2014 from independent news agencies like VICE?

So absurd it's hilarious to think about...and then depressing to think about. 

That's incredibly stupid. Just playing Devil's Advocate here, barber shops are very often a front for drug-trafficking since its so difficult to stop or monitor the come-and-go business that's common with one. Putting the opinion about legality of drugs aside, iit's assumed that where there are drugs, there are guns as well. 

I don't agree with it. Just sayin

Innocent till proven guilty right? Not in a militarized police state.
Quote:That's incredibly stupid. Just playing Devil's Advocate here, barber shops are very often a front for drug-trafficking since its so difficult to stop or monitor the come-and-go business that's common with one. Putting the opinion about legality of drugs aside, iit's assumed that where there are drugs, there are guns as well. 

I don't agree with it. Just sayin

But they weren't going in under the guise of stopping drugs.  They were checking their license.  

You are not saying, but you are just sayin?  I think you are sayin what you are sayin, know what I'm sayin?
Quote:So absurd it's hilarious to think about...and then depressing to think about. 

That avatar is freaking me out.
Quote:But they weren't going in under the guise of stopping drugs. They were checking their license.

You are not saying, but you are just sayin? I think you are sayin what you are sayin, know what I'm sayin?

I said it was stupid. I was clearly only playing Devil's Advocate here.
Quote:Innocent till proven guilty right? Not in a militarized police state.

This is what comes of "states rights" conservatism.
Quote:This is what comes of "states rights" conservatism.

In what world? This is a result of the militarization of the police at the federal level. It's not the states loading up on riot gear, mraps and fully automatic weapons.
Quote:In what world? This is a result of the militarization of the police at the federal level. It's not the states loading up on riot gear, mraps and fully automatic weapons.

The federal government doesn't run the police.

It's republicans trying to keep the miltary industrial complex rolling so that's why there is too much gear, and it's distributed to the state/municipal level thugs.

You want to solve this, strong central government is how it's done, not by letting the little cronies have their dark corners to operate out of.
Quote:The federal government doesn't run the police.

It's republicans trying to keep the miltary industrial complex rolling so that's why there is too much gear, and it's distributed to the state/municipal level thugs.

You want to solve this, strong central government is how it's done, not by letting the little cronies have their dark corners to operate out of.

No the federal government doesn't run the police but it's sending them the equipment under the 1033 program. This has been discussed deeply in other threads I don't want to derail this one, but you're crazy if you think centralizing the police force doesn't lead to militarizing the police force. I'd challenge you to find an example of ANY country that has ever centralized their police force and not simultaneously created a para-military police force domestically.
Quote:No the federal government doesn't run the police but it's sending them the equipment under the 1033 program. This has been discussed deeply in other threads I don't want to derail this one, but you're crazy if you think centralizing the police force doesn't lead to militarizing the police force. I'd challenge you to find an example of ANY country that has ever centralized their police force and not simultaneously created a para-military police force domestically.

You don't centralize it. You cut off the arms and you regulate the [BLEEP] out of them.

Police that violate rights should end up in federal prison, and under my plan, there would be a lot of crooked dirty harry wannabes in jail right now.
Quote:You don't centralize it. You cut off the arms and you regulate the [BAD WORD REMOVED] out of them.

Police that violate rights should end up in federal prison, and under my plan, there would be a lot of crooked dirty harry wannabes in jail right now.

I don't think anyone disagrees, police that violate rights should end up in federal prison. I'm questioning you saying the militarized police state is because of conservative states rights. That's a false statement on any front, the 1033 program which is the main driving force behind militarizing the police is a FEDERAL program.
Quote:I don't think anyone disagrees, police that violate rights should end up in federal prison. I'm questioning you saying the militarized police state is because of conservative states rights. That's a false statement on any front, the 1033 program which is the main driving force behind militarizing the police is a FEDERAL program.

I already explained it plainly to you Eric, at this point you're just grasping at straws for ideological reasons.

You want to stop militarization of the nation's police forces? It has to happen from the top, which means time to get rid of the "tough on crime," "defending our nation," "states rights, rawr!" Conservative garbage that has overseen the transformation of America from the nation everyone wanted to be a part of to the long national nightmare that Reagan started.
Quote:I already explained it plainly to you Eric, at this point you're just grasping at straws for ideological reasons.

You want to stop militarization of the nation's police forces? It has to happen from the top, which means time to get rid of the "tough on crime," "defending our nation," "states rights, rawr!" Conservative garbage that has overseen the transformation of America from the nation everyone wanted to be a part of to the long national nightmare that Reagan started.

So you're saying the war on crime is a conservative only agenda, that's simply not true on any front. Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and the entire Democratic party have also continued the war on crime, war on drugs campaign. I know you try and call even the most left wing American politicians center-right but they're not conservatives so trying to associate their policy with the conservatives is being dishonest.

Truthfully I could build a case demonstrating the war on crime or "tough on crime" as you've put all originated and is fueled from the federal level regardless if conservative or liberals are in charge. It's not an issue of Republican or Democrat issue either, these polices are pimped by both parties the solution isn't more of the same people pimping these policies it's eliminating their influence in local police.

The more you centralize power the more authoritarian it becomes, this notion that by centralizing and regulating local police you'd reduce the para-military movement is crazy.

I'll ask again, name any country that has ever centralized a police force and not ended up with a militarized police force on domestic soil. It's never happened in the history of mankind.
Quote:So you're saying the war on crime is a conservative only agenda, that's simply not true on any front. Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and the entire Democratic party have also continued the war on crime, war on drugs campaign. I know you try and call even the most left wing American politicians center-right but they're not conservatives so trying to associate their policy with the conservatives is being dishonest.

Truthfully I could build a case demonstrating the war on crime or "tough on crime" as you've put all originated and is fueled from the federal level regardless if conservative or liberals are in charge. It's not an issue of Republican or Democrat issue either, these polices are pimped by both parties the solution isn't more of the same people pimping these policies it's eliminating their influence in local police.

The more you centralize power the more authoritarian it becomes, this notion that by centralizing and regulating local police you'd reduce the para-military movement is crazy.

I'll ask again, name any country that has ever centralized a police force and not ended up with a militarized police force on domestic soil. It's never happened in the history of mankind.

The above bolded red text is the root of your problem.

You have an erroneous belief, and it causes you to misunderstand everything in an effort to prop that belief up.

Militia nuts are right-wingers. Pro police brutality hawks are right wingers. Pro mandatory sentencing proponents are right wingers.

You're so far off the farm that you don't even begin to understand reality.
Quote:The above bolded red text is the root of your problem.

You have an erroneous belief, and it causes you to misunderstand everything in an effort to prop that belief up.

Militia nuts are right-wingers. Pro police brutality hawks are right wingers. Pro mandatory sentencing proponents are right wingers.

You're so far off the farm that you don't even begin to understand reality.

You cite militias as evidence of supporting a military police force? I don't think you've ever meet a militia member outside of Hollywood depictions if you believe that.

Venezuela, USSR, China, North Korea, Cuba all centralized power, all authoritarian regime's. You keep trying to make it a right - left issue, hell Nazi Germany was considered a right wing regime and yet they militarized the police when they centralized power. You still have yet to name any country to ever centralize power and not militarize the police.

What you suggest defies every historical political structure to ever exist, and I'm the one not living in reality?

Centralizing power is synonymous with Authoritarian policies. Always has been, always will be, regardless of your utopian fantasies.
Quote:You still have yet to name any country to ever centralize power and not militarize the police.

How about the USA in the middle of the 20th century or any part of western Europe right now?
Quote:You don't centralize it. You cut off the arms and you regulate the [BAD WORD REMOVED] out of them.

There are a lot of police in jail. You just don't hear about it because it doesn't promote the narrative of police defending police.

Also, if you think the police are ineffective right now, wait until the Feds regulate them. The Federal government doesn't have any idea of to police on a local level. Each community is different and requires a different style of policing; having the Feds in the middle controlling everything would destroy any idea of developing a police department that caters to the needs of its people.
Quote:There are a lot of police in jail. You just don't hear about it because it doesn't promote the narrative of police defending police.

Also, if you think the police are ineffective right now, wait until the Feds regulate them. The Federal government doesn't have any idea of to police on a local level. Each community is different and requires a different style of policing; having the Feds in the middle controlling everything would destroy any idea of developing a police department that caters to the needs of its people.

agree 100% the Federal government has no business trying to police local communities. 
Pages: 1 2