Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Texans 2014 Draft Class not looking too promising
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...-the-ball/

Mostly inactive or ineffective. The first pick in every round and almost nothing to show for it.

That has to be a little troubling for tinhorn fans. But since I'm a Jaguars fan I hope they and everyone else in our division continues to have similar sucess with their future drafts.
Quote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...-the-ball/

Mostly inactive or ineffective. The first pick in every round and almost nothing to show for it.

It evokes visions of the Jaguars 2013 draft.

edit: though the Jaguars did OK considering the overall level of talent in the 2013 draft.

The 2014 draft was so full of talent that the fact that the texans have so little production out of it is a real indictment of their talent evaluators.

Will Clowney's level of play ever be worthy of the #1 overall pick in the 2014 draft?

Also, how much better will any of the QBs they passed on (Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr) get in the next few seasons?

These 2 questions will go a long way in evaluating their 2014 draft.

They are a +5 in the win column over last year, but they only had 2 total wins for the entire season, and that's after starting the season 2-0. OUCH. A season to forget.

Let's hope the Titans are just as bad when they are on the clock.

Quote:It evokes visions of the Jaguars 2013 draft.

edit: though the Jaguars did OK considering the overall level of talent in the 2013 draft.

The 2014 draft was so full of talent that the fact that the texans have so little production out of it is a real indictment of their talent evaluators.

Yeah. Last years draft was so deep you could have reached for multiple players at multiple positions and still came out on top.
Quote:It evokes visions of the Jaguars 2013 draft.

And look at their drafts the last five years or so.

JJ Watt might save Rick Smith's job. And that is good for us. Smith is terrible.
I'd like to see one of the more competent analysts dig and and rank them 1 to 32, would be very curious to see where we fall.

Clowney was all about "hype". Could be a good player, but not worth the 1st overall.

I'm surprised Xavier Sua-Filo hasn't played... but that just shows you how strong their offensive line is.  

He would have been a "plug and play" starter for us.

Their defense has more players that were supposed to be solid mid 1st  round picks than any team I can remember. When I watch their games I'm always thinking 'I remember that guy from mock drafts' Clowney, Crick, Reed, Cushing, Mercilus, Watt. If their D was reflective of pre draft analysis as opposed to actual play, they might have the greatest defense ever!

Good for the Jags and the rest of the AFCS.  Missing on draft classes?  Ya, we know what that can do 

Texans fell for the Clowney hype then fell asleep when Vikings traded up for Teddy. If they had taken Bortles or Teddy it's very possible they would be #1 in the AFCS. I'm not sure their QB carousel is a good approach, and now they're likely out of reach from Mariota/Winston.
Quote:Texans fell for the Clowney hype then fell asleep when Vikings traded up for Teddy. If they had taken Bortles or Teddy it's very possible they would be #1 in the AFCS. I'm not sure their QB carousel is a good approach, and now they're likely out of reach from Mariota/Winston.
You think if Bortles played for them this year they would have surpassed the Colts?
Well since we know how horrible it is to miss on picks I do feel their pain buuuuut I hope they keep it up Big Grin

Quote:You think if Bortles played for them this year they would have surpassed the Colts?
Yes. Texans have a better cast and easily the defensive MVP
Quote:Yes. Texans have a better cast and easily the defensive MVP
He's played much worse than the mediocraty the Texans already have.  Yes, Fitz played much better than Bortles.
Quote:He's played much worse than the mediocraty the Texans already have. Yes, Fitz played much better than Bortles.
Enough with your asinine apples to oranges comparisons. I'll simplify it for you, Bortles makes those around him better whereas none of the Texans QBs can claim such. If anything, that's the biggest thing holding them back and it has been for seasons now
Quote:Enough with your asinine apples to oranges comparisons. I'll simplify it for you, Bortles makes those around him better whereas none of the Texans QBs can claim such. If anything, that's the biggest thing holding them back and it has been for seasons now

I'll simplify it for you: Bortles hasn't played nearly as well as you believe.
Quote:I'll simplify it for you: Bortles hasn't played nearly as well as you believe.

Maybe so, but he hasn't played nearly as badly as the last few Jags QBs played, has he?
Pages: 1 2