Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Deion Sanders on Boselli "One of the best ever"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152691797043863

What are his chances of getting in the HoF someday?

I don't think he will. Didn't play long enough, didn't win the big game, and plays in Jax. If he does, though I'd be the happiest.

I agree with Deion.

And I like Tony even more now than then.
Tony is the reason we view our LT as not up to snuff.  He spoiled us.

Quote:I don't think he will. Didn't play long enough, didn't win the big game, and plays in Jax. If he does, though I'd be the happiest.

I disagree. He definitely will, it's just a question of when it happens.

I think this pretty much says why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Fo...ecade_Team

It might take something like the Jaguars winning a Superbowl or becoming successful over the long term to make voters start thinking about why the team doesn't have someone in the hall, but it will eventually happen. He was way too good for it not to happen.

He literally abused a hall of famer like Bruce Smith during the 96 playoff game. He's more than qualified for the HoF. Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Fred Taylor, and maybe even Brunell, are all worthy of the golden jacket too.

Quote:He literally abused a hall of famer like Bruce Smith during the 96 playoff game. He's more than qualified for the HoF. Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Fred Taylor, and maybe even Brunell, are all worthy of the golden jacket too.
Fred even though he has only one pro bowl deserves it. I'll take a prime Fred before injuries over any back in history.
Quote:He literally abused a hall of famer like Bruce Smith during the 96 playoff game. He's more than qualified for the HoF. Jimmy Smith, Keenan McCardell, Fred Taylor, and maybe even Brunell, are all worthy of the golden jacket too.
His career was just too short.  If he had played longer, Boselli definitely would have gotten in.

McCardell and Brunell aren't worthy.  I don't see anything extraordinary out of either one.

You can make a case for Fred or Jimmy though.
Quote:His career was just too short.  If he had played longer, Boselli definitely would have gotten in.

McCardell and Brunell aren't worthy.  I don't see anything extraordinary out of either one.

You can make a case for Fred or Jimmy though.

More or less my thoughts.  As much as I really liked McCardell and Brunell, neither one made a big enough impact in the NFL to make it in.

Boselli could make it in because during the time that he played he was THE best player at his position in the entire NFL.  What hurts his chances is the length of his career.

Fred Taylor should make it in.  If you look at his overall accomplishments he is "up there" in some great company.  The first one that comes to mind is Gayle Sayers.

Jimmy Smith could also potentially make it in some day.  I have always liked his story from being a rookie, health issues early that could have ended his life and how he became one of the best if not THE best during his time playing.  Ironically, Jimmy was so successful BECAUSE he played with McCardell and Brunell.
The guy was just dominant for a short few years.

Whenever I play NFL Street on PS2, Jimmy Smith always torches me Sad
Boselli was by far the best Jags player in the history of the team.  

Quote:Fred even though he has only one pro bowl deserves it. I'll take a prime Fred before injuries over any back in history.
I love Fred and is my favorite player ever, but you don't take Fred Taylor over Barry Sanders or a Bo Jackson pre injury
Quote:Tony is the reason we view our LT as not up to snuff.  He spoiled us.

Joeckel not being able to stop a bull-rush is why I view him as not up to snuff. Has nothing to do with Boselli.
Quote:I love Fred and is my favorite player ever, but you don't take Fred Taylor over Barry Sanders or a Bo Jackson pre injury

I'm gonna stay loyal to Fred here, and argue that he had way more power than Barry Sanders. I admittedly haven't seen enough of Bo Jackson to make a comparison.

Fred was the whole package. Size, speed, power, vision, and agility were all things that Fred mastered by the time he left here.

We probably won't see another RB of Fred's ability for many, many years, and I wouldn't be surprised if I never see another Jags RB as good as Fred was. This guy was THAT good.
I guess it depends on how you view the Hall of Fame. There must be balance between length of performance and quality of performance. While Boselli's career is likely shorter than most in the HoF, I believe his performance is better than most at the OL positions. I think they equal out, and they'll put him in there eventually if for no other reason than to throw a Jacksonville Jaguar in there. 

Quote:I love Fred and is my favorite player ever, but you don't take Fred Taylor over Barry Sanders or a Bo Jackson pre injury
Love Fred too, but yeah, there are a number of better running backs. Fred over Jim Brown? Umm, no.

And yeah, I think Boselli is probably deserving of the hall. He was just that good when he played.
I'd love to see Fred, Boselli, and Jimmy in, but I think none of them, unfortunately, are going to make. Tony unfortunately played a position with such little recognition for much too short. If he was a WR or RB and played at the same level that he did as an LT, he'd at least have the stats to back up his performance. But, as an LT, all you really have is his reputation as being great. But how do you measure "dominating" for an offensive lineman? Usually, its years being dominant. That's the one thing working against Tony, and unfortunately, generally the most important thing for offensive linemen in the Hall. I think that will be a major detriment to him getting in.

Fred, on the other hand, I think will just be shafted because he played in Jacksonville. It seems the two popular arguments I see for why he shouldn't make it are that he was injured too much to be Hall of Fame worthy or the only reason he amassed the stats that he did is because he played for so long. I bring these arguments up, not to spark debate about whether either is accurate, but to point out that really, they are fairly contradictory arguments (if he was always injured he shouldn't have been able to be on the field enough to just stat pad his way up the all-time rushing leaders, because, you know, he was always injured.). It just shows the level of disrespect Fred's facing as the popular arguments against him really don't hold water. They just sound more like bad attempts at rationalizing preconceived notions, and that will ultimately, most likely, keep him out. Sad

I don't think Jimmy really stands a chance at this point either. He retired 11th in all-time receiving yards, and as of now he's down to 19th. Plus, he's only 23 yards above Boldin and 200 ahead of Fitzgerald, so he could, and most likely will, be bumped out of the top 20 before the half-way point of next season. Receptions wise, he retired with the 8th most and is now down to 22nd. I think voters are going to look at how Jimmy compares to his contemporaries who have more receptions and yards than him (guys like Moss, T.O., Marvin, Bruce, Holt, and then to a lesser extent, Wayne, Andre, and Steve Smith) and just think he doesn't compare, even though Jimmy was killing it with McCardell stealing targets from him during his prime. But, unfortunately, that's the way the cookie crumbles for Jacksonville legends.

It sucks, but, I think we as fans are going to have to wait for the next crop of Jags legends to get a guy in the Hall. As much as I love all the older Jags who could make it in. Sad

It may be way down the line... But i think he will... There are alot of old school guys that get in from teams no matter the market or the team record... Eventually, real recognize real... Eventually being the key word... A franchise team was literally constructed around him... Not many people can say they lived up to the hype of being the first overall ever pick of a team... The guy made it to the probowl more times than not... Pretty impressive
Quote:Joeckel not being able to stop a bull-rush is why I view him as not up to snuff. Has nothing to do with Boselli.

I am talking about the transition at the position after Tony...

Kalif Barnes..   Good player not great

Eugene Monroe...  Better than good but not great

Luke currently serviceable but needs improvement

We got spoiled by a once in a generation player.
Pages: 1 2 3