Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sir Roger Moore, 007 #3, Passes Away at 89
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
RIP.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak'>Sky News Newsdesk<span>‏<span><span>Verified account</span></span> </span>@<b>SkyNewsBreak</b></a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/867007648461451264' title="9:21 AM - 23 May 2017">2m2 minutes ago</a>

<div> 
</div>

<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>

<p class="">The family of former James Bond star Sir Roger Moore says he has died aged 89 after suffering from cancer

Ahh...that sucks. RIP
RIP...say hello to my grandmother for me.

RIP....

I Guess Q Branch couldn't come up with something to save him this time

To St. Peter: "Bond. James Bond."
He was the "real" James Bond to me as he had the role when I was old enough to start watching the Bond movies in the 80's.  I know that's blasphemy to anyone that grew up with Connery, the original bond.  I grew to like pretty much all of the Bond's with the exception of maybe Pierce Brosnan though.

Anyway, RIP Roger Moore.

He was my favorite Bond. Just the right amount of tongue in cheek humor. Goodbye. RIP
Quote:He was the "real" James Bond to me as he had the role when I was old enough to start watching the Bond movies in the 80's.  I know that's blasphemy to anyone that grew up with Connery, the original bond.  I grew to like pretty much all of the Bond's with the exception of maybe Pierce Brosnan though.

Anyway, RIP Roger Moore.
I always thought Brosnan was saddled with some bad stories...specifically Tommorrow Never Dies.  Die Another Day represented a lot of blown opportunities, to say nothing of having the worst Bond theme in the whole series.

But Moore was my introduction to Bond.  As I aged, I grew to appreciate the other actors, but Moore to me is the guy against whom the others were compared.
Quote:I always thought Brosnan was saddled with some bad stories...specifically Tommorrow Never Dies.  Die Another Day represented a lot of blown opportunities, to say nothing of having the worst Bond theme in the whole series.

But Moore was my introduction to Bond.  As I aged, I grew to appreciate the other actors, but Moore to me is the guy against whom the others were compared.
Agreed.  He had gotten a little long in the tooth by the time A View To A Kill came out.  Even he said he felt uncomfortable trying to be a playboy in the movies at his advanced age.  The guy was almost 60 when the last of his movies came out, and I think that particular one was just awful (aside from Christopher Walken playing the bad guy.  Can't go wrong there.).

He played Bond with a sense of humor.  It got darker with subsequent actors, but he always seemed to have a good time in his movies.

I had a lot of hope for Brosnan, and I think he was a victim of some lousy story lines.  Dalton was actually a decent actor, but never really became Bond. 

I have the box set of all the movies leading up to Craig's version, and they're all great for their time.  Even Lazenby is not bad in his only effort.  I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond, but as an adult, I really grew to appreciate Connery for just how cool he was in the role.  Up until Craig took over the role, I considered him to be the best Bond, probably because they just held on to Roger Moore for too long and it got silly toward the end.

Craig really changed the direction of the franchise with his portrayal, and the movies became more realistic compared to past iterations.  Still, for sheer entertainment, the early Roger Moore flicks are great.
I think Roger Moore played Bond the longest, he was in 7 movies

Quote:Agreed.  He had gotten a little long in the tooth by the time A View To A Kill came out.  Even he said he felt uncomfortable trying to be a playboy in the movies at his advanced age.  The guy was almost 60 when the last of his movies came out, and I think that particular one was just awful (aside from Christopher Walken playing the bad guy.  Can't go wrong there.).

He played Bond with a sense of humor.  It got darker with subsequent actors, but he always seemed to have a good time in his movies.

I had a lot of hope for Brosnan, and I think he was a victim of some lousy story lines.  Dalton was actually a decent actor, but never really became Bond. 

I have the box set of all the movies leading up to Craig's version, and they're all great for their time.  Even Lazenby is not bad in his only effort.  I grew up with Roger Moore as Bond, but as an adult, I really grew to appreciate Connery for just how cool he was in the role.  Up until Craig took over the role, I considered him to be the best Bond, probably because they just held on to Roger Moore for too long and it got silly toward the end.

Craig really changed the direction of the franchise with his portrayal, and the movies became more realistic compared to past iterations.  Still, for sheer entertainment, the early Roger Moore flicks are great.
By the time a View to a Kill came out, Moore was finished.  The last Bond film he should have done was Octopussy. 

I think Dalton got two of the best scripts, but I agree people never really accepted him as Bond.  I liked him.

I think Craig's more closely resembles Connery's Bond than any other actor since Connery.  But after that first movie, the subsequent movies have been substandard to a large degree.  Spectre was most disappointing.  That had the potential to be an all time great Bond movie. 
Connery is 2 years younger than Roger Moore. Its crazy that they kept Moore on so long when he was old. He was okay. I actually liked Brosnen better than Craig, but the story lines were a bit weak after Goldeneye. Connery is the best IMO.

I also have grown to like Daniel Craig better, but I just don't like this reboot since he came on. It doesn't really feel like Bond anymore. All the classic stuff is gone. No first girl always dying, he always screws with the 'shaken not stirred' line. Hes become more politically correct and touchy feely. I just don't like all the messing around, so I haven't watched all the new ones he has made (hated the first one of Craig, and I have seen one or two more that were better, but it isn't like it was before). But the supporting actors really stand out quite a bit more now.

The last real Bond movie to me was Die Another Day, but it still wasn't a good film. It seems like they are trying to get back towards the classic feel of Bond with this last one, so maybe it will get better, but I will never be as interested as I was before.   

I, like others in this thread, grew up with Moore as Bond. RIP, Roger.
Shaken and stirred. I, too, liked him. Connery and Moore. The real double o's.
Never liked James Bond movies.. So I never seen the majority of them.

But I liked him in Cannonball Run..
Daniel Craig looks like a Russian mobster. He doesn't evoke James Bond to me, at all.

Quote:Connery is 2 years younger than Roger Moore. Its crazy that they kept Moore on so long when he was old. He was okay. I actually liked Brosnen better than Craig, but the story lines were a bit weak after Goldeneye. Connery is the best IMO.

I also have grown to like Daniel Craig better, but I just don't like this reboot since he came on. It doesn't really feel like Bond anymore. All the classic stuff is gone. No first girl always dying, he always screws with the 'shaken not stirred' line. Hes become more politically correct and touchy feely. I just don't like all the messing around, so I haven't watched all the new ones he has made (hated the first one of Craig, and I have seen one or two more that were better, but it isn't like it was before). But the supporting actors really stand out quite a bit more now.

The last real Bond movie to me was Die Another Day, but it still wasn't a good film. It seems like they are trying to get back towards the classic feel of Bond with this last one, so maybe it will get better, but I will never be as interested as I was before.   
As to the part in bold, I agree completely. 

I'm not talking about PC stuff.  But there is a distinct Bond movie feel I can't fully describe that has been notably absent since Goldeneye.

IIRC, Goldeneye was the last Fleming story, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I think the Broccolis not producing it had something to do with it too, but I may be mistaken.
Quote:As to the part in bold, I agree completely. 

I'm not talking about PC stuff.  But there is a distinct Bond movie feel I can't fully describe that has been notably absent since Goldeneye.

IIRC, Goldeneye was the last Fleming story, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I think the Broccolis not producing it had something to do with it too, but I may be mistaken.
Agree, I think saying its PC is kind of the wrong description. It just isn't Bond anymore. I agree changing the producers probably had something to do with it. I think that Goldeneye was the last good Bond for sure.

I think part of it is Bond used to be almost glamorous, there's almost none of that element any more even tho he still drives nice car. It got more gritty, dark, and less entertaining to me. Lost the escapism of the earlier ones. I just don't enjoy the new ones as much. Sure Bond seems more 'real' now, but I never wanted him to be. I was fine with how he was before.
Quote:Agree, I think saying its PC is kind of the wrong description. It just isn't Bond anymore. I agree changing the producers probably had something to do with it. I think that Goldeneye was the last good Bond for sure.

I think part of it is Bond used to be almost glamorous, there's almost none of that element any more even tho he still drives nice car. It got more gritty, dark, and less entertaining to me. Lost the escapism of the earlier ones. I just don't enjoy the new ones as much. Sure Bond seems more 'real' now, but I never wanted him to be. I was fine with how he was before.
I liked the World is Not Enough and the First Craig Bond.

But they had a different feel, not only in the portrayal of Bond but the whole presentation.

I think the grittier, darker feel is a reaction to the success of the Bourne series.