Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has Bortles improved the past 3 weeks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this. He's definitely turned down the TOs which is a good sign and his interceptions the past three weeks have been pretty much in garbage time, but there still seems to be a shield around the end zone and while he's come out in first halfs on fire, in the second half we fail to score any points. But I feel like that's a combination of the OLine falling to crumbles in the second half and Jedd Fisch being inept. Plus tons of dropped passes.
The not scoring is on playcalling not QB performance. I think he has gotten better at somethings but still needs some work on reading defenses and making quicker decisions.

He's shown some positives but he also reacted to phantom pressure which is a big negative and the first we've seen that from him.

He barely missed Lee in the end zone a couple times.
Quote:He's shown some positives but he also reacted to phantom pressure which is a big negative and the first we've seen that from him.

Any QB hit that many times will be affected
Quote:Any QB hit that many times will be affected

True...it's still a bad thing for the Jags.
Quote:He's shown some positives but he also reacted to phantom pressure which is a big negative and the first we've seen that from him.

Phantom pressure? I think Ravens were coming at him and he went down prematurely. It was not like he had a clean pocket.

We know Blake can do better than that. He has run for first downs when forced out of the pocket. But he needs help from the offensive line to take fewer sacks,
hard to improve when the OC shrinks the field by calling the majority of passing plays curls, slants, or screens that are all within 10 yards of the LOS

Quote:hard to improve when the OC shrinks the field by calling the majority of passing plays curls, slants, or screens that are all within 10 yards of the LOS

Quote:Phantom pressure? I think Ravens were coming at him and he went down prematurely. It was not like he had a clean pocket.

We know Blake can do better than that. He has run for first downs when forced out of the pocket. But he needs help from the offensive line to take fewer sacks,

I don't have the exact play memorized but I rewatched it last night.  He had a clean pocket and thought pressure was coming and ran for his life.  I think it was when he was flagged for passing beyond the LOS.  He made a good play out of it but ran when there wasn't pressure.
Quote:hard to improve when the OC shrinks the field by calling the majority of passing plays curls, slants, or screens that are all within 10 yards of the LOS
Yeah, Fisch should really think about stretching the field and sending the speed receivers deep.  It's not like there's any pressure forcing them to call quick plays to get the ball out or anything.  Bortles has all day to stand back there and let plays develop.  He's just not being allowed to do so because of that darned Jedd Fisch. 
Quote:I don't have the exact play memorized but I rewatched it last night.  He had a clean pocket and thought pressure was coming and ran for his life.  I think it was when he was flagged for passing beyond the LOS.  He made a good play out of it but ran when there wasn't pressure.
Bortles sacked himself at least a few times last week because he didn't step up in the pocket.  That's not on the OC as some here would love to portray it, but it's to be expected for a rookie who has taken the kind of beating he has this year.  Phantom pressure or not, it's hard to stand in there play after play only to get pounded into a skid mark. 

Has Bortles improved over the last 3 games?  If you count the reduced turnovers, yes.  I'm not really concerned about the last 3 games.  I'm interested in how he's improved during the course of the entire season, and we've seen improvement.  There are areas of concern with footwork, but there's no time to address that during the season.  He'll fix what he can once the off-season is here. 
so if Bortles sacked himself multiple times, why didn't that excuse fly when Henne played against Washington? It was all on the OL from a lot of guys in here. Now all of a sudden, it's on Bortles? How does this work?

And since some of you guys are saying that Bortles sacked himself a few times, does that mean that the line is adequate?

Quote:so if Bortles sacked himself multiple times, why didn't that excuse fly when Henne played against Washington? It was all on the OL from a lot of guys in here. Now all of a sudden, it's on Bortles? How does this work?

And since some of you guys are saying that Bortles sacked himself a few times, does that mean that the line is adequate?

I'm not one of those guys.  I'm not running around with pitchforks and torches saying we need to scrap the offensive line.  You'll have to direct those questions to the people who participate in that discussion.  There are multiple threads to pick from. 

The line needs work.  It's missing a starting RT right now, and the rookies are still rookies who will benefit from the experience, and then an off season to bulk up and improve.  That is the same for Joeckel, who still needs to get stronger.
thanks, FBT, i'd love to hear from someone who is in that boat.

Quote:thanks, FBT, i'd love to hear from someone who is in that boat.
Then find a thread where they are easy to find.  This one has nothing to do with the OL. 
you mentioned Bortles being sacked, which by default, will lead into OL talk.

Again, thanks bro.

Yes. The experience alone makes him a improved player. He is adding plays and wrinkles to his memory bank.

Bortles is the guy. Confident, big, makes plays, and has flashed greatness. We wanted him this year to sit because he wasn't technically sound. I'm glad he's taking his lumps as a rookie. Gives him more to focus on in the offseason and he will put in the work to propel him to a new level next year. The story would be different if this was a veteran-laden team and a horse for a running back instead of one stocked with rookies and second year players.

Quote:The not scoring is on playcalling not QB performance. I think he has gotten better at somethings but still needs some work on reading defenses and making quicker decisions.
Not to debate Fisch here since there's about 100 other threads doing just that, but Bortles was a little off on a couple of near touchdowns. How is that play calling? That's being inaccurate and probably due to what is a known issue, his footwork.
Quote:so if Bortles sacked himself multiple times, why didn't that excuse fly when Henne played against Washington? It was all on the OL from a lot of guys in here. Now all of a sudden, it's on Bortles? How does this work?

It was Luke Joeckel's second complete game on the left side, the second game as a Jaguar for Zane Beadles and the second NFL game for Brandon Linder and we had the wrong guys starting at center and right tackle. Different story now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5