Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How hard is it to attract a quality head coach to come to Jacksonville?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4713982&city=boston&src=desktop'>http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4713982&city=boston&src=desktop</a>

I was browsing this article about Bill O'Brian and was reminded of the fact that he was on our short list of HC candidates before we hired Mularkey. BOB chose to coach at Penn St, immediately after the Sandusky scandal, instead of here. Think about that for a second. 2 years later and we are potentially heading down the same fate as we were back then. Firing Bradley now only adds to how Jacksonville is viewed to the coaching world. Its like we're stuck in a limbo. Do we keep what we have and hope for the best or clean house and hire another mediocre option?
We're in a rebuild. We were told that the two years we just experienced weren't going to be pretty. Bradley gets a pass. If anything, we may lose a coordinator or two, but Bradley isn't going anywhere.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4713982&city=boston&src=desktop'>http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bostonnew-england-patriots&id=4713982&city=boston&src=desktop</a>

I was browsing this article about Bill O'Brian and was reminded of the fact that he was on our short list of HC candidates before we hired Mularkey. BOB chose to coach at Penn St, immediately after the Sandusky scandal, instead of here. Think about that for a second. 2 years later and we are potentially heading down the same fate as we were back then. Firing Bradley now only adds to how Jacksonville is viewed to the coaching world. Its like we're stuck in a limbo. Do we keep what we have and hope for the best or clean house and hire another mediocre option?

Not that he would have been better off coming to Jacksonville, but O'brian is going to likely regret taking the texans job in the future.

They're in the unenviable position of always being good enough to be second place and never good enough to spot the can't miss QB.

At this point he's praying the GM gets lucky and figures out who the next Russell Wilson is.

If he doesn't land that kind of QB he's going to have some seasons of around .500 records always being talked about as possible breakout contenders due to the quality of the roster while never managing to break through thanks to the quality of their QB.
I think the right money will have any coach here. 

Quote:I think the right money will have any coach here. 

Combined with a healthy dose of vainglory, perhaps.

If there is as much potential talent here as some of us would believe, then someone who thinks them self a good coach would in a heartbeat for the right amount of money. Our roster is young, not necessarily devoid of talent...at least that's how I see it. So, I would think that getting a quality coach, should the position suddenly become vacant, should not be that difficult all things considered.

Having said that, I don't see Gus going anywhere this off season. I could see Babich getting the axe and I pray Mallory does. That aside, the only thing I'm fairly certain of is hiring a new OL coach in the event Yarno cannot eventually return.
Quote:I think the right money will have any coach here.

Not true at all. Stephen Ross (Dolphins owner) was prepared to make Harbaugh the highest paid coach in the history of the league and he chose the 49ers instead for 2-3 mil less. There are always other factors that come into play besides money.
Quote:Not true at all. Stephen Ross (Dolphins owner) was prepared to make Harbaugh the highest paid coach in the history of the league and he chose the 49ers instead for 2-3 mil less. There are always other factors that come into play besides money.
I look at it like this:  There are only 32 of these jobs available and maybe 4-5 come open on an average year.  There's usually at least one retread somewhere in there to go along with the latest hotshot coordinator and the college coach that wants to see if his system will work in the big boy league.  I think more often than not, these owners are gambling with the head coach position.  Sometimes you find gold but most of the time you find fool's gold.  I've noticed over the last few seasons that the head coach contracts are getting shorter.  They know it and so do we, as fans.  Things just need to line up right, the right players in the right system with a few lucky breaks thrown in.  Sometimes you get a good one but most often you don't.  If a guy is a hot enough property, he might be able to choose his destination, most newbies like Bradley take what they can get.
Coaches of quality come when there's talent......we had none.....hence it's easier to get someone who is willing to teach and suffer through losing early with potentially future success, as opposed to someone coming expecting a quick fix
Quote:Coaches of quality come when there's talent......we had none.....hence it's easier to get someone who is willing to teach and suffer through losing early with potentially future success, as opposed to someone coming expecting a quick fix
This is true.  These guys have huge egos and want to win right out of the gate.  If you had a choice between Chad Henne or Philip Rivers, where are you going to go?  Decisions, decisions.
Quote:Coaches of quality come when there's talent......we had none.....hence it's easier to get someone who is willing to teach and suffer through losing early with potentially future success, as opposed to someone coming expecting a quick fix

This.  The reason we don't get good coaches isn't because of us firing coaches, lol...  That's just really bad logic.

Every team fires coaches.  

Matter of fact, the OP's thoughts that we are quick to fire coaches just doesn't hold up...  Since 95 we've had 4 coaches...  That's pretty darn stable.

The problem we've had is that our former owner was cheap.  Sorry, but that's just the fact.  On top of that, our talent was also very weak.

We now have a solid core of WRs, a QB that has real potential, and a D that is a couple pieces away from being legit.  This team is ready to be a contender with the right coaching on offense and possibly a HC that may be a bit better at understanding football at a depth level Bradley doesn't appear to grasp yet.

I don't think we should fear firing the coaching staff just because we fear we will have a reputation of firing coaches.  We aren't the Raiders for crying out loud.  

Also, the 49ers had a huge coaching carosell before landing Harbaugh, which finally turned that franchise around.  It's important to get the right coach.  And when you realize you don't have the right coach, it's important to move on quickly and not waste time.
Basically Bradley has one more year to get 6/7 wins.

We are very cheap when it comes to our coaching selection.  Chip Kelley is making $7.5m ---- our guy makes less than half that amount.
Quote:This. The reason we don't get good coaches isn't because of us firing coaches, lol... That's just really bad logic.

Every team fires coaches.

Matter of fact, the OP's thoughts that we are quick to fire coaches just doesn't hold up... Since 95 we've had 4 coaches... That's pretty darn stable.

The problem we've had is that our former owner was cheap. Sorry, but that's just the fact. On top of that, our talent was also very weak.

We now have a solid core of WRs, a QB that has real potential, and a D that is a couple pieces away from being legit. This team is ready to be a contender with the right coaching on offense and possibly a HC that may be a bit better at understanding football at a depth level Bradley doesn't appear to grasp yet.

I don't think we should fear firing the coaching staff just because we fear we will have a reputation of firing coaches. We aren't the Raiders for crying out loud.

Also, the 49ers had a huge coaching carosell before landing Harbaugh, which finally turned that franchise around. It's important to get the right coach. And when you realize you don't have the right coach, it's important to move on quickly and not waste time.

I think you missed the main part of my OP. It isn't about being scared to fire coaches, its the stigma of "Jacksonville sucks". "I would rather go coach at a college program that will lose all of its scholarships and recruits than to coach for Jacksonville." My point is that sure we can fire Bradley, Mularkey, JDR and whoever else but until that stigma changes we are stuck with Bradley, Mularkey, and JDR level coaches.
There are 32 jobs in the NFL. It's not difficult to attract quality regardless of the market.
Quote:I think you missed the main part of my OP. It isn't about being scared to fire coaches, its the stigma of "Jacksonville sucks". "I would rather go coach at a college program that will lose all of its scholarships and recruits than to coach for Jacksonville." My point is that sure we can fire Bradley, Mularkey, JDR and whoever else but until that stigma changes we are stuck with Bradley, Mularkey, and JDR level coaches.

Oh, gotcha.  Sorry about that!

Well, I think that the stigma we had has been changed a bit since our new owner took over. 

On top of that, we've acquired some talent that makes our team much more attractive than when JDR or even Mularkey left.

The talent is there, a few gaps need to be filled, and the O-Line must be overhauled, but I think the Jaguars' reputation has shifted from 3 years ago to today.  We  won't land a former NFL coach that works for ESPN, because those guys are all lazy.

But I think among the coaches that are still working, and have not be indoctrinated by the ESPN mothership, we don't have the perception that we had a few years ago.  
Quote:There are 32 jobs in the NFL. It's not difficult to attract quality regardless of the market.

There's only a handful of quality head coaches available and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. If that wasn't the case all 32 teams would have a top notch coaching staff and we know that's not true.
Quote:Oh, gotcha. Sorry about that!

Well, I think that the stigma we had has been changed a bit since our new owner took over.

On top of that, we've acquired some talent that makes our team much more attractive than when JDR or even Mularkey left.

The talent is there, a few gaps need to be filled, and the O-Line must be overhauled, but I think the Jaguars' reputation has shifted from 3 years ago to today. We won't land a former NFL coach that works for ESPN, because those guys are all lazy.

But I think among the coaches that are still working, and have not be indoctrinated by the ESPN mothership, we don't have the perception that we had a few years ago.
I don't think the stigma has changed at all. You can hear it from players around the league. Just going back to last year here are a few comments:

Delanie Walker of the Titans:

Quote:"Talking about first place? Talking about first place? We just got whooped by the Jaguars," he said. "We ain't talking first place no more. It's out the window. We've got to come back and play the Colts. I don't know how everybody's gonna handle it. I mean, we lost to the Jaguars."

This same stigma puts us at a disadvantage when it comes to coaching hires and FA player acquisitions.
Jacksonville may be a little more attractive now that we have a potential franchise QB and more than capable defense
You guys hate Bradley dont you? smh

There is more than a handful of quality coaches.  You just need to select the right one.   For instance Pete Carroll was a risk after failing in the NFL the 1st time.  He's a high quality coach now. 

I agree Gus needs another year.  He was dealt a bad hand when it comes to experience on the offensive side of the ball.

Pages: 1 2