Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Circling back to Ryan O's ludicrous article from last week......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
.....I just want to say that if we don't go heavy on the OL this off-season, I'll lose all faith in Gus, Caldwell, humanity, etc.  By  "heavy", I mean we bring in at least three solid potential starters via either FA or draft.  Ryan O saying that, oh well, we're pretty much going to have the same OL next year as this year just can't be true.  I mean, it can't.

Yes, we need a FS, yes we need an impact LB, yes, we need an impact RB.........but, it's absolutely clear to me that this team probably wins half the games it plays if it just simply has a serviceable offensive line.  Right now, our line is far from "serviceable".  It's deplorable.  And, yes, I get the "they're kids, let them develop" theme.......but, we need to add some urgency to that "development" by bringing in real, honest-to-god players to compete at every position up and down the line.  And, yes, that includes our supposed franchise LT's position.  Hey, if he loses the battle, whatever, he's on a rookie contract.  

Yeah, I said this in another thread, if Caldwell stands pat on the offensive line or just plugs in a new RT that will get him fired. No way you can trot out the same guys torpedoing the offense and just assume they'll do better next year. 

Competition across the whole line wouldn't be a bad thing at all. The way our line is, no one should feel 'safe.'

Tony Khans Excel Spreadsheet of metrics is corrupt now.
Quote:Competition across the whole line wouldn't be a bad thing at all. The way our line is, no one should feel 'safe.'

Do you have faith in the judges of this competition? That is the real question.
Everyone keeps talking about a RT.  Don't we really need a LT and move Joekel to RT.  Should probably look into drafting a Center in the mid rounds.

Quote:Tony Khans Excel Spreadsheet of metrics is corrupt now.
I think someone may have hacked his spreadsheet. 
Khan's spreadsheet below:

14 -12 = 2 wins

Quote:Do you have faith in the judges of this competition? That is the real question.

Yes. Things like benching a third round pick because a 7th rounder is playing better makes it pretty obvious they are going to field the best talent they can. Colvin is going to be a star and that's a player they coveted. Acquiring players like Ball and Marks for peanuts are other great examples. I could go on.
Did the line play great yesterday? Absolutely not.... But some of those sacks were on Blake. There was a play to start the 4th quarter where if Blake had anticipated the double move by Lee, he could have hit him for a HUGE play. He held on to the ball and took a sack.

Bortles has decided to convert some of those ints into sacks. We now say he holds the ball to long but id rather him take a sack with the mentality that we can make it up or find a big play vs forcing a pressured pass into coverage.

Which do you want ints or sacks? With this line and WR group you gotta choose. Blake has chosen sacks. Upgrade the line.
Quote:Did the line play great yesterday? Absolutely not.... But some of those sacks were on Blake. There was a play to start the 4th quarter where if Blake had anticipated the double move by Lee, he could have hit him for a HUGE play. He held on to the ball and took a sack.

I agree with that.  Blake also ducked away from phantom pressure and took a sack when he had plenty of time. 

That said, I agree with the OP that with a decent (not great, just decent) offensive line, we would have a LOT more wins.    And I would add that if they stand pat with the same guys they HOPE will develop, they are risking the career of their young franchise QB.   Because they might not develop. 

We need to bring in HEAVY competition at all offensive line positions.   Let the best man win.  If our young guys develop, great.   If not, then let's find out on preseason and put the best group on the field the first game of the season. 

>>AND... find an offensive line coach.   Yarno has been out battling cancer all year and we have been using our backup offensive line coach.  <<<

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:Did the line play great yesterday? Absolutely not.... But some of those sacks were on Blake. There was a play to start the 4th quarter where if Blake had anticipated the double move by Lee, he could have hit him for a HUGE play. He held on to the ball and took a sack.

Some of those sacks also looked like they were on the scheme too. How many times did we see someone completely unblocked as the play was starting yesterday?? I doubt an OL of 5 pro bowl level starters would have been able to block well using this scheme. 
Quote:.....I just want to say that if we don't go heavy on the OL this off-season, I'll lose all faith in Gus, Caldwell, humanity, etc.  By  "heavy", I mean we bring in at least three solid potential starters via either FA or draft.  Ryan O saying that, oh well, we're pretty much going to have the same OL next year as this year just can't be true.  I mean, it can't.

Yes, we need a FS, yes we need an impact LB, yes, we need an impact RB.........but, it's absolutely clear to me that this team probably wins half the games it plays if it just simply has a serviceable offensive line.  Right now, our line is far from "serviceable".  It's deplorable.  And, yes, I get the "they're kids, let them develop" theme.......but, we need to add some urgency to that "development" by bringing in real, honest-to-god players to compete at every position up and down the line.  And, yes, that includes our supposed franchise LT's position.  Hey, if he loses the battle, whatever, he's on a rookie contract.  

"Honest-to-god players"?  I guess the ones we have are liars?!?
This is going to boil down to how much of an ego our GM has.

What if O'Halloran is wrong?

Quote:What if O'Halloran is wrong?

then he will still talk about how the GM made the right move in finding upgrades

Depressingly, the message from the Jaguars website this morning seems to be that the OLine wasn't that bad. And the sacks were largely Bortles fault (completely glossing over the pressure Bortles is under every play, because his OLine isn't giving him a chance to make plays).

There was an admission from John O that there may be one new player, but the official message seems to be that they are largely sticking with what they have.

After last nights game i watched the Cowboys game. Romo was having ages to pick out his throws and to go deep, because he has a good offensive line. Ok, that takes time, but it is something to aim for. Making do with what we have is not going to work.
Quote:Depressingly, the message from the Jaguars website this morning seems to be that the OLine wasn't that bad. And the sacks were largely Bortles fault (completely glossing over the pressure Bortles is under every play, because his OLine isn't giving him a chance to make plays).

There was an admission from John O that there may be one new player, but the official message seems to be that they are largely sticking with what they have.

After last nights game i watched the Cowboys game. Romo was having ages to pick out his throws and to go deep, because he has a good offensive line. Ok, that takes time, but it is something to aim for. Making do with what we have is not going to work.

Right tackle is the clear weakest link on this team and probably the one position to get an expensive upgrade in free agency. If Joeckel were anything other than a former top 5 pick, he might get replaced as well.

One key addition will be a new offensive line coach. Maybe that will have an impact. I don't know.
Quote:Depressingly, the message from the Jaguars website this morning seems to be that the OLine wasn't that bad. And the sacks were largely Bortles fault (completely glossing over the pressure Bortles is under every play, because his OLine isn't giving him a chance to make plays).

They multiple high picks invested on the line. Go figure.

I would say that John O doesn't really know what the team is going to do, but he's obviously trying to condition the fans to think staying with what we have is OK.

Pages: 1 2