Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Former Buffalo Bills cheerleader tells how she was 'treated like a piece of meat'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Former Buffalo Bills cheerleader tells how she was 'treated like a piece of meat', forced to sit on men's laps and paid $420 for 800 hours' work 
<ul class="">[*]Alyssa U, 23, says she was 'treated like a piece of meat' by supervisors
[*]Allegedly forced to pay $650 for uniform and adhere to strict set of rules
[*]At charity event, she was 'auctioned off and made to sit on mens' laps'
[*]And she was required to take undertake 'jiggle tests' to measure fitness 
[*]In May, Alyssa, teammate Maria and three others sued the Buffalo Bills
[*]They say they were paid barely anything for hundreds of hours of work 
[*]Civil action seeks unspecified back pay and legal fees; case continues
</ul>
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z3LsHwuveo

I don't understand the problem.. 

Quote:I don't understand the problem.. 
Hiring someone, requiring them to do lots of work and then not paying them is a pretty serious problem. As in, federal offense problem. 
Quote:Hiring someone, requiring them to do lots of work and then not paying them is a pretty serious problem. As in, federal offense problem.

The question remains..
I guess nobody told her that she didn't have to do it, right? :whistling:

Quote:I don't understand the problem..

Now that's funny! Lol
Quote:Hiring someone, requiring them to do lots of work and then not paying them is a pretty serious problem. As in, federal offense problem. 

I'm sure the work load is specified in their contracts.  Those positions are essentially (although not quite) volunteer positions. Think of the Champion's Club.  If they don't want to do it, they can certainly choose not to.

Quote:I'm sure the work load is specified in their contracts.  Those positions are essentially (although not quite) volunteer positions. Think of the Champion's Club.  If they don't want to do it, they can certainly choose not to.
Except you can't force a volunteer to spend money on their outfit or major travel expenses. 
Oh yes you can. In fact, the volunteers who work at the Player's Championship must buy their own shirts and hats.

Regards.................the Chiefjag

Quote:Except you can't force a volunteer to spend money on their outfit or major travel expenses. 

Other occupations do it.  She certainly had the choice but in any case, I'd bet there's more to the story than it appears.
Volunteering with an organization and then suing them when they don't pay you is the new scam
Quote:Volunteering with an organization and then suing them when they don't pay you is the new scam

As soon as the team paid them anything, even unfair wages, they no longer could be classified as volunteers.
Quote:As soon as the team paid them anything, even unfair wages, they no longer could be classified as volunteers.

I don't know exactly what the contract says, but my bet is it's not legally defined as a salary.  It's probably more like an honorarium.
Quote:I don't know exactly what the contract says, but my bet is it's not legally defined as a salary. It's probably more like an honorarium.

I'm sure the team covered their butts six ways from Sunday too.
Quote:I'm sure the team covered their butts six ways from Subday too.

Nope, some of those skirts are pretty short!
My cousin was a roar cheerleader for her 5 years( thats all the nfl allows you to stay at one team) and they arepayed next to nothing... I always argue with her though, shes like -they get barely anything and put in countless hours and there are risks at the job blah blah blah, to which i reply, you do realize nothing in the nfl would change at all if cheerleaders were not there.
Quote: you do realize nothing in the nfl would change at all if cheerleaders were not there.
You do realize that's not the point?
Quote:You do realize that's not the point?
cool
The volunteer question was in response to DragonFury who claimed "you can't force a volunteer to spend money on their outfit"

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:You do realize that's not the point?

No the point is that she continued to do it for five years.  She tried out five years in a row and wanted to be on the team.  

After all is said and done the cheerleaders know what they are getting into.  If they don't want to do it, dont try out.
Pages: 1 2