Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: One of Many Reasons the tacks Suck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...se-health/
The article has a good point.

And it's the same reason we suck too.
Quote:The article has a good point.

Reading that article, I suddenly felt the "glass-house" around me. Hopefully Bortles signals the start of massive renovations. 

Quote:Reading that article, I suddenly felt the "glass-house" around me. Hopefully Bortles signals the start of massive renovations. 

That's because the noted pattern of behavior is symptomatic, not generative.

Bad teams with bad management spend a lot of time running through bad QBs because they can't identify the good ones.

Like you said, NYC4, hopefully Bortles marks the paradigm shift where the Jaguars can finally exit this loop.
Quote:That's because the noted pattern of behavior is symptomatic, not generative.

Bad teams with bad management spend a lot of time running through bad QBs because they can't identify the good ones.

Like you said, NYC4, hopefully Bortles marks the paradigm shift where the Jaguars can finally exit this loop.

All true.

I think the paradigm shift might have it's earliest roots with the Caldwell hire, and Bortles may be the catalyst to spark the real change. 
Quote:That's because the noted pattern of behavior is symptomatic, not generative.

I think you are underselling the amount of luck (or happenstance, or whatever word you chose) that is involved.

We're dealing with humans and we put them in situations with a thousand variables.

Was it due to bad management that no one drafted Brady high? Was it bad management that had Favre sitting on another team's roster not being used? Was it bad management among 32 teams that has Tony Romo not drafted?

Every year yoiu can try to guess which QBs will make it - and you'll be wrong on about half of them.

We all hope Bortles is the one. But it's only hope. And whether he is the one doesn't just have to do with Bortles. Sometimes the stars have to be aligned correctly.
Quote:I think you are underselling the amount of luck (or happenstance, or whatever word you chose) that is involved.

We're dealing with humans and we put them in situations with a thousand variables.

Was it due to bad management that no one drafted Brady high? Was it bad management that had Favre sitting on another team's roster not being used? Was it bad management among 32 teams that has Tony Romo not drafted?

Every year yoiu can try to guess which QBs will make it - and you'll be wrong on about half of them.

We all hope Bortles is the one. But it's only hope. And whether he is the one doesn't just have to do with Bortles. Sometimes the stars have to be aligned correctly.

Sometimes it's bad management, and sometimes it's just not easy to project guys to the NFL level.

It was bad management that caused 11 teams to pass on Roethlisberger, 23 teams to pass on Rodgers, and 17 teams to pass on Flacco.

In Brady's case, he was more like Russell Wilson, a guy that some scout thought could project, but that the management didn't have enough belief in to take them high.

You're right that you'll be wrong about a lot of QBs, but we're not getting paid millions of dollars a year to do nothing but watch college game tape and pick the best player. We're not in a position to make the kind of picks that an NFL GM is supposed to be able to make.
Quote:Sometimes it's bad management, and sometimes it's just not easy to project guys to the NFL level.

It was bad management that caused 11 teams to pass on Roethlisberger, 23 teams to pass on Rodgers, and 17 teams to pass on Flacco.

In Brady's case, he was more like Russell Wilson, a guy that some scout thought could project, but that the management didn't have enough belief in to take them high.

You're right that you'll be wrong about a lot of QBs, but we're not getting paid millions of dollars a year to do nothing but watch college game tape and pick the best player. We're not in a position to make the kind of picks that an NFL GM is supposed to be able to make.

I sometimes think they could throw names in a hat and stand as good a chance of being right. The scouts and personnel guys would be in charge of who gets to have their name in the hat.

Football more than any other sport has the most variables to prevent high accuracy regarding future performance. And even if you get it right an injury at any time can negate everything.

That's why I consider the ability to judge coaching iffy at best. Luck plays an enormous part in who we consider "good" and "bad". The people who come on here and make a declarative statement regarding coaching are only kidding themselves. Hard to take too seriously.

One of Many Reasons we both Suck

No it's not. We are simply going through growing pains, not paying musical chairs at quarterback.
Speaking of Brady, wasn't he really just average in college? He didn't have anything that set him apart. The one thing I guess that all the teams missed on was his competitiveness.

Quote:Speaking of Brady, wasn't he really just average in college? He didn't have anything that set him apart. The one thing I guess that all the teams missed on was his competitiveness.

Brady had some really good numbers in his Junior and Senior seasons. He even led the Big Ten in passing percentage and efficiency.

Suffice to say, folks just flat out missed on the guy.
Quote:Speaking of Brady, wasn't he really just average in college? He didn't have anything that set him apart. The one thing I guess that all the teams missed on was his competitiveness.

He had success, it was his measurables that dropped him in the draft. He wasn't a physical specimen in any way and his arm strength was thought to be suspect.

Michigan was a good team back then - at least better than when Denard Robinson was there. But I don't know what you would call average.
Quote:No it's not. We are simply going through growing pains, not paying musical chairs at quarterback.

Unless Bortles improves, then we really are playing musical chairs at QB.

Leftwich, Garrard, McCown, Gabbert, Henne, Bortles,............Mariota?

Could happen.
Quote:Unless Bortles improves, then we really are playing musical chairs at QB.

Could happen.

David Caldwell knew what he was getting: a developmental quarterback who needs to sit for a year. The first two and a half games ruined that plan, so we are seeing Blake Bortles take his lumps. He is a rookie so we can't give up on him and say he sucks.

Also, we did not suck with Leftwich and Garrard.

Quote:Unless Bortles improves, then we really are playing musical chairs at QB.

Could happen.
The odds of that happening are about the same as Rosie O'Donnel marrying a dude. 
lol @ analysts projecting Cutler to Titans
Quote:David Caldwell knew what he was getting: a developmental quarterback who needs to sit for a year. The first two and a half games ruined that plan, so we are seeing Blake Bortles take his lumps. He is a rookie so we can't give up on him and say he sucks.

Also, we did not suck with Leftwich and Garrard.
We didn't suck with Leftwich, but we passed on Roethlisberger because we were grooming our QB of the future.

We didn't suck with Garrard, but we passed on Rodgers because we had our franchise QB.

I really don't know if Mariota's as good as either, but I am saying we should take a good, long look before we mess up yet again.

BTW, you'd never know Leftwich/Garrard didn't suck from the comments around here.