Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lets talk about Frank Frangie (and how terrible he is at his job as play by play man)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have tried.

I didn't understand the hire when it was made.

I listened during the preseason and thought he was terrible.

Was driving during the Chargers game and nearly turned it off because it was so bad.

I wanted to think it would get better.

It has not.

I hope the team knows how just brutally bad he is and ends this experiment after one year.

I was not a huge fan of Sexton and had problem with replacing him. But an improvement would have been nice. This is like going from eating at Chili's to eating a Banquet TV dinner.

Keep in mind this is relatively speaking, but I think he's improved.  A little.

That's about the only thing good I can say about it.

"Bortles in shotgun, Hurns and Lee to his left, Shorts to his right. Balls snapped! Steps to left buys some time, throws down the field to a wide op-ERRREEERRHHURRHRHRHRHRHEJEJDJENDJDJDJDJDJDJDNDJDDJD n dats gon be................................touchdown! How'd ya like that!?!?!"

He's terrible.
Quote:"Bortles in shotgun, Hurns and Lee to his left, Shorts to his right. Balls snapped! Steps to left buys some time, throws down the field to a wide op-ERRREEERRHHURRHRHRHRHRHEJEJDJENDJDJDJDJDJDJDNDJDDJD n dats gon be................................touchdown! How'd ya like that!?!?!"

He's terrible.
This is it - to a "T"...
Quote:"Bortles in shotgun, Hurns and Lee to his left, Shorts to his right. Balls snapped! Steps to left buys some time, throws down the field to a wide op-ERRREEERRHHURRHRHRHRHRHEJEJDJENDJDJDJDJDJDJDNDJDDJD n dats gon be................................touchdown! How'd ya like that!?!?!"

He's terrible.
I remember Sexton was mostly "hand off to MJD, sidesteps a tackle, spins out of another, might have some daylight, he could go all the way... and tackled for a 2 yard gain." But at least you could understand what the hell he was saying. 
Quote:I remember Sexton was mostly "hand off to MJD, sidesteps a tackle, spins out of another, might have some daylight, he could go all the way... and tackled for a 2 yard gain." But at least you could understand what the hell he was saying.
Sexton got some sort of a weird growl in his voice in his later years...truly painful on the ears
Awkward. Fake. Terrible.

Frangie is a combo of all three.

His phony excitement is the worst.
Yes, he is THAT bad.

I hold no ill will toward the man personally. But hearing him on the airways makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with the nearest screwdriver.

Yea it's brutal.  Even though I dont live locally at the moment, I have sirius in my truck and get the games.  So when Im out on sunday, I'll tune to the local jags coverage.  You never have any idea whats going on during the play.  It's almost as though Frangie thinks he is on TV and the audience can see the action on the field.  You only get half the story listening to him.  It's like a book on tape where they cut out every other sentence.

"Blakes steps back.... there's a man... avoids him....     throws.... i think its caught....... yes he did catch it.......  Hurns got it.....     what do you think Tony"      

!??!  Who was the man?  an open WR or a pass rusher?  Oh, he avoids him, must be a pass rusher.  did Bortles throw it deep?  20 yards down the field?  underneath?  behind the line of scrimmage?  ok somebody may have caught it.  who was it?  first down?  was he tackled immediately?  

What he should say is "Blake steps back to pass, sidesteps Watt and is moving to his left, throws it underneath to Hurns along the sideline just short of the sticks, Hurns bobbles it but I think he caught it as he falls out of bounds... yes he did catch it... the referee is signaling a catch.  Looks to be 2nd and 2."

He has got to give more information.  

Quote:Keep in mind this is relatively speaking, but I think he's improved.  A little.

That's about the only thing good I can say about it.

Yeah, I said this myself recently.  He has gotten a little bit better but like you imply, he's still not very good.  I wonder who they'd bring in as a replacement, assuming they do replace him next year.
Quote:I have tried.

I didn't understand the hire when it was made.

I listened during the preseason and thought he was terrible.

Was driving during the Chargers game and nearly turned it off because it was so bad.

I wanted to think it would get better.

It has not.

I hope the team knows how just brutally bad he is and ends this experiment after one year.

I was not a huge fan of Sexton and had problem with replacing him. But an improvement would have been nice. This is like going from eating at Chili's to eating a Banquet TV dinner.

Frangie isn't that good, I agree. But Sexton was awful too. I applaud the attempt to try and upgrade however it didn't work.

I feel that people hear Frangie and their answer is "lets go back to Sexton" when thats not the answer to the problem, either. 

Quote: 

Thats a trait both Sexton/ Frangie have/ had. 
I think it was all in the deal with the new radio station... FF was the only guy who had any PBP experience on some low level college network that was probably only carried by a half a dozen stations...  There are so many really good football PBP guys and some gals out there but they settled for the local voice...  It would take a huge effort for them to bother with a change... The sad thing is the NFL local radio calls are used by NFL Films so it does give outsiders an view of the team through its radio calls...  FF's TD calls are embarrassing and are sometimes mocked by outsiders...  Especially when he expresses surprise when Jags score a TD..

I could always either take or leave Sexton and I've only heard bits of Frangie, but the little I've heard has been pretty bad.  Definitely not an improvement. 
The worst part is watching video highlights. One moment you get a clip from the national broadcast and it sounds great...then you get Frangie on the next play and its pathetic.

As if the auto-loading videos on Jaguars.com aren't annoying enough, the first clip is of Frangie going "Manning straight drops. Hes hit (only it actually sounds like the 's' is part of the 2nd word) the ballf if out! the balf if out!"

Amateur hour.

Sign Tebow!

I really only hear Frangie in highlight packages/review of the game, but good lord is he bad. I always liked Sexton, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I was fine with him. Frangie just sounds like a guy who doesn't really know what he's supposed to be doing.

"THE BALL'S ON THE FIELD, THE BALL'S ON THE FIELD, THE BALL'S ON THE FIELD! THE BALL'S ON THE FIELD!"

Ok, how/why/who has it?

"And it's recovered."

Well, thanks for clearing that one up for me. :thumbsup:

Could be worse though; could be Mike Goldberg I guess.

Quote:Awkward. Fake. Terrible.

Frangie is a combo of all three.

That I agree with.   The best word I can use to describe Frangie is phony.   He's acting.  

But I understand why they hired him.  He has the afternoon drive time radio show, so by hiring him, they were basically buying the local media.   He's on the payroll now, so we get more positive coverage.  They also bought Ballou at the same time.   And Mike Dempsey- they gave him a 2 hour show with a studio in the stadium.    Lamping  and his staff are pretty smart.  They know how to sell tickets, and that includes getting positive coverage from the local media. 

Just from the bits I've heard from the highlights on the site I can tell you I would rather listen to Gilbert Gottfried do the play by play. 

he bad

Pages: 1 2 3