Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How much are "The Roar" paid?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A feature piece in today's NY Times exposed a lawsuit by the Buffalo Bills cheerleaders (the Jills) about lack of pay and bad working conditions...  It made me wonder what The Roar are paid and how???   I know it is a part time job for them and they only work 9 home games a season plus other non-game appearances..  They also the swimsuit calender they sell..

They all have other jobs which is highlighted....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/sports...tml?src=me

D

Cheerleaders are paid for each game based on years of experience, with rookies earning less than $100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Roar

I remember an article written several years ago which claimed they made around $15 per game. It's the exposure (pun intended) which attracts them to become cheerleaders.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Quote:A feature piece in today's NY Times exposed a lawsuit by the Buffalo Bills cheerleaders (the Jills) about lack of pay and bad working conditions...  It made me wonder what The Roar are paid and how???   I know it is a part time job for them and they only work 7 games a season plus other non-game appearances..  They also the swimsuit calender they sell..

They all have other jobs which is highlighted....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/sports...tml?src=me

D
The Roar works all ten games. Though getting to fly to London for free once a year is hardly work. 
Quote:I remember an article written several years ago which claimed they made around $15 per game. It's the exposure (pun intended) which attracts them to become cheerleaders.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

I remember hearing the same for the cheerleaders for the Amsterdam Admirals. Most were dance instructors who were allowed to advertise the fact they were "professional cheerleaders". At the beginning of the season they had to hand over a substantial amount of money which they could earn back performing at games as well as making appearances at charity or promo events. I recall reading the Dutch FHM when they featured some Admirals cheerleaders and one of the girls talking about her "personal gardening". She was quietly dropped from the squad soon after.
They make decent money for promotional appearances when hired by a third party for an event. 

That said - the teams/league should compensate them better.  

I'm not sexist by any means, and feel strongly about equality for women in the workplace, 

(i.e.- I beat up a guy for grabbing my GF's butt years ago when she was a cocktail waitress)

BUT  - they absolutely know what they are getting into when they audition for these squads.  This stuff has been widely publicized for years. 

Most of them do it for a year or two to try and bolster/jumpstart a modeling career or pad the resume' as a dance instructor or choreographer. 

Quote:I'm not sexist by any means, and feel strongly about equality for women in the workplace, 

(i.e.- I beat up a guy for grabbing my GF's butt years ago when she was a cocktail waitress)

Dang NYC! I didn't know you were the type!
Quote:Dang NYC! I didn't know you were the type!

Haha. I'm not.  He had it coming.  It wasn't the first time and he started calling her some rather despicable names when the manager attempted to remove him from the premises.  Figured I'd "help." 

Quote:Haha. I'm not.  He had it coming.  It wasn't the first time and he started calling her some rather despicable names when the manager attempted to remove him from the premises.  Figured I'd "help." 

Good for you for regulating haha.

There isn't anything more annoying than that type of drunk.
Quote: 

There isn't anything more annoying than that type of drunk.

True, and I'd wager that these cheerleaders know the type very well from first-hand experience. 

I always thought nobody else would ask about this. Something else I always wondered is why don't they go to away games, because college cheerleaders and mascots do even when the band doesn't.

They should get paid more. It's not like they show up on Sunday's and that's all they do. Ever watch that Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader show? Those girls practice a whole hell of a lot to get those routines down. Just because it might lead to bigger and better things for them doesn't mean they shouldn't get paid a fair wage. The NFL makes millions...the girls shouldn't be skimped on just because they're seen as "fluff"!
Quote:They should get paid more. It's not like they show up on Sunday's and that's all they do. Ever watch that Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader show? Those girls practice a whole hell of a lot to get those routines down. Just because it might lead to bigger and better things for them doesn't mean they shouldn't get paid a fair wage. The NFL makes millions...the girls shouldn't be skimped on just because they're seen as "fluff"!

The Cowboys cheerleaders are probably the most famous girls in the NFL. How often do we hear about the Cowboys having awesome cheerleaders? People who say that are not always Cowboys fans. So it was natural that they would do the Thanksgiving Day halftime show. They probably are the highest paid cheerleaders in the NFL because of it.
The most famous single cheerleader in the NFL in from the Roar.
Quote:The most famous single cheerleader in the NFL is from the Roar.

Tony Boselli's wife?
Quote:There isn't anything more annoying than that type of drunk.

You haven't met me yet....
Quote:You haven't met me yet....

This
Quote:The Cowboys cheerleaders are probably the most famous girls in the NFL. How often do we hear about the Cowboys having awesome cheerleaders? People who say that are not always Cowboys fans. So it was natural that they would do the Thanksgiving Day halftime show. They probably are the highest paid cheerleaders in the NFL because of it.

I know they are the most famous NFL cheerleaders, that doesn't change the fact that the rest of them don't practice just as hard to get their dance routines down. They don't just show up and start shaking their pom poms without ever doing any practice.
Quote:The most famous single cheerleader in the NFL in from the Roar.
Then there's the most infamous former cheerleader:

http://www.mstarz.com/articles/41184/201...candal.htm

(the fifteen year-old boy in the story later died from subsequent related injuries.  He was high-fived to death by classmates)
Quote:Then there's the most infamous former cheerleader:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.mstarz.com/articles/41184/20141105/molly-shattuck-photos-nfl-cheerleader-arrested-rape-former-baltimore-ravens-beauty-seduces-sexually-assaults-instagram-teen-ray-rice-scandal.htm'>http://www.mstarz.com/articles/41184/20141105/molly-shattuck-photos-nfl-cheerleader-arrested-rape-former-baltimore-ravens-beauty-seduces-sexually-assaults-instagram-teen-ray-rice-scandal.htm</a>

(the fifteen year-old boy in the story later died from subsequent related injuries. He was high-fived to death by classmates)

...after several shoulder reconstruction surgeries.
Pages: 1 2