Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Mom cancels Christmas for her "ungrateful" kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:... Henderson goes on to explain why she and her husband are canceling part of Christmas. "we are fighting a very hard uphill battle with our kids when it comes to entitlement. Our kids have been acting so ungrateful lately. They expect so much even when their behavior is extremely disrespectful.”

She says that she and her husband gave the kids months of warning that their behavior needed to improve. But, she writes that little changed.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.actionnewsjax.com/news/lifestyles/holiday/utah-mom-cancels-christmas-ungrateful-kids/njLY5/?icmp=cmgcontent_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_morepopularheadlines5'>http://m.actionnewsjax.com/news/lifestyles/holiday/utah-mom-cancels-christmas-ungrateful-kids/njLY5/?icmp=cmgcontent_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_morepopularheadlines5</a>
Hey, do your homework, clean your room and take out the trash.

Good for the folks. Stick to your guns..
Good for them....if your kids are little jerks, they don't deserve presents.

Good for her.  Sometimes you have to lay down the law.

I don't think I could ever do that.  But my kids have never been so bad that I'd be tempted to anyway.  They don't always clean their room -- but I have subtler punishments for that.   My favorite part of Christmas is people's reactions to the gifts I get them.  Especially my wife and kids.  

Quote:Good for her.  Sometimes you have to lay down the law.

I don't think I could ever do that.  But my kids have never been so bad that I'd be tempted to anyway.  They don't always clean their room -- but I have subtler punishments for that.   My favorite part of Christmas is people's reactions to the gifts I get them.  Especially my wife and kids.  
What? Were they not ecstatic about the shoe horn with the extra long handle you got them last year?
Good for them. I'm not that big on Christmas to begin with, I used to not get my son gifts good behavior or not haha.

Perhaps if she would have taught them the true meaning of Christmas, she wouldn't have had to cancel it.  In fact, perhaps she could have emphasized Christmas.  .... just sayin'

Christmas is a celebration of the sun. Giving gifts is a pagan tradition. 

It's all hooey.

Perhaps past parental indulgence led to the ungrateful behavior. If so, lesson learned. Either way good for them. People need to stand up to their children or else they'll get run over time and again. The entitlement attitude of kids today is unreal when compared to my childhood in the 80's.
Hooey, the new Humbug

Ninja

Quote:Perhaps past parental indulgence led to the ungrateful behavior. If so, lesson learned. Either way good for them. People need to stand up to their children or else they'll get run over time and again. The entitlement attitude of kids today is unreal when compared to my childhood in the 80's.

Completely agree. I see so many parents that want to be best friends with their kids. It's crazy.

I'll be best friends with my son after he gets his law degree haha.
Quote:Perhaps past parental indulgence led to the ungrateful behavior. If so, lesson learned. Either way good for them. People need to stand up to their children or else they'll get run over time and again. The entitlement attitude of kids today is unreal when compared to my childhood in the 80's.

Said by every generation since ... forever.
The entitlement mentality of their kids didn't just happen organically.  That's learned behavior.  Seems to me the parents are trying to put the genie back in the bottle that they created. 

Quote:The entitlement mentality of their kids didn't just happen organically.  That's learned behavior.  Seems to me the parents are trying to put the genie back in the bottle that they created. 

I tend to agree. The part about, we tried for months and nothing changed. What do you mean nothing changed. Then you weren't doing something right! Kids just don't seem to have enough discipline or consequences to change being brats. I guess losing Christmas is a pretty big consequence, but man, that's crazy the parent have let it come to that.
Quote:The entitlement mentality of their kids didn't just happen organically.  That's learned behavior.  Seems to me the parents are trying to put the genie back in the bottle that they created.

Well Put...

NH3...
As I interpret this scenario, the kids rule the house, not the parents...

From birth, a child knows what he or she can get away/w. It's the parent's responsibility to teach rather than preach...

NH3...
If they believe their kids don't deserve a presents this year, good for them.  Maybe they will think about what they did, and how a real person should be acting in this world.  Hopefully, they will enjoy the meaning of Christmas being around family, and having a great meal to eat with one another.  CHRISTmas is not about presents anyway.  I agree with FBT, the entitlements these kids have these days is unreal.  They think they are owed everything, and no matter what they do, they deserve it.

Quote:I tend to agree. The part about, we tried for months and nothing changed. What do you mean nothing changed. Then you weren't doing something right! Kids just don't seem to have enough discipline or consequences to change being brats. I guess losing Christmas is a pretty big consequence, but man, that's crazy the parent have let it come to that.

I'd love to know what they "tried" on the kids that didn't work!! Repeatedly saying "no, no...don't do that" without actually backing it up isn't going to accomplish squat!!
Quote:I'd love to know what they "tried" on the kids that didn't work!! Repeatedly saying "no, no...don't do that" without actually backing it up isn't going to accomplish squat!!
Agreed.
Quote:I'd love to know what they "tried" on the kids that didn't work!! Repeatedly saying "no, no...don't do that" without actually backing it up isn't going to accomplish squat!!
Exactly.  And if you start saying "no!" after always letting the little darlings get their way prior to that, or show them that there are real consequences for their actions very early on, they're never going to take a parent seriously. 
Pages: 1 2