Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Clowney Has Microfracture Surgery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Those things can be career killers.

Would it still have happened had he been drafted here in Jax?

Quote:Would it still have happened had he been drafted here in Jax?

That is an interesting thought. Because he had a knee injury in college. But on the other hand, some blame the Houston turf and the Texans delayed surgery.

Either way, his future is in serious doubt right now.

He's been injured for the greater part of three years. Physically he is gifted. Talentwise? I never saw it.

There are other guys that have been drafted with the same physical ability and other guys waiting for it, like oakman.

That game against michigan put clowney on hype status level 11.
If the texans said right now they wouldn't want to do the draft over and take someone else, probably Bortles, they're full of it.

Injuries aside, clown is a bust.

I'd be surprised if the Texans ever see the Clowney they assumed they were getting with that top pick. You knew it could possibly be bad when they mentioned last week about a trip to see Dr Andrews. That rarely proves out to be good news. 

I still wonder what happened. For months the Texans were lined up with Bortles as their pick. It seemed a virtual certainty. Then at almost the 11th hour the Texans seemed to show interest in Clowney. At first many assumed it was just a ploy to try and extort a trade scenario such as the Rams were able to execute, but then the Texans simply selected Clowney and I was surprised then, and I'm still surprised, honestly. 

I'm glad too because I think Bortles on the Texans would have worked a out for them a lot better a lot sooner than whats happening here.
Microfracture surgery isn't normally done because of an immediate injury.  It's the end result of multiple injuries, and the complete failure of the cartilage int he knee.  Some players come back from the surgery, but most don't make it back 100%.  MJD has never been the same since he had this procedure done a few years back. 
tough break for the Texans

I don't know if it would have played out the same way... the catalyst for this turn of events was the meniscus tear. The injury that is being treated now, was an old one & imo the reason he wasn't as explosive last season as he was his sophomore season. We found a groin problem early in OTAs which we probably thought was the true reason for his 2013 season & thought we got ahead of it.... But playing with this issue would have surely caused slight swelling & a decent amount of pain. He played through it, because he knew any hint of a knee injury would have killed him in the draft (my opinion again) like it did for Louis Nix, who we also drafted & put on IR.

Dude really got one over on us. 

But had he gone to J-ville, probably wouldn't have torn his meniscus, but you'd have seen unexplained knee issues all year long until you finally got to a reason to open his knee up & look at it. X-rays & MRIs wouldn't have picked this up. 
Quote:I don't know if it would have played out the same way... the catalyst for this turn of events was the meniscus tear. The injury that is being treated now, was an old one & imo the reason he wasn't as explosive last season as he was his sophomore season. We found a groin problem early in OTAs which we probably thought was the true reason for his 2013 season & thought we got ahead of it.... 

You inspected Clowney's groin?  :blink:
Quote:I'd be surprised if the Texans ever see the Clowney they assumed they were getting with that top pick. You knew it could possibly be bad when they mentioned last week about a trip to see Dr Andrews. That rarely proves out to be good news. 

I still wonder what happened. For months the Texans were lined up with Bortles as their pick. It seemed a virtual certainty.
Then at almost the 11th hour the Texans seemed to show interest in Clowney. At first many assumed it was just a ploy to try and extort a trade scenario such as the Rams were able to execute, but then the Texans simply selected Clowney and I was surprised then, and I'm still surprised, honestly. 

I'm glad too because I think Bortles on the Texans would have worked a out for them a lot better a lot sooner than whats happening here.

I seem to recall Bortles not even projected to be picked in the top 10.  Wasn't all the hype about "Johnny Football"?  I seem to recall it being a shock to NFL fans that Bortles went at #3.

Anyway, it's too bad for the kid.  I hope it all works out for him.
If there's a positive regarding the unfortunate news regarding Jadeveon Clowney,  he has youth on his side.   If Clowney was at least several years older,  an already cloudy situation would have a much worse outlook.

Cherilus says Clowney is screwed..

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/cherilus-says-clowney-%E2%80%9Cscrewed%E2%80%9D'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/cherilus-says-clowney-%E2%80%9Cscrewed%E2%80%9D</a>

Quote:“He’s screwed,” Colts tackle Gosder Cherilus said of Texans linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, via Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star.  “His game is all about explosion.  That’s a problem.  I’m out there dancing.  I’m an offensive line[man]. That’s a different ballgame.  He’s screwed.  I’m just being honest.”

Cherilus also echoed Ryan’s description of the rehab process as long and grueling.

“The doctor said, ‘I’d be surprised if you ever play again'” Cherilus said.  “I was like, ‘My God.’  But I gave it a try.  We did rehab for nine straight months.  Three to five hours in the morning and then I’d come back and do some more later.  Think about that.”
So this could potentially end his career? That's beyond terrible!

Quote:So this could potentially end his career? That's beyond terrible!

It won't end his career, just could completely sap his explosiveness.

He can still be a contributor for a few years, it's just unlikely that the texans will have the level of player on their roster that they were hoping for when they drafted him.
Quote:So this could potentially end his career? That's beyond terrible!
That's certainly possible, although more than likely he'll come back from this, but never get back to 100%.  Microfracture surgery means he's got serious arthritic changes in the knee, and the surgery doesn't alleviate the issue they're trying to treat.  The cartilage is gone in the knee.  This recreates the cartilage, but from what I understand, it isn't as pliable as the original equipment, and the joint doesn't do well with the kind of movement that is needed for an NFL player.

MJD had microfracture surgery a few years back.  He was never the same afterward.  He lost that extra burst he had before the surgery.  Between that and the Lisfranc injury, his career was doomed to fall off dramatically.

Clowney is still young, so it'll be interesting to see how he recovers. 
Surprising this didn't reveal itself during the intial evaluations at the combine, etc. Arthritis isn't something that comes on all of a sudden. What a shame.  

Quote:Surprising this didn't reveal itself during the intial evaluations at the combine, etc. Arthritis isn't something that comes on all of a sudden. What a shame.  
They supposedly did a full battery of tests on him before drafting him.  They did one after the draft as well.  In the latter one, they identified a sports hernia issue.  My guess is he was probably playing through the pain with the knee without knowing the extent of the issue.  I'm not sure if anyone would pick it up unless he had issues with swelling or pain severe enough to report it.  Knowing he was potentially the first pick in the draft, he may have kept his mouth shut leading up to the draft. 

He'd had a lot of minor injuries last season at SC.  That may have helped him to cover up any possible knee issues.  No telling.  All we know is he's had the procedure.  It's going to have an impact on the rest of his career.
Pages: 1 2