Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars Cornerback Position
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After placing Bryan Walters on the waived/injured list, the Jaguars signed two CBs...

Tyler "Young Simba" Patman (5'10", 188) was for the most part on practice squads last season, but prior to that over his first two seasons with the Cowboys he played in 24 games while starting two of them. 

Brian Dixon (6-0, 195) played in five games at the conclusion of this past season with the Cards after signing him off the Saints practice squad. Prior to last year he played in every game his first two seasons with the Saints.

With these additions I thought I'd take a look at the Jaguars CB position...

I believe they keep six CBs which seems like a lot as they usually keep five, but I figure they want a ST guy in there as a backup nickel behind Colvin with Myrick particularly in mind to take that spot.

With this in mind, the positions that appear to be filled are...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">CB1: Jalen Ramsey

<p style="margin-left:40px;">CB2: AJ Bouye

<p style="margin-left:40px;">nickel: Aaron Colvin, Jalen Myrick

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

This basically leaves two spot for depth behind Ramsey and Bouye plus I can see a couple kept on the Practice Squad. Myrick's spot seems somewhat secure as he already looks to be a gunner on STs, however, if for any reason he doesn't work out there are a few smaller, nickel-type CBs among the remaining CBs to fill the spot.

The list of contenders for these final spots are getting thick. My predicition to take the final two roster spots are Josh Johnson, who last year showed off some play-making skills, and Jeremy Cutrer, who was rather highly ranked among some of the draftniks in this past year's draft. I'll rank the contenders according to who I think is most likely to take these spots...

1. Josh Johnson

2. Jeremy Cutler

3. Tracy Howard

4. Tyler Patman

5. Brian Dixon

6. Ezra Robinson

7. Doran Grant

All of these names are eligible for the PS, although Patmon or Dixon might have to make the PS as one of the four exceptions for veterans with multiple accrued seasons. I'd be very surprised if Johnson doesn't make it given his upside for getting INTs.

Whole lot of depth there now. No longer a position of concern for us. That is a good thing.

Josh Johnson proved last year he can handle the job. He is a must keep on the active roster. They will keep at least 5 minimal and hes your 4 or 5 guy. 

I think Patman earns a roster spot.

Quote:Whole lot of depth there now. No longer a position of concern for us. That is a good thing.

A bunch of scrubs fighting for open roster positions is not really what I term a lot of depth.

I agree with the above post that Josh Johnson, an undrafted free agent last year, is a virtual lock for one of the primary backup spots.

Who cares about the CB position.  This board is going down and the world is going to end.

Quote:A bunch of scrubs fighting for open roster positions is not really what I term a lot of depth.

I agree with the above post that Josh Johnson, an undrafted free agent last year, is a virtual lock for one of the primary backup spots.

Wish we would've retained Amukamara. Definitely need to add some better depth. I expect the FO will be keeping an eye on the waiver wire for a veteran presence.
FWIW Colvin was spotted in a walking boot today. Explains the recent CB signings. This coup possibly give a chance for either Patmon or one of the rookies to impress the coaches.
Quote:FWIW Colvin was spotted in a walking boot today. Explains the recent CB signings. This coup possibly give a chance for either Patmon or one of the rookies to impress the coaches.

I find it interesting that our entire starting secondary did not practice in the first OTA. Ramsey never showed up... Bouye, Colvin, Gipson and Church all sat out with various injuries.

Little worrisome when your star CB doesn't show and tells no one he isn't showing.. Sure he had a valid reason but hopefully someone has a sit down with him and sees what is up. 

Quote:Little worrisome when your star CB doesn't show and tells no one he isn't showing.. Sure he had a valid reason but hopefully someone has a sit down with him and sees what is up. 
He was out of town for a family wedding and apparently just extended his trip/didn't rush back for a voluntary practice. I doubt he misses another. 
Quote:He was out of town for a family wedding and apparently just extended his trip/didn't rush back for a voluntary practice. I doubt he misses another. 
Not questioning your info but I wonder how do you know this and if so why the hell the coach didn't know. Does seem odd.
Quote:Not questioning your info but I wonder how do you know this and if so why the hell the coach didn't know. Does seem odd.

Marrone did say that Ramsey told him he'd be busy this week, but then said he didn't know it would mean missing an OTA.  Indeed this does seem odd. He's the head coach. He should know, and if he doesn't know he should find out. Is Marrone saying he's unable to communicate with his players?

Heck, even Gus Bradley always knew precisely what his players were doing. You never heard him say  "I don't know," which is starting to sound like Marrone's favorite line.

Quote:Not questioning your info but I wonder how do you know this and if so why the hell the coach didn't know. Does seem odd.
From Jalen's SM accounts.  The coach said he did know that Jalen had "a bunch going on" he just didn't know he'd be missing OTA day one. 

I'm not excusing him. It's a tiny bit diva-ish of him, but unless it becomes a big trend from him, I'm not worried. 
Quote:From Jalen's SM accounts.  The coach said he did know that Jalen had "a bunch going on" he just didn't know he'd be missing OTA day one. 

I'm not excusing him. It's a tiny bit diva-ish of him, but unless it becomes a big trend from him, I'm not worried. 
Ramsey does have a tendency to act like a diva. I just hope he won't be a one hit wonder.
He won't be a one hit wonder. He has all the skills to be an all-pro. With guys like Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, Revis, Joe Haden, and a couple other CBs getting older...Ramsey has the skill set to be the best CB in the league.

Once Fowler, Yannick, Malik, and Campbell start pressuring the QB more, Ramsey will start stuffing the state sheet with INTs and deflections.

He's easily our best player on the entire team.
Talking about CBs

Per O'Halloran:

3. Marrone said CB Doran Grant had a good day (at least one INT), getting extra snaps with all the other CB injuries.

And Mike Kaye:

Joining Colvin and Bouye on the sidelines were starting safeties Barry Church and Tashaun Gipson. The safety duo, like the cornerback tandem, has missed the entire first week of OTAs.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Jalen Ramsey is the lone member of the projected starting secondary practicing. The second-year player had a very strong day with a pair of pass breakups during team drills. 

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Grant, Josh Johnson, James Sample, Jarrod Wilson and Peyton Thompson are benefiting from the extra playing time. 

Quote:Talking about CBs

Per O'Halloran:

3. Marrone said CB Doran Grant had a good day (at least one INT), getting extra snaps with all the other CB injuries.

And Mike Kaye:

Joining Colvin and Bouye on the sidelines were starting safeties Barry Church and Tashaun Gipson. The safety duo, like the cornerback tandem, has missed the entire first week of OTAs.

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Jalen Ramsey is the lone member of the projected starting secondary practicing. The second-year player had a very strong day with a pair of pass breakups during team drills. 

<p style="font-family:arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(51,51,51);">Grant, Josh Johnson, James Sample, Jarrod Wilson and Peyton Thompson are benefiting from the extra playing time. 

Looks like Grant just moved out of last place in my Jaguars CB ranking.

Quote:Looks like Grant just moved out of last place in my Jaguars CB ranking.
I tried to get you hip to Doran Grant in a different thread before the server errors hit.

He's a former fourth round pick with a lot of upside.
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll place this here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ags-on-top

I like where our DBs are these days...

Pages: 1 2