Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Long-Term Starters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Name who you would like long-term...Questions marks mean I don't like the current starter (or maybe they are just a guy) or in the case of a rookie I may think they are an unknown.

The point is to see how many players we "think are solid" (or we think will develop into solid players) moving forward.

LT-?

LG-?

C-? (maybe Bowanko)

RG-Linder

RT-?

TE-?

FB-?

RB- D Rob but draft another starter

QB-?

WR- A Rob, Lee, and Hurns

DE- Clemons

DT-Marks

DT-?

DE-?

LB- T Smith

LB- ?

LB- ?

CB- Colvin

CB- ?

SS- ?

FS- ?

I wouldn't put Clemons long-term, he's at the end of his career and has another year or two in him at most. 

Joeckel is definitely in at LT for the next few years.  I watched him play in college and I'm surprised he's struggled as much as he has; I think he will take a step forward next year.  We definitely need better O-line coaching. 
McCray and Colvin in the secondary. Telvin Smith and Marks. A Rob Lee Hurns Linder Bowanko on offense. Bortles if he improves too.
How is McCray not on that list?
Quote:I wouldn't put Clemons long-term, he's at the end of his career and has another year or two in him at most. 

Joeckel is definitely in at LT for the next few years.  I watched him play in college and I'm surprised he's struggled as much as he has; I think he will take a step forward next year.  We definitely need better O-line coaching. 
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Bradley stays at least through next season.  I'd like to see someone come in to coach the offense that can mold them into an NFL offense.  I think a guy like Russ Grimm would be really good for this bunch, especially on the O-Line.  Maybe not as a coordinator per se, but I think he would be an excellent O-Line coach and the thing is, unless I'm sorely mistaken, he's available right now.  I also could see Boselli getting into coaching in some capacity.  He seems to have the passion, but I'm not sure it would work.  On second thought, he's a pretty good ambassador for the Jags and should probably stay in that role.
LT-Joekel

LG- n/a
C-Bowanko
RG-Linder
RT-n/a

TE-Lewis*
FB-Ta'ufo'ou*
RB- n/a
QB- <i>Bortles</i>

DE- Clemons
DT-Marks
DT-n/a
DE-Branch

LB- T Smith
LB- n/a
LB- n/a

CB- Colvin
CB- McCray
NCB- Ball*
SS- Cyprien

FS- n/a

Bold -> I don't have any doubt they will be key contributors.
Italics -> Either they've flashed enough to where I have faith in them, or they're ok if we could get them for cheap (denoted by *). I threw Ta'ufo'ou in there because I don't care too much about the FB position and don't care to think about replacing it.
Orange -> They haven't even flashed enough to give me faith, but I still have hope they may turn a corner.
n/a -> someone not on our current roster.

That's actually a surprising amount of rookies/2nd years from our drafts. If Caldwell keeps it up we may actually be doing OK in a year or two (assuming 2 impact players a draft and hopefully 2 FA hits a year).

Quote: 

<div>LT-Joekel

LG- n/a
C-Bowanko
RG-Linder
RT-n/a

TE-Lewis*
FB-Ta'ufo'ou*
RB- n/a
QB- <i>Bortles</i>

DE- Clemons
DT-Marks
DT-n/a
DE-Branch

LB- T Smith
LB- n/a
LB- n/a

CB- Colvin
CB- McCray
NCB- Ball*
SS- Cyprien

FS- n/a

Bold -> I don't have any doubt they will be key contributors.
Italics -> Either they've flashed enough to where I have faith in them, or they're ok if we could get them for cheap (denoted by *). I threw Ta'ufo'ou in there because I don't care too much about the FB position and don't care to think about replacing it.
Orange -> They haven't even flashed enough to give me faith, but I still have hope they may turn a corner.
n/a -> someone not on our current roster.

That's actually a surprising amount of rookies/2nd years from our drafts. If Caldwell keeps it up we may actually be doing OK in a year or two (assuming 2 impact players a draft and hopefully 2 FA hits a year).

</div>

I agree with your final statement.  For me, it also shows how many holes we truly have.  I do think Caldwell might be OK as a GM.  I'm just not sold on Bradley at all.
LT- Joeckel

LG-

C- Bowanko

RG- Linder

RT-

TE-

FB-

RB/speed- Robinson

RB/power- 

QB- Bortles

WR- Blackmon, Robinson, Lee, Hurns, ?

DE-      , Branch

DT-Marks, Hood

DT-       , Jones 

DE-

LB- T Smith

LB-

LB-

CB- Colvin

CB- McCray

NB- Gratz

SS- Cyprien

FS-

Quote:How is McCray not on that list?

Along with Bortles.
Quote:I agree with your final statement.  For me, it also shows how many holes we truly have.  I do think Caldwell might be OK as a GM.  I'm just not sold on Bradley at all.

I agree with this too.  We need at least one or two more drafts.  I'm worried about the coordinators though.  I think we really need a good experienced OC and Bradley needs to get more involved with the defense.  Change needs to occur on the staff this offseason.
no one

fire them all

Quote:no one

fire them all
We already did that and look where we are today  :thumbsup:
Quote:We already did that and look where we are today :thumbsup:
firing them all will cost us at minimum another 2 years of rebuilding
Quote:firing them all will cost us at minimum another 2 years of rebuilding

I don't understand this thought?  If you keep Caldwell but change the coaching staff I do not agree you will be set back that much on rebuilding.  I think the contrary could be argued.  What if Bradley and co. don't pan out and we "realize" next year that they haven't been developing players and they're fired?  Then we've just lost another year of true player development and now the new staff is a year behind.
Quote:no one

fire them all

At least try
Am I crazy to think we get a real LT and move Joekel to RT?  Wouldn't that improve both positions.

Quote:I don't understand this thought?  If you keep Caldwell but change the coaching staff I do not agree you will be set back that much on rebuilding.  I think the contrary could be argued.  What if Bradley and co. don't pan out and we "realize" next year that they haven't been developing players and they're fired?  Then we've just lost another year of true player development and now the new staff is a year behind.
Of the course the contrary could be argued based on a FEW examples, but success after the fact is not the norm. It would be a flip of the coin and huge gamble to MAYBE squeeze more out of the current roster. That is a lot of risk for a maybe. Devils advocate: So we swap coaching staff and we don't get better...now we are behind the curve 2+ years to the 5 already. This fan base would explode!
 -QB Bortles

-RB Robinson

-WR A-Rob

-WR Lee

-WR Hurns

-LT Joeckel

-C Bowanko

-LG Linder

-DT Marks

-LB Telvin Smith

-CB McCray

-CB Colvin

andddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd..........................  

PUNTER : Bryaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn Angeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!! Banana :woot: Banana

Quote:Am I crazy to think we get a real LT and move Joekel to RT?  Wouldn't that improve both positions.
Yes. Not his natural position and he'd be worse off. Don't see how both positions get improved on that move. Bring in competition in the off season for LT and may the best man win!
Quote:Am I crazy to think we get a real LT and move Joekel to RT?  Wouldn't that improve both positions.

I would be surprised. I think it more likely the team adds another veteran to play right tackle and drafts a swing tackle somewhere to provide some depth.
Pages: 1 2