Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Talent for the Future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, so after rewatching some of the game here are some thoughts moving forward.  Discuss away...

Positives...

Colvin and Linder look like they are going to be Baller level players

Linder does a lot of good things.  The dude beats his man physically, pushes his man back when they try to jump and knock down a pass, he blocks his man back or completely out of the play when possible.  Watching this dude play will make you smile!

Colvin can make great open field tackles and has a knack for making plays.  I'm excited to see this kid develop.

Hurns and Lee (as well as ARob) have a chance to make a good WR corps.

Marks and Clemons are rock solid on the D Line.

They may be pretty obvious but I'd call those the standout positives.

Negatives...

Red Bryant is just a guy.

Joeckel is still getting pushed around and whiffs too much.  Here's to keeping our fingers crossed that he makes a leap forward going into next year.

The O Line Communcation is lacking and results in someone on the D making an impact too often

M Lewis whiffs too often on blocks no matter what kind of rep he has

Gerhart is not good in pass protection

Overall...

I didn't want to analyze every single player but just give my opinion on a few.

Althought Caldwell hasn't hit on every signing/draft pick, I do think he's bringing in enough talent at this point.  I also think he's learning as a GM and going to get better IMHO.

I still do believe that Bradley needs to be replaced because of the lack of player development, solid scheming, game planning, in-game management, etc.  I think a better coach could get more out of this team even though it is extremely young and somewhat void of talent.

Lewis is the most overpaid player on the roster - and the entire NFL for that matter.  He's done this offseason.  No way do the Jags pay him $7m in 2015. 

Gratz has to be the biggest disappointment; was really hoping he would improve this year but he's gotten significantly worse for some reason. 

Linder has been a huge surprise - and Bowanko has been good enough at center.  Arrow pointing up with those two..

Bortles

Linder

ARob / Lee

DRob

McCray

Colvin

Telvin

Ehhh ...
Did you watch any of BB5's foot work?

I think it was you, Jeremy that mentioned his feet, apologies if I mis-remember it...

But I noticed on a couple plays, BB5 has no spring in his step in the pocket.  He just stands there, flat footed.  I'm no QB coach, but I don't see many good QBs just stand there like they have cement shoes...

I'm really worried that the coaches are not doing thier part in helping BB5 develop...  

I really believe Toby has been my biggest let down. I was hoping he would do alright, i still felt like he was a risk but I had no idea he'd be this big of a disappointment.

I also still wish I knew why Joeckel is not improving -_-

I agree with most of your take, but would add Bortles as a positive as well. My username not withstanding, if you put in perspective the reality of the situation he was coming into (i.e. the incredibly bad records we've been breaking), he has shown real potential. It's been discussed ad nauseum that an offense full of rookies/young players will play as such.

This leads me to where I don't necessarily agree, where you say there is a lack of player development. I look at guys like Robinson, Hurns and Lee; most of us would agree they are a promising group moving forward. On the other side of the ball are guys like Smith and McCray. I see development there. Where you can fault the coaching is the lack of overall consistency.

We all know Gus and co. are getting a 3rd year. Time will tell if the scope of this rebuild was truly the driving factor (i.e. the core of the offense being rookies or young players with more experience, a third draft and free agency--one where Dave better knows the core players to go out and spend and build around with the means to do so), or if coaching is truly the issue because of the aforementioned advantages the extra time will provide.
I think we have a bunch of young guys with a ton of potential.  We need to let them develop.  It's foolish to think that Caldwell is going to hit on every single pick, especially the later rounds.  We need him to hit on the early picks.  I think he has the ability to find talent later though (see Colvin).  What's starting to concern me a bit is the coaching.  I'm not a big fan of our coordinators and I think some upgrades should be in order this offseason.

Quote:Did you watch any of BB5's foot work?

I think it was you, Jeremy that mentioned his feet, apologies if I mis-remember it...

But I noticed on a couple plays, BB5 has no spring in his step in the pocket.  He just stands there, flat footed.  I'm no QB coach, but I don't see many good QBs just stand there like they have cement shoes...

I'm really worried that the coaches are not doing thier part in helping BB5 develop...  

Yes, I mentioned "heavy feet" last week for lack of better coach terminology. Smile  Your description is exactly what I was observing as well. 
Quote:I think we have a bunch of young guys with a ton of potential.  We need to let them develop.  It's foolish to think that Caldwell is going to hit on every single pick, especially the later rounds.  We need him to hit on the early picks.  I think he has the ability to find talent later though (see Colvin).  What's starting to concern me a bit is the coaching.  I'm not a big fan of our coordinators and I think some upgrades should be in order this offseason.

Here's my quote "Althought Caldwell hasn't hit on every signing/draft pick, I do think he's bringing in enough talent at this point.  I also think he's learning as a GM and going to get better IMHO."

Maybe I should have worded better.  I was giving credit to Caldwell...not meaning that any GM would hit on all picks.  I do think he probably did a better job in 2014 than in 2013. 

To your point about later rounds, duely noted, but that's my concern for the 2013 draft...Joeckel, Cyp and Gratz are big questions marks at best right now.  Those are his first 3 picks and our early round picks that year.
Quote:Here's my quote "Althought Caldwell hasn't hit on every signing/draft pick, I do think he's bringing in enough talent at this point.  I also think he's learning as a GM and going to get better IMHO."

Maybe I should have worded better.  I was giving credit to Caldwell...not meaning that any GM would hit on all picks.  I do think he probably did a better job in 2014 than in 2013. 

To your point about later rounds, duely noted, but that's my concern for the 2013 draft...Joeckel, Cyp and Gratz are big questions marks at best right now.  Those are his first 3 picks and our early round picks that year.

Honestly, and this is as much a knee-jerk reaction as anything I've ever put on the board, I think his 2013 draft may end up being one of his weaker ones.  He seems sharp. I think he's learning a lot. I think we'll see some of that in FA this year--or at least, I hope we do.  

I'd rather have that than the Gene Smith version, where the best draft is the first and each one gets progressively worse as the years go on.

Quote:Yes, I mentioned "heavy feet" last week for lack of better coach terminology. Smile  Your description is exactly what I was observing as well. 

I wonder if coaching has something to do with this.

Quote:Here's my quote "Althought Caldwell hasn't hit on every signing/draft pick, I do think he's bringing in enough talent at this point.  I also think he's learning as a GM and going to get better IMHO."

I wasn't directing that quote at you.  I was just making a general statement so I apologize if I came across like that.

After reading this board for years and just now getting into posting, I've come to find that some fans have unrealistic expectations.  Gene Smith did a lot of damage to this team and it's going to take time to dig out.  Just like anything else, there are going to be some misses.  I've got some concerns about the 2013 picks too, but if the next draft is on par with 2014, I would be willing to give Caldwell a pass as it was his first time out.  I'm really more concerned about the coaching staff than I am about Caldwell and I'm wondering if Joeckel is a product of bad coaching.  I think if we get a couple of good additions to the secondary, Gratz and Cyprien will get better.  The loss of Posluszny this year has had an impact for sure.

Quote:Honestly, and this is as much a knee-jerk reaction as anything I've ever put on the board, I think his 2013 draft may end up being one of his weaker ones.  He seems sharp. I think he's learning a lot. I think we'll see some of that in FA this year--or at least, I hope we do.  

I'd rather have that than the Gene Smith version, where the best draft is the first and each one gets progressively worse as the years go on.

I don't think making a rational assessment of his 2013 class at this point is a fault.  I'm not saying we should cut them now.  However, I think it's fair to say that Joeckel, Cyp and Gratz have not lived up to the hope we had for them last year.  We also haven't seen tangible progression from them over this season which is nearly over.  Joeckel deserves somewhat of a pass if anyone due to injury.  I'm crossing my fingers he makes a big improvement next year but I'm not sold either.
Quote:I wasn't directing that quote at you.  I was just making a general statement so I apologize if I came across like that.

After reading this board for years and just now getting into posting, I've come to find that some fans have unrealistic expectations.  Gene Smith did a lot of damage to this team and it's going to take time to dig out.  Just like anything else, there are going to be some misses.  I've got some concerns about the 2013 picks too, but if the next draft is on par with 2014, I would be willing to give Caldwell a pass as it was his first time out.  I'm really more concerned about the coaching staff than I am about Caldwell and I'm wondering if Joeckel is a product of bad coaching.  I think if we get a couple of good additions to the secondary, Gratz and Cyprien will get better.  The loss of [BAD WORD REMOVED] this year has had an impact for sure.
Note to mods:  I abbreviated Posluszny's name and got a bad word removed.  Really?

Quote:I think we have a bunch of young guys with a ton of potential.  We need to let them develop.  It's foolish to think that Caldwell is going to hit on every single pick, especially the later rounds.  We need him to hit on the early picks.  I think he has the ability to find talent later though (see Colvin).  What's starting to concern me a bit is the coaching.  I'm not a big fan of our coordinators and I think some upgrades should be in order this offseason.
If he's not gonna hit on all his picks then why in the hell would you tear a team down to its bare and say you're gonna build the team thru the draft? If you're taking that approach you better hit on the majority of your picks or this team won't have a .500 season until 8 years from now. His early picks don't look too hot as it is right now. He's pulling a Shack Harris and doing better in the later rounds than the earlier ones. I'm skeptical on The Joke, Cyprien, and Bortles right now.
Not all draft classes are created equal. I think it's a mistake to judge Caldwell on the 2013 draft by comparing it to the 2014 draft.

He drafted better in 2014 because there was more available talent in 2014. If you compare his 2013 draft with other GMs 2013 draft, it doesn't look nearly as drastic. Looking quickly, the only draft I immediately thought was better in 2013 was Detroits.
Why do we ALWAYS swing and miss on our first rounders? I haven't given up on BB, and Blackmon is MIA, but we never seem to draft the right guy. It's either bust or a major disappointment.
Quote:Note to mods: I abbreviated Posluszny's name and got a bad word removed. Really?

Did you say P O S, or Poz? Lol
Quote:OK, so after rewatching some of the game here are some thoughts moving forward.  Discuss away...

Positives...

Linder does a lot of good things.  The dude beats his man physically, pushes his man back when they try to jump and knock down a pass, he blocks his man back or completely out of the play when possible.  Watching this dude play will make you smile!

Colvin can make great open field tackles and has a knack for making plays.  I'm excited to see this kid develop.

Negatives...

Joeckel is still getting pushed around and whiffs too much.  Here's to keeping our fingers crossed that he makes a leap forward going into next year.

The O Line Communcation is lacking and results in someone on the D making an impact too often

Overall...

Althought Caldwell hasn't hit on every signing/draft pick, I do think he's bringing in enough talent at this point.  I also think he's learning as a GM and going to get better IMHO.

I still do believe that Bradley needs to be replaced because of the lack of player development, solid scheming, game planning, in-game management, etc.  I think a better coach could get more out of this team even though it is extremely young and somewhat void of talent.
agree on most of this, disagree on gerhart in pass pro. He made at least one solid block on watt in the game. It looks like the rb assingment throughout the game was help with watt and i think that slowed him down on picking up the free runner. I have seen him pick up a free runner quite a few times, problem is there are often a fair few free runners.

I agree on linder though I haven't looked at him in real detail, i personally really like bowanko. He's really good at the chip block and getting to the second level. I think as he gets more used to the game and also most importantly gets stronger that could become the core of our line.

I think joeckel gets another year just on where he was drafted, Beadles gets another year based on his contract being pretty much a two year deal, bowanko and linder both get another year based on play. I then think we use a third or fourth rounder on a tackle that can play guard to compete with pasztor.

Hopefully, with less change on the line, perhaps a new coach if yarno chooses not to come back they can develop into a solid force
Quote:OK, so after rewatching some of the game here are some thoughts moving forward.  Discuss away...

Positives...

Negatives...

Overall...

I dont understand why so many threads claim that Dave Caldwell has been bad at drafting.  I think if anything is certain is that the GM has been doing a great job.  I mean you can critize the hiring of the Head Coach with such a poor win record, and I'm sure thats why some say his FA or drafts are to blame but the talent shows on the field to me.

I am told that Linder is having a probowl year but its hard to praise any OLineman on this team when they are considered the leagues worst Oline.

Aaron Colvin hasnt had a lot of playing time this season but from what I've seen so far I'm impressed.

RB Storm Johnson a 7th round pick that hasnt really had a lot of playing time seems to be impotent but not much risk at 7th round.

QB Blake Bortles had ups and downs surrounded by a revolving Oline & WR & RBs due to injuries and poor performances his QB rating & INTS are the leagues worst among starting QBs (including rookies) but he has the potential to be a great QB due to his elusiveness, vision, and when footwork is good a rifle arm.   Too soon to truly grade Blake I feel this season he's been below average, but due to things out of his control.  Basically on a better team he might be above average.

WR Allen Hurns UNDRAFTED to me has been a super star, coming up the ranks by time & time again performing.  He is to me the best replacement for what Justin Blackmon used to do with his size.  He's a rookie so he'll most likely improve, and based on what we've seen this year that's great for all Jaguar fans.

WR Allen Robinson 2nd round has been very reliable, kind of a wes welker WR type whom is great go to for Blake on 3rd downs or clutch catches.  Like all the WRs he's been plagued with injuries this season and is now on IR.

WR Marqise Lee came to the Jaguars still injured and has been fighting injuries but now with so many WRs injured he's truly getting a chance to shine, and is very quick on the slants.  He's learning the routes better as the season progresses.

A very strong WR core to build off of going fwd.

Center Luke is like Linder in that everyone is saying what a great job he's doing, and with a center if he's not messing up snaps or having guys fly past him for the QB he's doing a great job... for the most part.

DE Smith havent seen enough of him to truly tell how good this guy will be...
Gerhart is way better than DRob in PP. Gerhart was actually considered the best pass protecting back in the nfl when he was in minnesota, maybe things changed ? idn.

Pages: 1 2