Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rushing up the middle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We've been getting gashed up the middle recently.  I know part of it is the teams we've faced, but even so we shouldn't be giving up > 100 yards a game up the gut.

http://imgur.com/OTpKdyp

This is something that hasn't really been talked about much around here.  Our front 4 get penetration, but too often we allow rushers to get critical yards. There's no way you can compare this D to the Stroud/Big Hen days.  Is this a function of defensive scheme, poor line run play, or a lack of a decisive run stopping LB?  Or is our line playing well and we're just having our stats blown out of proportion due to a couple of huge runs that are a result of terrible safety play?  I have no clue.

LBs missing gaps and/or tackles mostly.

Poz.

Love him or hate him, his absence is direct impact of our run D struggling up the middle.
Our linebackers are terrible aside from Telvin Smith.

JT Thomas and Geno Hayes are journeymen for a reason.

I don't know if Poz will be back but it is a huge area of need either way.

Signing KJ Wright would be a great start.

Also, according to PFF, Roy Miller has had a pretty rough stretch over the last few weeks, including his worst game of the season yesterday.

I'd like to see Jeremiah George back at MLB. Just watching the game, it always feels to me like the RB either gets clogged up at the line, or he is untouched 6 yards down the field with only Cyprien left to make an open field tackle.

How often do you see the RB clear the line and get dropped by one of the LB for a 2 yard gain?
Quote:Also, according to PFF, Roy Miller has had a pretty rough stretch over the last few weeks, including his worst game of the season yesterday.

I'd like to see Jeremiah George back at MLB. Just watching the game, it always feels to me like the RB either gets clogged up at the line, or he is untouched 6 yards down the field with only Cyprien left to make an open field tackle.

How often do you see the RB clear the line and get dropped by one of the LB for a 2 yard gain?

LB is definitely an area of concern and will be addressed for sure this offseason. George looked good in his limited time and hopefully will be able to play this week off injury.
We definitely need a Ray Lewis type MLB.

..... ok .... I know I'm stating the obvious :thumbsup:
I will be happy when our linebacking group is no longer made up of mostly waiver wire signings.

Would love to see some premium picks spent on the position.

Leonard Williams is here to help.
Quote:Poz.

Love him or hate him, his absence is direct impact of our run D struggling up the middle.
Yes
Quote:Also, according to PFF, Roy Miller has had a pretty rough stretch over the last few weeks, including his worst game of the season yesterday.

Great post.

Are the individual player grades open to all or is that a PFF member-only aspect?

I've only ever found grades via their weekly game recaps.

I know PFF hits penalties really hard, so Roy probably got destroyed for that 4th down encroachment penalty.

4 of our top 5 leading tacklers Sunday play in the secondary with Thomas, our MLB, coming in only third. Hayes, the starting strong side LB, had 1 tackle and 1 assist.

To put things in perspective, Poz has had individual games with more tackles than the entire starting LB corps had on Sunday combined.

You have to get better production from your LBs if you are going to stop the run.

Expect a big infusion of talent there this off season.

Quote:Are the individual player grades open to all or is that a PFF member-only aspect?

I've only ever found grades via their weekly game recaps.

I know PFF hits penalties really hard, so Roy probably got destroyed for that 4th down encroachment penalty.

It's a member only thing. But I have no problem posting them if asked. Also, you're right on Miller... He was -1.2 on run, 0.4 on pass, and -2.4 on penalties. They had him down for two penalties.
Quote:4 of our top 5 leading tacklers Sunday play in the secondary with Thomas, our MLB, coming in only third. Hayes, the starting strong side LB, had 1 tackle and 1 assist.

To put things in perspective, Poz has had individual games with more tackles than the entire starting LB corps had on Sunday combined.

You have to get better production from your LBs if you are going to stop the run.

Expect a big infusion of talent there this off season.

Good catch Predator.
Quote:We've been getting gashed up the middle recently.  I know part of it is the teams we've faced, but even so we shouldn't be giving up > 100 yards a game up the gut.

http://imgur.com/OTpKdyp

This is something that hasn't really been talked about much around here.  Our front 4 get penetration, but too often we allow rushers to get critical yards. There's no way you can compare this D to the Stroud/Big Hen days.  Is this a function of defensive scheme, poor line run play, or a lack of a decisive run stopping LB?  Or is our line playing well and we're just having our stats blown out of proportion due to a couple of huge runs that are a result of terrible safety play?  I have no clue.
That would mean that DT Roy Miller isnt as good at stopping the run as everyone claims... that cant be true...

I really think the Jaguars are going to draft a DT in the 1st round to help Pro Bowl DT Marks out. 
Quote:Leonard Williams is here to help.
you think we will take him ?
Quote:Poz.

We still got gashed with Poz in.
Quote:you think we will take him ?

He is a definite possibility
Quote:you think we will take him ?
Where does he play if we take him? Seems like a 5 tech would be the best spot since he's not taking over Marks' job. So that means Bryant goes to the bench. Unless they put him at a 1 tech but I don't think that makes sense since he can rush the passer.
Pages: 1 2