Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jedd Fisch explains funky Marqise Lee's TD formation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-12-03/story/jaguars-notebook-play-shows-shades-spurrier#gsc.tab=0'>http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-12-03/story/jaguars-notebook-play-shows-shades-spurrier#gsc.tab=0</a>

Quote:Jaguars offensive coordinator Jedd Fischdrew up a ball play inspired by his former boss, Steve Spurrier, in the team’s 25-24 win over the New York Giants on Sunday.

Fisch, who worked at Florida under Spurrier from 1999-2000, unleashed a modified version of the gadget play Spurrier made famous with the Gators in the heyday of the Fun N’ Gun — The Emory & Henry.

The play worked brilliantly. With multiple offensive linemen lined up on the perimeter with the receiver, the Jaguars took advantage of receiver Marqise Lee getting one-on-one coverage on the other side. Quarterback Blake Bortles connected with Lee for a 30-yard touchdown, cutting the lead to 21-16 with 1:55 left in the third quarter.

“A good ball and a good route,” Fisch said. “You had one-on-one coverage and had a chance to throw a go route and took advantage of it. The rest of it was he had time back there. He really had to take his steps, throw it out there and let Marqise run under the ball.”

Spurrier’s version of the play placed linemen on both perimeters. Still, Fisch acknowledged the connection.

“Yeah, we had both tackles out rather than split them on either side,” Fisch said. “I would say it’s probably very similar to [Emory & Henry], we just switched it up a little bit.”

Its good to see him pull something out of the hat from the "Ole Ball Coach". Here's hoping to see more diverse playcalling.

Edit: Also to note the Jags signed LB AJ Edds to fill Pasztor's roster spot.
Great, Steve Spurrier inspired play calling.  Well, he was an NFL coach for a while, right?   Wallbash

Hey it got us points... I'll take it!

I just hope he figures out how to get us more....

Quote:Hey it got us points... I'll take it!

I just hope he figures out how to get us more....

Well played.  Can't argue with this...  Let's hope he keeps coming up with plays that work.  

But I swear, if I see another formation where we have no receivers or routes on one half of the field, I'm gonna freak out!!!!
Quote:Great, Steve Spurrier inspired play calling. Well, he was an NFL coach for a while, right? Wallbash

Chip Kelly and many others have used similar formations. Spurrier was just one of the first to use something he called "Emry and Henry" with just the C and guards in the middle of the field, tackles out wide.
I like it, it showed initiative and I think he wanted to make a statement that he is a good OC.

Like any other gadget play, if it works he's a genius.. and if it doesn't, it's "off with his head!!".

Quote:Like any other gadget play, if it works he's a genius.. and if it doesn't, it's "off with his head!!".

That's goes for pretty much any play or gameplan.....
Quote:Great, Steve Spurrier inspired play calling.  Well, he was an NFL coach for a while, right?   Wallbash

Bashing your head against a wall complaining about a play call which resulted in probably Bortles best throw of the season with Lee's best catch this season which resulted in points.  Yea, you're cool  Rolleyes
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-12-03/story/jaguars-notebook-play-shows-shades-spurrier#gsc.tab=0'>http://m.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-12-03/story/jaguars-notebook-play-shows-shades-spurrier#gsc.tab=0</a>

Its good to see him pull something out of the hat from the "Ole Ball Coach". Here's hoping to see more diverse playcalling.

Edit: Also to note the Jags signed LB AJ Edds to fill Pasztor's roster spot.

To sum it up, Fisch used unusual formation to make it easier for the offensive players to do their job.

It's incredible that it is so noteworthy for this team when it actually happens.
Quote:Bashing your head against a wall complaining about a play call which resulted in probably Bortles best throw of the season with Lee's best catch this season which resulted in points. Yea, you're cool Rolleyes

Thanks! My 2 year old also thinks I'm cool... so with you, that makes two people.

Hey, and don't sell yourself short! That eye rolling emoticon is also very cool!