Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: First Half vs giants- What Went Wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just rewatched (all-22)  the first half and I took notes on the more meaningful defensive gaffs.  

FWIW   - Here's what went wrong on the giants first two touchdown drives (third drive later in thread) :

giants first TD drive:

-Telvin Smith stays pretty tight on the TE crossing route but a good throw and a half step of separation converts a big third down. 

- Later same drive - another first down - this time to Beckham on a comeback route which was executed in an apparent soft spot of the zone coverage.

Colvin was coming over to make the play but a couple steps too slow to impact play. Gratz stayed well back. Hard to tell what the assignments were there. Maybe just a good call by the offense against the zone coverage.  Maybe Gratz gave-up/bailed  too soon.

**screenshot  

- 13 yard pass to Ogletree (same drive) - receiver runs a quick slant from the outside.  McCray plays off and gets caught sleeping when the WR breaks. 

- 8 yard run by Jennings up the middle - Miller and JT just get blocked very well and Jennings hops through a small gap before both safeties converge. 

- 2 yd TD by Jennings.  Reynolds is in the game instead of Telvin for the the  goal line situation. LaRoy ends up being the only unaccounted for LB in the giants blocking scheme and comes in to take a shot on the RB - but he's coming from across the formation and can only deliver a glancing blow - he gets hurt in the process. Jennings had a full head of steam on impact. 

giants second TD drive- 

- 18 yd screen to Williams - JT, Telvin, Cyp and Evans all bite on the fake reverse to Beckham - and the screen is set up nicely to the other side.  

• 32 yd pass to the TE up the middle. Donnell comes in motion from the far side - lines up in backfield offset to Eli's left - scoots out between LG and LT after the snap and neither Telvin nor Evans pick him up.  Not sure who's responsibility he was. One of those two.  Telvin seemed focused on the RB while Evans may have just "cheated up" too much. 

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Noteworthy-Light';font-size:15px;"> 
  • TD pass (3 yds) to Parker from slot. JT in coverage got just a little turned around and Eli timed the quick strike well. 

The majority of mistakes are coming from young or undrafted players.  Hopefully that means the mistakes are fewer next year as experience is gained and positions are upgraded. 

</div>
**screenshot

[Image: oiop1.jpg]

Hey, NYC, can you check the all-22 at 14:52 in the 2nd Quarter...  Was the reciever at the bottom of the screen in single coverage?  And what route did he run...

BB5 looked his way prior to snap, but then over threw shorts who was running a fly route from the slot...

I wonder if the guy at the bottom of the screen was open or not...  The CB looked to be playing off him pre-snap.

The first tipped ball BB5 gets is in the 2nd Quarter as well...  He threw that ball flat footed.  His footwork was really bad on that throw...

Quote:Hey, NYC, can you check the all-22 at 14:52 in the 2nd Quarter...  Was the reciever at the bottom of the screen in single coverage?  And what route did he run...

BB5 looked his way prior to snap, but then over threw shorts who was running a fly route from the slot...

I wonder if the guy at the bottom of the screen was open or not...  The CB looked to be playing off him pre-snap.

On that play - Hurns is the outside guy and does a quick comeback (sits down in the flat) open for a short gain.

Lee is inside Hurns to Bortles right - and gets bumped pretty good getting into his route. Lee may have come open, but there was a LB lurking underneath to tip or pick the pass  if not well placed. 

My takeaway is that Shorts got open and Bortles overthrew him. Blake also pump fakes the swing pass to Denard before passing to Shorts.  Makes the safety think twice. 

[Image: 14ac0t2.jpg]

Thanks, Man!  

It looked like right before the snap he was looking Hurns' way...  I wonder if he would have recognized that play as being single coverage he would have gone to Hurns...  

OK, sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, I know you're focusing on the D-Side here.

:thanks:

Quote:…. didn't mean to derail your thread, I know you're focusing on the D-Side here.

No worries.   I had the all-22 all cued up anyway.  

I was just curious as to exactly how the Jags D let them jump to such a quick lead.  

Seems like some strong running from Jennings combined with the 5 or 6 mistakes by the Jags back seven gave up the first two TDs. The third was essentially more of the same plus the D being pretty gassed by that point.  Thank God for halftime. 
Great job on the write up.
Great write up! Thanks
Yes. Excellent analysis.

Quote: No worries.   I had the all-22 all cued up anyway.  

I was just curious as to exactly how the Jags D let them jump to such a quick lead.  

Seems like some strong running from Jennings combined with the 5 or 6 mistakes by the Jags back seven gave up the first two TDs. The third was essentially more of the same plus the D being pretty gassed by that point.  Thank God for halftime. 

I watched a bit tonight as well and one thing that stuck out to me was how deep Cyp (really both safeties) play off the LOS and on some plays they started back pedaling on the snap.

Is that normal?  Because while watching the game Sunday I thought it odd how late Cyp often was on running plays.  For all I know it's normal play from the safeties but it seemed we were maybe playing an "over" defense? At least early?

[Image: 2ns2jdc.png]

[Image: 20swz2e.png]
Thanks for the breakdown
Check the Giants Safeties against our D...  How far back do thier safeties play?

Quote:I watched a bit tonight as well and one thing that stuck out to me was how deep Cyp (really both safeties) play off the LOS and on some plays they started back pedaling on the snap.

Is that normal?  Because while watching the game Sunday I thought it odd how late Cyp often was on running plays.  For all I know it's normal play from the safeties but it seemed we were maybe playing an "over" defense? At least early?

[Image: 2ns2jdc.png]

[Image: 20swz2e.png]
Good thread NYC.

I really missed reading these.

Excellent work, as usual.

Wow NYC, you're a better fan than I am!

Thanks for the kindness, fellas.  Here's the third TD drive breakdown and a bright spot to temper the avalanche of errors. 

NYG third TD drive:

•  2nd and 9 -  Eli passes a quick one to Beckham in the flat. (WR screen) Evans dashes up to make the play - initially puts himself in good position - but has a bad angle at the last split-second and whiffs on the attempt to wrap up the ankles. Would have been a one yard gain - turns into 29. (This is when/why Martin enters for Evans.)  *** 2 screenshots

<div> 
</div>
  • Few plays later…. Ogletree beats Gratz on the slant for 12 yards.  Gratz thought he was going to the sideline and when Ogletree cut inside he had to adjust and it created good separation for the WR.  Nice route by the receiver. Gratz obviously was fooled.  *screenshot

<div style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Noteworthy-Light';font-size:15px;"> 
  • Jennings 17 yd TD run.  Right up the gut. Great blocking, but Ryan Davis did have a shot to tackle the RB for a short gain and came up empty, though he was being pushed laterally by the RG.   JT Thomas was  out of his gap  - he saw the LG pull to the right and followed him. Which would have been wise had Jennings not cut behind the center instead of following the pulling guard. 

<div> 
</div>
</div>
  • One quick positive note  -  (as I've been only listing the screw-ups and there were some good defensive plays made in the first half betwixt these errors).
     Aaron Colvin lined up on Preston Parker in the slot from roughly 20 yards out. Parker heads to the corner where Eli connects in the end zone. Colvin just barely gets a hand on the WR's left elbow and gives it a tug - forcing the bobble and saving a TD.  (until Jennings runs it in)

*** screenshot 1 - Beckham/Evans 

[Image: 28uh5lc.jpg]

*** Beckham/Evans screen shot 2 (the whiff)

[Image: vxzvx2.jpg]

* screenshot  -  Ogletree fools Gratz 

[Image: 5o5f5s.jpg]
All I know is no active DB on the current depth chart has an INT this year, which is crazy considering the team is ranked 3rd overall in sacks for the NFL.

Quote:*** Beckham/Evans screen shot 2 (the whiff)

[Image: vxzvx2.jpg]

* screenshot  -  Ogletree fools Gratz 

[Image: 5o5f5s.jpg]
Please if you watched every game this year and took screen shots of Evans folly the server would crash due to the size of the files...

Weve been saying it for two years, THE TEAM NEEDS A GOOD SAFETY!
Pages: 1 2