Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars planning next round of stadium renovations for this off-season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cool to see they could be moving forward with this. 

I like the way Khan and Lamping have worked at making the stadium more appropriate for this market while enhancing the gameday experience.

Splendid they're asking the State to fund it.....

Lookin good. I wonder what the game with the Giants alone would draw in terms of out of state dollars brought to Florida. I am all about the state helping out here.

I hope this gets done.

Sorry I've got a problem using tax dollars to pay for billionaires stadiums I don't care how they justify it or that it's my favorite team.
I think the renderings look great.  I would love to see these improvements.

Quote:Sorry I've got a problem using tax dollars to pay for billionaires stadiums I don't care how they justify it or that it's my favorite team.

The stadium is owned by the city, not "bilionaires".
Quote:Sorry I've got a problem using tax dollars to pay for billionaires stadiums I don't care how they justify it or that it's my favorite team.
This is a fund that's designated for facilities like EverBank and other pro stadiums around the state that are owned by the taxpayers to keep them up to date. 
Quote:This is a fund that's designated for facilities like EverBank and other pro stadiums around the state that are owned by the taxpayers to keep them up to date.

Yea I get how it's being done i just don't think the state has any business owning financing or improving stadiums.
Quote:The stadium is owned by the city, not "bilionaires".

And it's billionaires that use it I don't want to hijack the thread it's not in the political section so I'll stop. Upgrades are exciting I like having a nice stadium I just disagree with who's footing the bill.
Quote:Splendid they're asking the State to fund it.....

I assume that was said tongue in cheek ...

The first thing I though of was - oh, god, get ready for the deluge of comments in the Times-Union regarding city/state funds being used.

Somehow this will be linked to library closings and fewer police on the streets ...
Quote:I assume that was said tongue in cheek ...

The first thing I though of was - oh, god, get ready for the deluge of comments in the Times-Union regarding city/state funds being used.

Somehow this will be linked to library closings and fewer police on the streets ...

Lol, its best to stay away from the comments section when we're talking about stadium upgrades.  It's a cess pool for Jag haters.
Quote:Yea I get how it's being done i just don't think the state has any business owning financing or improving stadiums.

Do you think the state has any business benefiting off the presence of pro sports teams?
Does this make our stadium look a little tacky? I can't tell lol
Quote:Do you think the state has any business benefiting off the presence of pro sports teams?

You're referring to the increased tax revenue of guest, fine, but if the justification for "government" spending is a return on investment we should be questions a whole plethora of things government spends money on.

To address your question directly, no I don't think governments role is to "stimulate or manage" the economy in any way shape or form, that's the role of the private sector. There's no shortage of revenue generated by these stadiums, is it insane to suggest those benefiting from it the most (local business, the NFL, attenders of the events and gasp the Jaguars) should be paying for any endeavors?
Quote:You're referring to the increased tax revenue of guest, fine, but if the justification for "government" spending is a return on investment we should be questions a whole plethora of things government spends money on.

To address your question directly, no I don't think governments role is to "stimulate or manage" the economy in any way shape or form, that's the role of the private sector. There's no shortage of revenue generated by these stadiums, is it insane to suggest those benefiting from it the most (local business, the NFL, attenders of the events and gasp the Jaguars) should be paying for any endeavors?

That is just not the reality of our form of government.  Anyways, as you said, this is more for the political board.  
Quote:Yea I get how it's being done i just don't think the state has any business owning financing or improving stadiums.

They make the state money.  It's why the state does it.
The state benefits greatly from having these teams here. Nothing wrong with helping to improve the infrastructure.
Quote:They make the state money. It's why the state does it.

I don't agree with Eric but I will point that in almost all cases the local and state governments put more into a major league sports team than they ever get out of it. Stadiums are expensive and you can only tax so much until the voters turn on you.

Having said that in the case of Jacksonville there are tons of indirect and non financial benefits to having an NFL team. Without the Jags Jacksonville would be little more than the last stop on I-95 before Georgia.
Pages: 1 2