Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Don Shula on MNF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"The only way to prove you're getting better is by winning."

So simple, yet very true.

Thought it's very fitting for some people on this message board.

We need more of what happened on Sunday.  The results DO matter - a lot.  You can't tell me our team is improving yet they can't come out on top even every now and then.

Now lets end these last 4 games with at least 2 victories and I'll be at least somewhat of a believer in this bunch.

Quote:"The only way to prove you're getting better is by winning."

We need more of what happened on Sunday.  The results DO matter - a lot.  You can't tell me our team is improving yet they can't come out on top even every now and then.

Now lets end these last 4 games with at least 2 victories and I'll be at least somewhat of a believer in this bunch.

In regards to the entire team, and not just one part of it, I don't think we've improved as a team overall.  

I do think we've gotten closer to success.   The guys starting on offense and defense are not that much better than last year, but they are much younger.   That means they can possibly develop into better players.  

So I see a difference between "getting better" and "getting closer to being better."   In building the team, you can make a lot of progress without actually getting better on the field.  

Make sense? 

Winning and results do matter no doubt, that's what we're ultimately after.  That doesn't mean that a thoughtful, knowledgeable football observer can't look at elements of a team and say "this area has improved" or "this other area needs to get better".  I personally don't consider "this team sucks!" to be very enlightened analysis.

It's not always as clear cut. I'd take a grind-it out loss against a team playing well like the Patriots/Packers/Broncos on the road over a win against a struggling team like say the Raiders at home. Its very arguable that a close loss to one of those elite teams can show more improvement than wins against other bad teams.
I thought his interview was pretty blah.

"We made sure... that.. we did what we needed to do..."  WOW HOT TAKE

Quote:It's not always as clear cut. I'd take a grind-it out loss against a team playing well like the Patriots/Packers/Broncos on the road over a win against a struggling team like say the Raiders at home. Its very arguable that a close loss to one of those elite teams can show more improvement than wins against other bad teams.

Yeah but over the course of a 16 game season - your record is usually the best indicator of how well you're doing.  
Quote:Yeah but over the course of a 16 game season - your record is usually the best indicator of how well you're doing.  
Bill Parcels - "You are what your record says you are...."

Are we a 2-10 team this year? Absolutely. We stink and I think everyone knows that. 

Are there some things we can point to and say "Hey.. we might be better next year." I think so too. But I also think we have a long way to go.
Quote:It's not always as clear cut. I'd take a grind-it out loss against a team playing well like the Patriots/Packers/Broncos on the road over a win against a struggling team like say the Raiders at home. Its very arguable that a close loss to one of those elite teams can show more improvement than wins against other bad teams.

I agree with this which is why it concerns me that our only wins have come against an average team in Cleveland (7-5 last in their division) and a bad team in the Giants.

In general, the better teams we played put us away quick and coasted to victory.  I'd take a loss against a good/great team any day so we can see true improvement.
Still, there have been a lot of bad teams that have gone the worst to first route. The Falcons in '97 come to mind. After almost managing to keep us out of the playoffs (Thanks again, Mort) they went on to become the Dirty Birds, IIRC.

Actually, '98 was their year.

The Texans looked great last week with Ryan throwing six touchdowns against the Titans (2-10) Locker (2ints) and Watt is heading for Player of the Year.

Let's look at the remaining schedule;

Texans (6-6)

vs Ravens (7-5)

Titans (2-10)

vs Texans (6-6)

-----------------------

This same time last year the Jaguars swept the Texans, and split with the Titans.  The same could be true again this year.  If that happened that would at least give the Jaguars the same season as last year with 4 wins.

I assume the Ravens on the road will be a loss, because the Ravens know it is a must win for them to get into the playoffs but the Titans looked bad against the Texans and should be easier to beat this time around.

The Texans I dont know if the team will sweep them but maybe win one... if so thats 4 wins for the season...